PDA

View Full Version : Netbooks with built-in 3G - recommendations

FAB
20-09-2010, 10:33 AM
Morning All

We are running 4 Tosh NB200s with built-in 3G (only HSPA) and they are ok, if quite slow on 3G.

Anyone else running other brands/models of netbook with built-in 3G who can give me some real-life feedback?

Cheers

SolMiester
20-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I use Telecom 3G from USB sticks, I would never use builtin as you are locked to a vendor!

FAB
20-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Locked into a vendor?? You mean Tosh? Why would that be an issue SM?

Our guys are on theh road - having something sticking out of the side is a recipe for breakages...and I've already had to dump some T sticks because of broken contacts. Tried soldering them but no joy.

Nomad
20-09-2010, 11:38 AM
i heard that it is possible to swap simcards in any usb sticks. like a Voda 3G stick could use 2D simcard.

SolMiester
20-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Locked into a vendor?? You mean Tosh? Why would that be an issue SM?

Our guys are on theh road - having something sticking out of the side is a recipe for breakages...and I've already had to dump some T sticks because of broken contacts. Tried soldering them but no joy.

I understand the risk of USB sticks sticking out the side, you could get a cable extension with Velcro the stick it to the lid!
As for builtin, are those modems not bespoke for the vendor they setup?, ie: AT&T!!

FAB
20-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Haev got extension calbes - but hey it's just another thing to carry aruond and for our remote users to lose...less cables etc = better. I like to keep it simple.

We have trialled Telecom, Vodafone and 2 Degrees SIMs in them so no locking in as far as we need them to be.