PDA

View Full Version : A tricky problem - Vista wont / cant get to the install screen

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Vista stopped loading / booting. So, I decided to select safe mode, and it looked like it kept stopping on crcdisk.sys (which looks like a common prob). So, in the end, I decided to reformat / reinstall Vista.

Only prob is, it'd boot from the DVD, but do nothing else (the green bar just went on and on). And never made it to the install screen. Why, I have no idea. Dont know if its because its a 1 TB hdd (only prob is, it was on the same hdd previously, and installed fine). I thought the dvd rom itself was dying, but no its fine. Since Windows 7 gets to the install screen, and I can install it.

So, anyone have any ideas why Vista wont even get to the install screen, whereas Win7 can?

PS: Just tried the DVD in the other PC, it was fine, it got to the install screen (but its not 1 TB either)

wainuitech
20-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Haven't go t DAEMON Tools slipstreamed in have you ?

Apparently sptd.sys which is located WINDOWS\System32\Drivers can be one cause.

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2010, 06:29 PM
Nope, just the normal Vista DVD. Nothing else is or has been slipstreamed (it'll probably take all year to do that with Vista) :lol:

CYaBro
20-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Is the 1TB HDD OK? Not starting to fail maybe?

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Well I think so, coz I'm using it with Win7 right now. Since thats the only thing that'll install

pctek
20-09-2010, 06:34 PM
Read this:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistasetup/thread/86ef2cea-808a-40ec-bc30-7a426577f48d/

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Ah right, I could try that (I'll remove 2 GB - I'm using 4 GB). Altho, I've never had probs with installing Windows before with 4 GB. And umm Vista has been fine for the last 5-6 mths (till now :lol:). Its never had daemontools on it (only poweriso), but this has never caused probs before.

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Very strange. Took both sticks of ram out. And put them in separately, no go. Even tried another DVD rom and no go. It sounds like this hdd maybe the prob?? And the the normal Vista DVD (without service packs)?

wainuitech
20-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Just a thought --

Boot the PC from some partitioning software, format the drive first, then try loading in Vista.

I had that the other day when building a new PC, the bloody thing wouldn't see a 640GB drive till it was formatted, then worked perfectly.

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2010, 07:58 PM
The prob isnt, Vista cant see the hdd. The prob is, it wont even get to the install screen. So I can format / do anything with it. And the prob isnt the dvd rom or the dvd. Because if I put the dvd in the other PC's DVD, the install screen comes up pretty quick. I thought it maybe because the sata drivers cant recopgnise a 1 TB (for Vista). But thats not going to help, if I can't even get to the install screen to add updated drivers

wainuitech
20-09-2010, 09:16 PM
That was similar to what I had with the 640GB - it was showing in the BIOS fine. I connected the drive to a workshop PC, W7 went into admin tools, disk management, and it wouldn't show there either.

I put the drive back in the New PC, booted from Paragon Partition Manager, which saw the drive, made a partition and formatted it, THEN Windows 7 saw the drive and installed.

Why this happened I dont know.

Your drive sounds like its OK, if it weren't then W7 wouldn't see or install either.

kahawai chaser
20-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Well seems similar to this description (http://forums.techarena.in/vista-hardware-devices/1076186.htm), where the drive was formatted from a working system, then Vista installed once the drive was connected back as the primary drive.

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Yup its the 1st time its happened (that the install screen didnt come up). And its rather annoying ! I tried Ubuntu that was fine tho. The live cd loaded

wainuitech
20-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Question asked in PM Speedy ??

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Answered

wainuitech
20-09-2010, 11:09 PM
:D

Speedy Gonzales
21-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Managed to fix it. Saw on the MS forum, that USB legacy support can also cause this prob. Disabled it and the install screen decided to turn up lol. So, Vista is now reinstalled. And just updating it again now. I'll reinstall Win7, once I get a copy from either CB, or WT. Depending on who's cheaper :p And will probably install it next week

SoniKalien
21-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Don't ya love it when you find the solution *after* you post about it :p

Speedy Gonzales
21-09-2010, 11:30 AM
lol you said it :badpc: I knew it wasn't me, the dvd rom, the dvd, or the ram. So, there wasn't much else to choose from :p Just funny that USB legacy was enabled before and Vista was on the same hdd before. It just didn't want to install / play nice this time :p

kahawai chaser
21-09-2010, 05:39 PM
I had a funny felling it was a USB issue, but I assumed you may have known that. I recall one time I had to have USB enabled or something to reboot XP with BartPE boot disc and it's USB plug in.

So it seems Vista would not install because it was trying to seek if there was a USB drive or not?

Speedy Gonzales
21-09-2010, 05:58 PM
No, it was because of the USB legacy support option in the BIOS (it was enabled). I didn't have any USB drives, or flash drives plugged in (at the time).

It may have been because of the wireless adapter (the kb and mouse are wireless).

Altho, I replaced it with a PS/2 mouse and kb. It made no diff. The printer does have a card reader, BUT it was off at the time. Just strange that its never happened before (and the version of Vista I tried to install, has been on the hdd before). I couldnt install it because the install screen never appeared

Speedy Gonzales
22-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Hmm think I know what the prob was now. There's a USB / firewire card in a PCI slot. Just noticed in device manager there was a prob with 2 USB hub entries.

So, I deleted the entries in DM. It hung again on reboot. So, I removed this card and it booted again. So, I put it back in, and put a molex connector on it (its got a connection for power). And it booted again. The PCI slot probably didn't / doesn't have enough power to run it?? Funny that it was fine before now (without connecting the molex connector). But it only hung in Vista (w/o the power). It was fine booting into Win7

kahawai chaser
22-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Just thinking - Unless it's something to do with Vista recognizing the molex connector - is it USB? If it is - then maybe an IRQ may have been assigned (e.g. via USB Controller) to it recently somehow - perhaps from the BIOS. Maybe check IRQ's/Resources?

Speedy Gonzales
22-09-2010, 02:45 PM
No the molex connector is from the PSU. It can provide power to this PCI card. Well this PCI card didn't need power before (it was working, from the PCI slot itself).