PDA

View Full Version : VMware or other option??

berryb
21-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I haven't had much to do with Virtual software besides XP Mode in on Win 7. I have a client who was sold Win 7 Home 64bit and was told it would run all their old programs that are currently on Win 2000, which it will not. There is a number of old programs CAD etc that are the issue here.

I was going to setup XP Mode but found it was Home version (I was told it was Pro) so canít use it.

Is it possible to use VMware or some other virtual software (preferably free) on Win 7 and take an image of the Win 2000 box and restore to virtual software on Win 7 and use it that way?

Or would Win 2000 have to be installed from scratch.

The best option may be to upgrade Win 7 to Pro so XP Mode can be used.

Barnabas
21-09-2010, 06:02 PM
You could use VirtualBox and disk2vhd which are both free.

VirtualBox runs machines quite happily.....have used it for quite a few things including running XP inside my Windows 7 laptop. Disk2VHD is a sysinternals tool which will convert the Windows 2000 machine. Then create a new virtual machine inside VirtualBox, choose to use an existing disk and choose the vhd you have created.

Install the VirtualBox tools afterwards and you should hopefully be away.

Hope that helps.

B.

wainuitech
21-09-2010, 06:04 PM
you can use VMlite (http://www.vmlite.com/) as the Host, then simply load in XP mode, just when you download it, select professional or above as selecting Home wont allow the download.

SolMiester
21-09-2010, 08:48 PM
VMWare is streets ahead of any of the above programs and also free. You can also download the free P2V convertor...

notechyet
21-09-2010, 11:56 PM
X2 for VMWare!
And it does all what you require.

berryb
22-09-2010, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the replies, great help. I played with VMware a couple of years ago but never found the time to give it justice so I now have the opportunity to do so.

Using your advice and looking at the VMware website I should go for VMware Player and the vCentre Converter. Is this the correct path?

I like the idea of converting the Win 2000 OS over to VMware with no configuration changes to the OS as such and the ability to import from an Acronis image.

Sherman
22-09-2010, 01:34 AM
Last time I tried VMWare only the player was free, and it didn't include any guest additions for stuff like seamless mouse integration and better graphics resolution support. It was also a massive download. And the most annoying thing was you had to register before you could download.
Just looking at the VMware site, not a lot has changed.

Personally, I tend to use VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/). It has USB support, (experimental) 3D acceleration support, and guest additions are available for the major OS's.

SolMiester
22-09-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the replies, great help. I played with VMware a couple of years ago but never found the time to give it justice so I now have the opportunity to do so.

Using your advice and looking at the VMware website I should go for VMware Player and the vCentre Converter. Is this the correct path?

I like the idea of converting the Win 2000 OS over to VMware with no configuration changes to the OS as such and the ability to import from an Acronis image.

Yes VW ware player 3.1 and convertor 4.1, oh and VMWare player also has USB support (not experimental and shared folder on host)

wainuitech
22-09-2010, 10:39 AM
VMware area bit OTT aren't they ?

If you want to download it from their site, you have to register -- OK name and email - no problems - but full postal address, phone number, company details -- they can take a flying leap -no thanks :(

nofam
22-09-2010, 10:51 AM
VMware area bit OTT aren't they ?

If you want to download it from their site, you have to register -- OK name and email - no problems - but full postal address, phone number, company details -- they can take a flying leap -no thanks :(

Indeed. . . .plenty of 'unofficial' mirrors around that have the free VMplayer though (certainly not suggesting you download ESXi from a torrent or anything)

Have also found out that despite shelling our $$$k for their vSphere product, I also have to pay to lodge a support ticket request. . . . .:xmouth:

mikebartnz
22-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Last time I tried VMWare only the player was free, and it didn't include any guest additions for stuff like seamless mouse integration and better graphics resolution support. It was also a massive download. And the most annoying thing was you had to register before you could download.
Just looking at the VMware site, not a lot has changed.

Personally, I tend to use VirtualBox (http://www.virtualbox.org/). It has USB support, (experimental) 3D acceleration support, and guest additions are available for the major OS's.
I would back VirtualBox. Have found it very good and have tried numerous OS's on it.
VirtualBox Open Source Edition (OSE) doesn't have USB support but the full version does which is free for private use.

SolMiester
22-09-2010, 01:04 PM
Indeed. . . .plenty of 'unofficial' mirrors around that have the free VMplayer though (certainly not suggesting you download ESXi from a torrent or anything)

Have also found out that despite shelling our $$$k for their vSphere product, I also have to pay to lodge a support ticket request. . . . .:xmouth:

??, really, we pay $1700 annual for maintenance including support tickets and all upgrades

As I already register with full details, Im not that worried, but dont see the issue with them getting your details!...some people are just hard to please I guess!

berryb
22-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for all the posts. All very interesting. I have downloaded VMware products as suggested and will do a test using the converter program to convert a XP Pro box over.

One question, I assume I have to create a blank Virtual Machine and then use converter to put the OS into the virtual machine?

I have read the help file but this part is not clear.

I will find out one way or the other once I try it. :)

Deimos
22-09-2010, 03:20 PM
There is a hack (I'm not 100% sure, you might not even need to hack, just install) to get the MS virtualisation working on any version of Windows 7, once you have it setup its fairly easy to install a version of Windows on to it, XP is probably the best way to go as it supports some funky way to launch a program outside the VM.

Deimos
22-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Wait, I just realised why only pro supports "XP mode", its because MS gives you a licence for XP as well, whereas the lesser version do not give you the XP licence, it doesn't prevent you from using the virtual machine software, or from using your own XP licence that you may already have.

