PDA

View Full Version : Best Razors?

pantera989
21-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I have been using an electric shaver for a few years and have gotten so sick of breakages and blades going blunt long before their supposed to that I'm ready to give them up.

Anyone have recommendations on shaving razors?

robbyp
21-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I have been using an electric shaver for a few years and have gotten so sick of breakages and blades going blunt long before their supposed to that I'm ready to give them up.

Its sounds like you are using a cheap electric one? I would recommend the more expensive braun ones, which use a foil. Far better than those philips rotary ones, or the cheaper brand ones

Erayd
21-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Anyone have recommendations on shaving razors?I've found that most things with 3+ blades seem to do the job pretty well. Avoid the bic cheapies, they're evil!

Edit: This (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/5/7798564_460c1eccca.jpg) is mine (and again without the packaging (http://farm1.static.flickr.com/69/216981056_0c1c9d993b.jpg)). Blades seem to last several months, and replacement blades are stocked by most supermarkets.

SurferJoe46
21-09-2010, 06:28 PM
The Norelcos are junk. They nip and you bleed more from their electric than if you used a straight razor for the first time.

Actually - the cheapie BICs without the white lubrication strip were pretty good and they discontinued them. Figgers.

My dad had an old Schick 1066 that he used on submarines during the war and after until he retired and then some.

It was so good that he gave it to my mother to shave her legs. I think she demanded to be cremated with it in the end.

Trev
21-09-2010, 06:59 PM
I use a Gillette Fusion Powered. Uses a 5 blade cartridge. You buy the cartridges in a pack of 4 for about $26. I can get over a fortnights use from a cartridge.
:)

ubergeek85
21-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Personally I use a Gilette Mach 3, not fancy or anything, but it does the job.

SP8's
21-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Be a man .... use wax !!

gary67
21-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Personally I use a Gilette Mach 3, not fancy or anything, but it does the job.

I use one of these. But after each shave I store the blade head in a pot of Olive oil as it is rust that makes the blades blunt not use. I can get 5-6 months from a blade using this method. Tight yes I am when it comes to some things :clap

somebody
21-09-2010, 09:05 PM
I recently bought a cheap Remington foil (electric) shaver and it works quite well. I've found it manages to shave as close as a real razor does (I used to use Schick Quattro Titanium - they were good, but the blades were expensive - I'd have to replace them every 2-3 weeks).

R2x1
21-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Don't be such a bunch of wimps. Emery cloth is quick and effective, keeps the circulation going, and lasts for years as long as you rinse the blood off each morning.

Metla
21-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Electric razor is one of the best things I have ever bought, I'll never go back to a standard razor.

I have just found that for the most comfortable shave I have to do it twice a day, still...it takes all of 30 seconds and is mess free.

wainuitech
21-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Personally I use a Gilette Mach 3, not fancy or anything, but it does the job. Ditto - same here.

Paul.Cov
21-09-2010, 10:22 PM
I've been using a Braun foil for many years, but am feeling a bit frustrated with the experience.

Problem #1 - it's absolutely useless on long growth, and the beard trimmer died really ealty in its life..
Promlem #2 - the slightest dent to the foil through miss-handling or travelling (being jambed into a toilet bag) will result in a rapidly forming hole in the foil... and a nipping experience! The foils cost heaps to replace.

Might have to try that oil trick on my blade razors. If it works I might be more inclined to use one of the expensive models with a zillion blades, and ditch the Braun.

Terry Porritt
21-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Wouldn't have a clue, can't remember when I shaved last :).

My grownup 'children' have never seen me clean shaven, and the eldest of my grandchildren is now 24 :banana. I seem to remember Blue Gillette (http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/old_radio_commercials/Gillette_Blades_2.mp3) gave a good shave, but those safety razor single blades seem to have long gone.

Gem blades (http://www.oldtimeradiofans.com/old_radio_commercials/Gem_Blades.mp3) was another.

John H
21-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Yer all a buncha wimps. Desperate Dan used to knock his whiskers back in with a hammer and bite them off from the inside.

