PDA

View Full Version : TIVO special price for telecom customers

robbyp
17-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Currently they are selling for $360, originally priced at $988 last year. Anyone got one? For that sort of price, they seem really good value, considering what it does.

paulw
17-09-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm going to have a look for one tomorrow. $360 is a good price..

johcar
17-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Now cheaper than just about any equivalent Freeview box!!! Does a lot more than most Freeview boxes too, and super easy to use.

At that price, to NOT buy one, you'd either already own one (and be cursing the fact that you were an early adopter) or be a Sky customer...

The Error Guy
17-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Hate, for one reason. its the biggest ugliest box I have ever seen.

it looks better in a nice(er) custom box I built in the school workshop.

other than that the actual performance is ok

Snorkbox
17-09-2010, 08:32 PM
So all those that dumped Telecom for various reasons are going to come back now?

Cicero
17-09-2010, 08:36 PM
Now cheaper than just about any equivalent Freeview box!!! Does a lot more than most Freeview boxes too, and super easy to use.

At that price, to NOT buy one, you'd either already own one (and be cursing the fact that you were an early adopter) or be a Sky customer...

Just the small matter of not being a xtra customer in my case.

R2x1
17-09-2010, 09:45 PM
There is nothing remotely sensible about being on the Telecom hook.

robbyp
17-09-2010, 10:38 PM
There is nothing remotely sensible about being on the Telecom hook.

There is no contract. It's a straight $360, no hooks and you can use any ISP. You just have to be a telecom landline cusomter to buy one. There is no other PVR that compares to that price.

plod
17-09-2010, 11:10 PM
There is no contract. It's a straight $360, no hooks and you can use any ISP. You just have to be a telecom landline cusomter to buy one. There is no other PVR that compares to that price.

Seriously considering it. Would just need to sort out antenna. Also a little reluctant as their might be having a fire sale for the a new model.

robbyp
17-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Seriously considering it. Would just need to sort out antenna. Also a little reluctant as their might be having a fire sale for the a new model.

It does upgrade itself via software to keep itself up to date, so they will continue to support it. Even if it is a firesale for a new model, it compares very well with other brands but much cheaper. I however believe they are selling them is becuase telecoms exclusive contract for selling them is near an end. I am getting one tomorrow.

The Error Guy
18-09-2010, 12:06 AM
I bought it to play around with the firmware. i'm trying to code open source firmware to authenticate and communicate with TIVO's servers. so far it hasn't got very far!

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2010, 12:50 AM
I'm with Robbyp,

While I'm *pissed* that us early adopters paid $999 for them, I'm still stoaked with it, even at that higher price it's worth every dollar. Honestly, it's hard to know what we were missing out on without it. The Freeview TV Ads & TiVo ads just really don't do it justice.

At that price, I'm quite tempted to get a second, just for when we get another TV ..! :D

plod
18-09-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm with Robbyp,

While I'm *pissed* that us early adopters paid $999 for them, I'm still stoaked with it, even at that higher price it's worth every dollar. Honestly, it's hard to know what we were missing out on without it. The Freeview TV Ads & TiVo ads just really don't do it justice.

At that price, I'm quite tempted to get a second, just for when we get another TV ..! :D
well if you get a second its going to take the burn out of the first one.

Chilling_Silence
18-09-2010, 09:05 AM
If only I can convince my wife to see it that way ;)

Cicero
18-09-2010, 09:09 AM
If only I can convince my wife to see it that way ;)

Ain't marriage great!

plod
19-09-2010, 01:45 PM
So is the special over? I look on the telecom site and it says $499 and on the tivo site $799.

johcar
19-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Still $499, or $360 if you're a Telecom landline account holder

Cicero
19-09-2010, 02:22 PM
I wonder how many $360 will attract back,some I am sure.

plod
19-09-2010, 02:26 PM
Still $499, or $360 if you're a Telecom landline account holder
I am a customer, just thought it would have been advertised

robbyp
19-09-2010, 04:54 PM
So is the special over? I look on the telecom site and it says $499 and on the tivo site $799.

It's $360, but you are best to buy in a store, as it isn't advertised anywhere at that price. You also have to be a telecom customer, but not a telecom broadband cusomter. Even in store, you have to ask them. Not sure why it isn't advertised. I got mine yesterday. Great device. Just a pity you have to pay an extra $130 if you want the home networking package, so you can copy the programs to your PC. Hopefully they will make that free in the future. It doesn't mention that it is an additional fee in the tivo support pages which is a bit misleading. You are paying $130 for just a Media unlocking code, which sucks.

The other thing that sucks is there is no EPG for maori and prime, but I guess all these things will be fixed overtime.

Scouse
19-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Briefly... what does it do that the freeview box does not do? In non-tech terms please.....

plod
19-09-2010, 07:29 PM
It's $360, but you are best to buy in a store, as it isn't advertised anywhere at that price. You also have to be a telecom customer, but not a telecom broadband cusomter. Even in store, you have to ask them. Not sure why it isn't advertised. I got mine yesterday. Great device. Just a pity you have to pay an extra $130 if you want the home networking package, so you can copy the programs to your PC. Hopefully they will make that free in the future. It doesn't mention that it is an additional fee in the tivo support pages which is a bit misleading. You are paying $130 for just a Media unlocking code, which sucks.

The other thing that sucks is there is no EPG for maori and prime, but I guess all these things will be fixed overtime.
The priced changed on the website when I put my account number to the $360 price so all good there. It says on the telecom website that the HNP isn't available? What exactly does it do? Need to sort these things out before I make the leap.
Message For CHILL, how is the mac compatibility like? Does the HNP work with the mac?

