PDA

View Full Version : Reformat and re-install XP

Greg
22-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Yeah, call me thick, but I've forgotten how to do it!

My girlfriend's machine needs a new clean install. I have the original disk (legit copy), but I'm buggered if I can remember how to do it - ie I want to reformat and reinstall XP on it for her. Is it just a matter of shoving the disk in and follow the instructions?

SolMiester
22-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Yeah, call me thick, but I've forgotten how to do it!

My girlfriend's machine needs a new clean install. I have the original disk (legit copy), but I'm buggered if I can remember how to do it - ie I want to reformat and reinstall XP on it for her. Is it just a matter of shoving the disk in and follow the instructions?

Yes, boot to cd, it will ask if you want to repair etc....you will have the option to delete partition and re-create...easy peazy

Speedy Gonzales
22-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Change the bootdisk in the BIOS to cd, save settings, reboot. Press a key when it says to. Follow what comes on the screen

SolMiester
22-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Dont forget to check what the various components are in the system, sound card, graphic card, NIC etc!, before wiping!
Download to a USB stick or something 1st!

Snorkbox
22-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Also after reformat install the Motherboard drivers from the motherboard CD or from the hardware manufacturers.

pctek
22-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Back up her stuff first (pull her HDD out and slave it yo yours).
Download and have ready all motherboard drivers, Graphics etc etc.
Boot off CD, follow instructions.

wainuitech
22-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Step by step-

Boot from CD, press any key when prompted
The top option is what you want - Setup Windows XP now --PRESS ENTER
DO NOT use the option to press R - this will simply load up the recovery partition, not give the option to reinstall, the recovery partition is used for fixing a damaged system.

Press F8 to agree
Bottom Option - Press ESC

This will then give you the options to delete etc - follow onscreen instructions.

nofam
22-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Like Sol and others have said, back up the drivers to a USB stick etc before you rebuild - makes it a lot easier to get all your peripherals back up and running without trawling through the internet for drivers, which can be quite time-consuming.

Have service packs/IE8/Windows Media Player 11 etc ready too. . .much quicker than having to re-download them.

Double Driver (http://www.boozet.org/dd.htm) is a great Freeware app for this.

Edit:==> Make sure you select NTFS when you reformat too, not FAT32

Speedy Gonzales
22-09-2010, 01:50 PM
And if its got a SATA hdd and AHCI is enabled, you're need the SATA drivers, before you start. Or you'll have to disable AHCI in the BIOS first