Terry Porritt
21-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Yer all a buncha wimps. Desperate Dan used to knock his whiskers back in with a hammer and bite them off from the inside.

I think you're getting carried away... he used a blowlamp to shave with :eek:

Erayd
21-09-2010, 11:10 PM
...used to use Schick Quattro Titanium - they were good, but the blades were expensive - I'd have to replace them every 2-3 weeks).Interesting - I have the same razor, and the blades easily last a couple of months, sometimes more, shaving most weekday mornings. What were you doing to yours?

nofam
21-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Interesting - I have the same razor, and the blades easily last a couple of months, sometimes more, shaving most weekday mornings. What were you doing to yours?

It usually comes down to how heavy one's beard is - I'd say I'm a moderate, so I can get about a month out of my Schick Quattro. My brother though, is quite dark, and has a very heavy beard - after a week his blades are useless.

mikebartnz
21-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Grow a beard and save time and money. Haven't shaved in over 33 years.

BobM
22-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Bic Quick shavers, orange handle, white top. 2 weeks shaving per blade. :D

pantera989
22-09-2010, 03:17 AM
Grow a beard and save time and money. Haven't shaved in over 33 years.

Unfortunately my work contract requires me to be clean shaven, and I work night shifts and get called in allot, hence why I got an electric shaver for a quick 1 min shave before rushing off to work.

I might try one of those Braun foils, but where do you buy them? I checked the Noel Leemings and Harvey Norman websites and couldn't find them.

somebody
22-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Interesting - I have the same razor, and the blades easily last a couple of months, sometimes more, shaving most weekday mornings. What were you doing to yours?

Just shaving normally every morning. After a couple of weeks the blades start to get noticeably dull and become quite ineffective at giving a close shave.

gary67
22-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Yep rust does that

rob_on_guitar
22-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Show us a 33 year old beard....

Nomad
22-09-2010, 08:39 AM
What's in our ... tv show said the manual razors are closer and smoother on the skin but takes some skin off with it. Schick (sp?), the blade is stronger than Gillette's. A 3 blade system is a closer shave than a 2 blade system.

Re: aftershaves and stuff, I have found that EDT or aftershave dries the skin right out and prefer the aftershave balm. Ie., you can see white skin marks after EDT is applied. Some may also have skin lotion good for the sun rays .. which they say the best younger looking skin etc .. is sun lotion than all those jazz out there ..

Plus it said that one of the lady shaves are a better design than the men's shavers, haha.

Trev
22-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Gillette Fusion has 5 blades.

Cato
22-09-2010, 10:12 AM

x2

Use Mach 3.

Cicero
22-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Just bought this and very pleased.

http://www.bigw.com.au/home-garden/small-appliances/health-personal-care/bpnBIGW_0000000106264/remington-titanium-pivot-flex-shaver-f5790

mikebartnz
22-09-2010, 10:44 AM
I'll take pity on your screen and not put by ugly mug on it.:D
Just trimmed it recently so doesn't look very impressive but over the years have had quite a few comments on it as it is very even and doesn't look like the rats have been at it like some.

Renmoo
22-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Homebrand.

Snorkbox
22-09-2010, 11:16 AM
I use a Gillette Fusion 5 bladed which is battery operated.

robsonde
22-09-2010, 11:25 AM
I went old school about a year ago...
http://badgerandblade.com/

you can get a nice new handle on trademe for about $40.
$7 for a pack of 10 blades, each blade lasts me two weeks.

takes a bit of time to get the skill, but very worth it.

Strommer
22-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Electric razor is one of the best things I have ever bought, I'll never go back to a standard razor.

I have just found that for the most comfortable shave I have to do it twice a day, still...it takes all of 30 seconds and is mess free.

Same here.

The Norelcos are junk. They nip and you bleed more from their electric than if you used a straight razor for the first time.

Maybe the newer Norelcos are junk but not the one I bought in the USA in 1989.