SolMiester
22-09-2010, 06:43 PM
One question, I assume I have to create a blank Virtual Machine and then use converter to put the OS into the virtual machine?

I have read the help file but this part is not clear.

I will find out one way or the other once I try it. :)

Is the PC that you will virtualise still running?, if so, its better to generalise the device settings before you convert, ie: generic IDE controller, etc etc, that way it will boot as a VM, you will probably have to re-activate. You dont need to create blank drive the converter does it all!

berryb
23-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Hi Sol
I have VMware Player and converter on Win 7 64bit and testing the converter with a going XP Pro box. I have created a virtual machine OK but it only gives a blue screen on booting. I hadn't generalised it beforehand so this is why.

But I thought I would try and do a repair install and got it to boot from the CD but gets part way through the repair install and I get the error "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Contact your admin etc etc"

This is an Enterprise licensed version of XP Pro that was on a Domain but has been removed. Not sure why I would get that error when booting from the CD but it's not going to work.

I will generalise the XP Pro box and try another convert.

As per what started this post my client wants his old programs to work so hopefully I can get his Win 2000 box to virtualise without impact on the software. At least using this method I will not corrupt any files on the exisitng 2000 box.

Even if it doesn't work I'm learning something!

berryb
28-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Well after a few attemps the XP Pro I have converted blue screen on boot everytime even after generalising as much as I could before the convert. Both the XP and Win 7 (with VM Player installed) are AMD so I thought this would work.

My next move is to clean install XP into a virtual machine and see if it will run.

Not looking good for my clients Win 2000 box booting after a convert. Not that I have tried and may not be worth the time involved. I would have to do onsite.

SolMiester
28-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Well after a few attemps the XP Pro I have converted blue screen on boot everytime even after generalising as much as I could before the convert. Both the XP and Win 7 (with VM Player installed) are AMD so I thought this would work.

My next move is to clean install XP into a virtual machine and see if it will run.

Not looking good for my clients Win 2000 box booting after a convert. Not that I have tried and may not be worth the time involved. I would have to do onsite.

Relax......do a repair install on XP, that will keep installed programs working. As for Win2000, it doesnt have sata or AHCI to worry about......

berryb
28-09-2010, 06:42 PM
When I try and do a repair by booting from CD I get "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Contact your admin etc etc" part way through the repair.

Just had a thought, that CD is XP SP1 where as the virtual machine would be XP SP3. Not that this has every been an issue for me in the past but ........

somebody
28-09-2010, 06:49 PM
When I try and do a repair by booting from CD I get "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Contact your admin etc etc" part way through the repair.

Just had a thought, that CD is XP SP1 where as the virtual machine would be XP SP3. Not that this has every been an issue for me in the past but ........

I've P2V'd a couple of machines at work using http://vizioncore.com/free/vconverter - people's old desktops with some random app they needed to use a couple of times a year.

Was the BSOD you got a Stop 0x0000007B error? I hit this problem several times and found this solution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/

somebody
28-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Also have a read of http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Migrate_Windows even though it isn't specifically for VMWare.

Speedy Gonzales
28-09-2010, 07:01 PM
Have you slipstreamed SATA drivers and trying to run an ISO in a VM??

If you are, it will crash with the stop error somebody posted. If you've slipstreamed SATA drivers, it'll only work once you burn the ISO on a real system

SolMiester
29-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Never seen that before, are you sure you are doing a repair where it deletes system files and re-installs rather than the repair console where you input the administrator name and password.
Repair install doesn't access the operating system, so how can GPO interfere?

berryb
29-09-2010, 09:08 AM
I will check out the links provided this evening.

Sol - doing a repair install, in virtual machine booted form CD, Repair option and gets gets about half way through to the Loading Devices and get the error.

Better go do some work now.

wainuitech
29-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Never seen that before, are you sure you are doing a repair where it deletes system files and re-installs rather than the repair console where you input the administrator name and password.
Repair install doesn't access the operating system, so how can GPO interfere? Errrr yeah it does ( kind of) a repair install is attempting to repair the original install of Windows.

If there are corruptions within the OS you may get the error message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Contact your admin etc etc" part way through the repair." If it were a FULL reinstall then all the drive would be wiped.

Trouble is, once you start a repair install going, theres no going back, so you cant return to before you started -- you may have to do a full reinstall.

I have come across that sort of thing often, with different error messages, and every time its been due to a badly corrupted OS.
I have created a virtual machine OK but it only gives a blue screen on booting. This more than likely would have been caused by the Virtual machine. Seems VM Player and your OS dont like one another. :(

If its only the Virtual Machine giving problems, and you can boot into windows normally, simply wipe the VM, and start again.

A repair install wont always fix the problem, if the system is to badly damaged it cant fix it (Got Two Customers PC's in the workshop now, similar thing) the only way to fix them is complete reinstall.

SolMiester
29-09-2010, 09:30 AM
WT, Im not sure if the repair install actually interfaces with the o/s, like it does with the repair console where you login to the account.

The VM is BSOD due to driver issues, that all, it has nothing to do with VMWare, it would probably do the same with any other virtualisation platform.

The VM is loading and failing with device driver registered in the o/s. Usually a repair install fixes this.
Seems the convertion will have to be done again, however before doing so, greater care will need to be taken to general everything to do with the boot process, chipset, IDE controllers, VGA, sound etc.....actually, you could just uninstall the vga and sound and NIC and let VMplayer provide the devices as new on 1st boot.

Just be sure not to reboot the pc before conversion, or windows will restore all the device drivers.