PDA

View Full Version : Does Windows XP SP2 Disable invalid XP OS?

learning
19-09-2010, 09:52 PM
I would like to know if Windows XP Service Pack 2 validates if existing Windows XP is a legitmate copy or not ?

No i am not into piracy but i need to upgrade a PC for someone running Windows XP SP 1 to SP 2 and i have a hunch its not legit copy.

But i dont want to attempt upgrade and then find Windows XP gets totally locked down or wont boot up.

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Pass. I slipstreamed SP3. Altho, there's no point in installing SP2, since SP2 is no longer supported. Install SP3.

learning
19-09-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah its a very basic PC for occasional web surfing. I thought Sp3 would prolly be more tough towards disabling invalid copies of XP hence i am not keen on goign SP3

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2010, 10:07 PM
According to wikipedia

Service Pack 2 only checks for the same small list of commonly used keys as Service Pack 1. This means that while Service Pack 2 will not install on copies of Windows XP which use the older set of copied keys, those who use keys which have been posted more recently may be able to update their systems.

learning
19-09-2010, 10:13 PM
ok thanks speedy...that helped

Paul.Cov
20-09-2010, 12:08 AM
The safe strategy... image the drive before applying any updates, then at least you can roll it back to how it was before your help was enlisted, and escape being in the dog house when their bogus copy gets shut down.

Trev
20-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Do it and I hope it destroys there OS so they have to buy one. You guys shouldn't be helping this person as per forum rules.
:)