PDA

View Full Version : Pfft! Who needs Blu-Ray?

The Error Guy
18-09-2010, 07:55 PM
Huh! who need bluray these days? now we have RED ray!!! complete with 4k support
http://www.red.com/redray/

bob_doe_nz
18-09-2010, 08:30 PM
And on related news, the master key for Blu Ray has been discovered.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/09/17/0247246/HDCP-Master-Key-Is-Legitimate-Blu-ray-Is-Cracked

wainuitech
18-09-2010, 08:47 PM
What a joke -- I know of several people who copy Blu-Ray discs, so called copy protection - HA!

I Was actually at a guys place today, and he was making a "backup" :rolleyes: copy of a Blu-Ray movie he rented earlier on to a blank Blu-Ray disc.

The Error Guy
18-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Security and copy protection is a fail these days. nothing is safe unless you refuse to release it.

They need to make CopyProtection more software based, now that the hardware is cracked old hardware is screwed. no chance of an update otherwise new disks won't work on old players (backup time?)

Ah well such is life!

Some games like MW2 did it well. it is pretty much sealed up now. after release it got a bit beat up with several cracks but they are all fixed.

bob_doe_nz
18-09-2010, 09:11 PM
What a joke -- I know of several people who copy Blu-Ray discs, so called copy protection - HA!

I Was actually at a guys place today, and he was making a "backup" :rolleyes: copy of a Blu-Ray movie he rented earlier on to a blank Blu-Ray disc.

Some of the older keys were leaked to the web. Caused a fiasco on a content aggregation site. (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/technology/03code.html?_r=1)

ubergeek85
18-09-2010, 09:39 PM
Kind of backwards IMO. Usually optical media has been developed when a laser capable of reading the density is developed.

It went infared, red, green, blue, now we're back to red? Hmm.

plod
18-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Security and copy protection is a fail these days. nothing is safe unless you refuse to release it.

They need to make CopyProtection more software based, now that the hardware is cracked old hardware is screwed. no chance of an update otherwise new disks won't work on old players (backup time?)

Ah well such is life!

Some games like MW2 did it well. it is pretty much sealed up now. after release it got a bit beat up with several cracks but they are all fixed.
Not quite, BR players can easily be upgraded to run a new copy protection while still allowing the old one.

Erayd
19-09-2010, 12:21 AM
And on related news, the master key for Blu Ray has been discovered.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/09/17/0247246/HDCP-Master-Key-Is-Legitimate-Blu-ray-Is-CrackedMmm, that slashdot article is very poorly written - HDCP has nothing to do with bluray. HDCP is the copy protection for restricted HDMI feeds.

While most bluray players are capable of outputting an HDCP-protected stream, this has nothing to do with the bluray standard, and the biggest impact is in fact on HD cable & satellite feeds.

For those interested, the bluray copy protection scheme is AACS.

:pf1mobmini:

bob_doe_nz
19-09-2010, 12:39 AM
Must you take the fun out of everything?

The Error Guy
19-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Not quite, BR players can easily be upgraded to run a new copy protection while still allowing the old one.

Yes BUT if they can still play the old and the new then is extremely easy to extract the new key from the descriptors or software could be used to trick the players firmware into believing it was an old disk therefore allowing the disk to be ripped.

If I did it would give each disk a nice bit of firmware that copied to the Bluray player internal mem to check security (using a similar method to 360 disks so its hard to tamper with) once the disc is verified as signed then the drive "unlocks and allows the disk to be played

SoniKalien
19-09-2010, 01:47 PM
(using a similar method to 360 disks so its hard to tamper with)

Err.. custom firmware solved that problem quite easily...

Agent_24
19-09-2010, 03:15 PM
I am forced to "illegally" copy purchased DVDs just so I can watch them on my TV without them looking like **** due to the Macrovision crap which interferes with the signal.

Once again, Legit users get burned, and pirates don't care!

fred_fish
19-09-2010, 03:33 PM
Approved Content (http://xkcd.com/129/)

xyz823
19-09-2010, 04:40 PM

Won't post a link here but google alterIWnet.

Nothing is exempt from piracy.

The Error Guy
19-09-2010, 04:45 PM
In some cases illegal rips i have seen are better than the origional DVD's. Legit does fail in most places

ubergeek85
19-09-2010, 09:35 PM
As Erayd pointed out, quite a few people seem to be confusing HDCP (which had it's master key leaked recently) with AACS.

HDCP is the encryption used on HDMI cables, and, with the leaked key, is now similar to the analouge hole (all the encryption is side-stepped because the output is now, essentially, open).

AACS is the encryption scheme (one component of the whole protection scheme) is used on Blu-ray. Think of it like CSS on DVD's. (In theory) even if the master key was leaked, so long as publishers implemented other custom security features (one option on Blu-ray is a whole Java virtual machine), all you would get is the unencrypted data stream, which might still be garbage data if it doesn't go through the VM, etc.

Yeah...

Strommer
19-09-2010, 09:45 PM
....so I can watch them on my TV without them looking like **** due to the Macrovision crap which interferes with the signal....

Interesting.

Do you mean regular DVD's or Blu Ray?
What size and type screen do you have?
I am curious what the difference you see with Macrovision interfering with the signal.

davidmmac
19-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Once again, Legit users get burned, and pirates don't care!

Can't agree more, steam is a perfect example :badpc:

Agent_24
20-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Interesting.

Do you mean regular DVD's or Blu Ray?
What size and type screen do you have?
I am curious what the difference you see with Macrovision interfering with the signal.

Regular DVDs, Don't have a Blu-Ray player of any kind.

My TV does not have even a composite video input, so anything I wish to connect I must route through a VCR first. This is not a problem with most things at all.

However, Macrovision is designed to screw with the VCRs processing circuits so if you try to pirate a DVD by copying it to a tape, It will look like rubbish.
(Who would want to do that anyway, when you can burn a perfect copy with a computer?)

The result is that if I wish to watch a DVD that has Macrovision without it looking horrible, I must rip and re-burn the DVD 'illegally' all because of their copy protection.

So their copy protection forces me to make a copy, how ironic.

However if I was to download a DVDRip and play it through my PC connected to the TV I would have no problem at all.

Which is why the pirates laugh and the legitimate users get pissed off, the whole thing is a joke, DVD Decrypter proves that the copy protection is completely breakable, and why I think all forms of copy protection should be smartly defenestrated.

I cannot imagine the millions of dollars these companies spend developing these things, to have them cracked by some pirates who would have spent a lot less money.