PDA

View Full Version : need advise please

Leslie
18-09-2010, 03:43 PM
I have just brought a laptop so I can use it in any room of my house, my existing pc is connected up to a wired ADSL modem router, now my question is what do I need to buy for the laptop to be able to use it else were in my house with my existing internet connection.
The laptop is a toshiba tecra, it has a Wi-Fi light in the front with a Wireless antenna on and off switch.

I hope I have explained this right.
thanks for any help.

Speedy Gonzales
18-09-2010, 03:52 PM
Is the ADSL modem a wireless modem / router?? If it is, all you have to do, is enable wireless on it. Select WPA or WPA2 (depending on what the laptop wireless supports), put the same key into both. And bob's your uncle

You dont need anything else for the laptop (if you want to use it wirelessly), since its got Wi-fi on it. Or do you want to connect an Ethernet cable to it?

Burnzee
18-09-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi Leslie

All you need is a wireless modem such as THIS (http://www.dse.co.nz/dse.shop/4c943762030863f42740c0a87f3b0675/Product/View/XH0646).

Suggesting this as an example but any should do the job. Most have four plugs at the rear to connect wired connections but send out a wireless signal also.

When you have one, write back and I/we can help you set your lappie up to recieve the signal.

BURNZEE

Leslie
18-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Thanks very much for the quick replies.
My current modem does have wires, it just connects up to the back of my PC for internet use, so sounds like i have to ditch my current wired modem for a wireless one, I will go and buy a wireless modem on Monday and then get back to you guys for instructions.

thanks a lot guys, your the best.
really appreciate your help.

gary67
18-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Or you could get a wireless access point which would plug into your existing modem and may be cheaper