The electric razor that I have is a 3 head rotary Norelco (Philips).
I have had it over 20 years, replaced the batteries twice and one rotary blade - and yes the other two rotary blades are original. Still does a great job. Norelco marketed the shaver has having blades that were "self-sharpening", and they must be I guess since they have lasted so long (must have been a profit killer as I don't see any shavers these days advertised as having self-sharpening blades.

Last year Farmers had a half price sale on shavers, with a 30 day money back guarantee. I bought one, Braun I think, original price approx $200. My old Norelco/Philips was OK but I thought surely a new expensive shaver would be better. It wasn't. I returned it, much to the surprise of the guy in Farmers. Got my money back.

robbyp
22-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Same here.

Maybe the newer Norelcos are junk but not the one I bought in the USA in 1989.

The electric razor that I have is a 3 head rotary Norelco (Philips).
I have had it over 20 years, replaced the batteries twice and one rotary blade - and yes the other two rotary blades are original. Still does a great job. Norelco marketed the shaver has having blades that were "self-sharpening", and they must be I guess since they have lasted so long (must have been a profit killer as I don't see any shavers these days advertised as having self-sharpening blades.

Last year Farmers had a half price sale on shavers, with a 30 day money back guarantee. I bought one, Braun I think, original price approx $200. My old Norelco/Philips was OK but I thought surely a new expensive shaver would be better. It wasn't. I returned it, much to the surprise of the guy in Farmers. Got my money back.

The expensive braun ones are far better than the cheap braun ones, as they use a different system. It is a case of getting what you pay for.

Cato
22-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Last year Farmers had a half price sale on shavers, with a 30 day money back guarantee.

That's kinda disgusting... Personal hygiene products should never be returnable/refundable/exchangable (unless they are defective).
That's almost like saying, hey lets use someone else's discarded condom, we'll clean it first - so it's cool. Not cool.

Agent_24
22-09-2010, 08:48 PM
It's just a bit of old hair...

Do you demand the barber buys new equipment every time you go to get a haircut?

Cato
22-09-2010, 08:51 PM
It's just a bit of old hair...

Do you demand the barber buys new equipment every time you go to get a haircut?

Would you buy a secondhand toothbrush off trademe?

Erayd
22-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Would you buy a secondhand toothbrush off trademe?Depends what for. Certainly not for cleaning teeth with though!

Agent_24
22-09-2010, 09:15 PM
Would you buy a secondhand toothbrush off trademe?

No, but it's not the same thing as a shaver.

Metla
22-09-2010, 09:40 PM
I'd consider a shaver and a toothbrush to be similar in that respect, no way in hell would I share either with another person.

robbyp
22-09-2010, 11:22 PM
That's kinda disgusting... Personal hygiene products should never be returnable/refundable/exchangable (unless they are defective).
That's almost like saying, hey lets use someone else's discarded condom, we'll clean it first - so it's cool. Not cool.

No they are sent back to the manufacturer to redo, if it is part of their trial period. At least they should be.

Strommer
22-09-2010, 11:29 PM
No they are sent back to the manufacturer to redo, if it is part of their trial period. At least they should be.

Surely. Then the head would be sterilized or discarded. No way would it be resold. Or maybe the unit is stripped for parts, or binned.

Cato
23-09-2010, 07:30 AM
robbyp & Strommer, I have a hard time believing that. It's simply too expensive.

It's a standard worldwide practice that hygiene products are not refundable.

Bond & Bond & Noel Leeming: With the exception of software and personal hygiene products & headphones, you can return an item for a refund within 7 days of purchase...

Strommer
23-09-2010, 09:46 AM
robbyp & Strommer, I have a hard time believing that. It's simply too expensive.

Bond & Bond & Noel Leeming: With the exception of software and personal hygiene products & headphones, you can return an item for a refund within 7 days of purchase...

The money-back guarantee was stated on the box - from the manufacturer. It is NOT the store guarantee. It could have been Remington or something else besides Braun - cannot recall. Braun electric toothbrushes also have the same money back guarantee. If you still don't believe it, go and check for yourself.

