PDA

View Full Version : I.P. Address

10-09-2001, 12:14 PM
Can someone please tell me where you can find the I.P. Address of your computer so it can be made exempt from someones firewall.

10-09-2001, 12:46 PM
Hi. Assuming you're running Windows 9.x, go Start, Run, and type in 'winipcfg' without the quotes, then hit enter.

10-09-2001, 01:54 PM
Just be aware that if you are on a dial-up connection, your IP address will change each time you connect.

Cheers

10-09-2001, 02:31 PM
Thanks Greg, yes some of us use Win9X but there is opne on Win 3.1 how do we find that one.

10-09-2001, 07:48 PM
not sure if this works on 3.1,go to a dos prompt in file manager & type in IPCONFIG

hope it works for you,cheers steve

10-09-2001, 11:33 PM
Windows 3.1 didnt have a built in TCP/IP stack as in those days Microsoft didnt think that the internet would catch on, so there were different programs around. If your friend is running Trumpet Winsock there was a dialler called tcpman.exe. Running this will give the IP address on connection.
If the 16 bit Internet Explorer 3 or 4 for win3.1 is being used which has a built in dialler, then when connection is made a connection icon will appear, sometimes hidden behind Program Manager, depends on how the windows are set up. If you double click on this connection icon it shows you the IP address.
There were several other popular programs like Chameleon, Internet in a Box etc used with win3.1, IBM had their own dialler which showed IP address, so your friend really has to do a bit of digging to find their IP address, but it will be there somewhere, associated with the dialler program.
Good Luck