Strommer
23-09-2010, 09:53 AM

Here ya go:

http://www.braun.com/au/male-grooming/shavers.html
It is actually a 60-day guarantee.

http://www.saveyoursmile.com/products/pr/braun-toothbrushes.html
"100% Money Back Guarantee..."

Cicero
23-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Bought mine from here...........

http://www.shavershop.co.nz/

Cato
23-09-2010, 01:09 PM
The money-back guarantee was stated on the box - from the manufacturer. It is NOT the store guarantee. It could have been Remington or something else besides Braun - cannot recall. Braun electric toothbrushes also have the same money back guarantee. If you still don't believe it, go and check for yourself.

Ah, that's different then. I assumed it was a store guarantee, totally different things.

You know what they say, assumptions make an ass outta ya or in this case me. :)

ManUFan
23-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I use one of these. But after each shave I store the blade head in a pot of Olive oil as it is rust that makes the blades blunt not use. I can get 5-6 months from a blade using this method. Tight yes I am when it comes to some things :clap

I too use one of these. Have been using the same blade for MONTHS! But as I have a goatee I only shave a small proportion of my face, and then only once or twice a week. I too am frugal! :banana

Trev
23-09-2010, 02:41 PM
There is really no best razor. What razor works will for one person may not work will for another person. Skin and whisker type comes into it. Whether your skin is sensitive or not or your whiskers are soft or not etc.

Strommer
23-09-2010, 03:25 PM
I too use one of these. Have been using the same blade for MONTHS! But as I have a goatee I only shave a small proportion of my face, and then only once or twice a week. I too am frugal! :banana

I am curious if you also store your blades in oil to make them last longer.

QW.
23-09-2010, 03:39 PM
The old drag and scrape is better than those electric shavers. Some of the good electric shavers I have tried were useless.

Nomad
23-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Electric is easier on skin but not as close.

Manual razors feels softer and smoother due to some skin taken off.

Schick is a longer laster blade than Gillette. Evaluated by a Metallurgist.
5 blade system is better than the few blade systems (for manual razors).
Not sure about cut throat razors thou.

From some pro's and some of design students, they found the Gillette Ladyshave the pink one better but doubt men would use it but in theory I guess it might be possible in terms of its use - to shave.

Nomad
23-09-2010, 04:37 PM

A packet of 5 blade isn't it for me last like a year or more :p
Now with a course I may shave 3 or 4x a week. When they go blunt you can reshave next to the mirror over the affected areas so they are more/less all shaven :D

With new blades I find them easier to get a small nick/cut.

Billy T
23-09-2010, 05:46 PM

I have a Remington twin-head reciprocating and a Philishave three-head rotary. I've had both for many years. I just keep them clean and I've never had to change the blades. I had to replace the Remington foils when they were accidentally damaged, but that is all. I always empty them after each shave, and occasionally give them a good brush out and spray with cleaner-lubricant. Apart from that they seem to shave like new.

Unless you have growth like fencing wire or you don't care for them properly, I can't see why you should have breakages or blunt blades.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Cicero
23-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I have a Remington twin-head reciprocating and a Philishave three-head rotary. I've had both for many years. I just keep them clean and I've never had to change the blades. I had to replace the Remington foils when they were accidentally damaged, but that is all. I always empty them after each shave, and occasionally give them a good brush out and spray with cleaner-lubricant. Apart from that they seem to shave like new.

Unless you have growth like fencing wire or you don't care for them properly, I can't see why you should have breakages or blunt blades.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Oh so true B,my way too.

Metla
23-09-2010, 07:04 PM
I get 3 shaves max out of a regular shaver, and on that third shave I suffer some serious wounds.

The cheap disposable shavers I get one shave out of, sometimes I had to use two razors, one to get the bulk off and a second to shave what was left behind.

It was costing me a fortune...in money and blood.

ManUFan
24-09-2010, 01:17 PM

No - just have an iron face :)