Chilling_Silence
19-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Yeah it works fine on OSX, only tested on Snow Leopard, but no issues :)

Only copied video off the TiVo to the Mac, but yeah, it's not really rocket science, it all "just works"!

plod
19-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Yeah it works fine on OSX, only tested on Snow Leopard, but no issues :)

Only copied video off the TiVo to the Mac, but yeah, it's not really rocket science, it all "just works"!
what about mac too tivo? Did you use the HNP? or is that not needed?

paulw
20-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Bought one at the weekend. Talk about paper work to fill out. Nice box though. First thing i did was to remove the sound effects, Set the EPG to landscape and remove the "Record TiVo suggestion" feature.

I see they supply it with the wireless unit. I would rather they gave you the option of this or the LAN package. I see Networking package allows playback of H264 video but does anyone know if it will do MKV??

robbyp
20-09-2010, 03:37 PM
The priced changed on the website when I put my account number to the $360 price so all good there. It says on the telecom website that the HNP isn't available? What exactly does it do? Need to sort these things out before I make the leap.
Message For CHILL, how is the mac compatibility like? Does the HNP work with the mac?

Don't you have to pay another $130 for the HNP? Not sure if it is really worth it. From what I can see, the HNP just gives you the media access key, that 'unlocks' it to allow you to copy the video from the tivo, on to your computer. But $130 just for a key to unlock a feature that should be part of it, is a rip off.

johcar
20-09-2010, 04:07 PM
You need the HNP also to access CASPA, or watch or listen to stuff you have on your PC too... Agreed, though, $130 for something that should be part of the package is a bit of a rort.

paulw
20-09-2010, 08:47 PM
You need the HNP also to access CASPA, or watch or listen to stuff you have on your PC too... Agreed, though, $130 for something that should be part of the package is a bit of a rort.

To access Caspa all you need is an Internet connection. To watch stuff on other PCs you do need the package..

robbyp
20-09-2010, 10:37 PM

I am able to access CASPA without the HNP. The only thing I can see the $130 is for is to 'unlock' the Tivo with a media access key. On the box it says HNP also covers the software, but you can download the software free, but it needs the Media Key off teh Tivo to use it. The Tivo support pages say that after activating the tivo, they will send the media access key within 48 hours, but it appears their instructions are wrong, as it appears they infact don't send you a media access key unless you also pay an additional $130. There is however no mention of this on the support pages.

gary67
21-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Briefly... what does it do that the freeview box does not do? In non-tech terms please.....

No one answered this question, so obviously is is of some devious use and is a ruse by Telecod to gain more market share of the contents of your wallet while offering something only slightly different from your average mysky or myfreeview.

I wait to be corrected :devil

Lawrence
21-09-2010, 10:14 AM
From what I have found out it basically a crippled Freeview box that lets you record but you can't introduce any other content to run through it ,ie-AVI/MK4/ISO's

Think there are better options out there for the money

sam m
21-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I can watch avi/mkv files that have been transferred from computer to tivo. Haven't tried any other formats.

We bought it because SKY don't have captioned programmes. Even recorded programmes playback with captions.

Scouse
21-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Thank you Gary67. The bump appreciated as I had given up.

johcar
21-09-2010, 10:55 AM
From what I have found out it basically a crippled Freeview box that lets you record but you can't introduce any other content to run through it ,ie-AVI/MK4/ISO's

Think there are better options out there for the money

This viewpoint would not be the viewpoint of the majority of people looking for a digital decoder that had the facility to record multiple channels automatically with a user friendly interface...

For the money ($360) you would be extremely hard-pressed to get anything along the same lines that was as easy to use as a TiVo box.

If you're a geek with special requirements then TiVo is not for you.

Strommer
21-09-2010, 12:39 PM

I'm still wondering what it is all about.

We have a DVD recorder and we have a satellite dish ready to put on the roof (terrestrial Freeview is not available in our area - only via satellite).

So is there any advantage for me to get it? Is the only advantage the ability to record two programs at once?

Safari
21-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Considering you can basically only get channels 1 2 3 and prime that are of any use I can't see the time when you would ever need to record 2 programs at once.

Scouse
21-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi Strommer.
I'm much in your position, except that the dish was left on the roof by the previous house owner and I connected a freeview box to it. Seems to do good, receives 1, 2, 3 4 and Prime, Maori, Stratos, CUE, Te Reo, Parliament, Austalian SBS1 and 2, TV3 Plus1, Kordia and Tvnz Spors extra. All with perfect pictures. I too have a DVD recorder. So, apart from recording extra stuff or playing back while recording, what woiuld I get for my dollar?

paulw
21-09-2010, 01:44 PM
I can watch avi/mkv files that have been transferred from computer to tivo. Haven't tried any other formats.

We bought it because SKY don't have captioned programmes. Even recorded programmes playback with captions.

So MKVs work fine then?? If that's the case I'll buy the Home network package as my A100 Popcornhour is starting to show it's age a bit recently..

paulw
21-09-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm still wondering what it is all about.

We have a DVD recorder and we have a satellite dish ready to put on the roof (terrestrial Freeview is not available in our area - only via satellite).

So is there any advantage for me to get it? Is the only advantage the ability to record two programs at once?

A unified box. Only one device to setup. I was using a setup like yours. A DVD recorder a a TV DTT box and when i wanted to record something I had to set up the record timers on both units and couldn't watch anything else while this was happening.. For $360 it's a bargain compared to other DVRs on the market here..

sam m
21-09-2010, 03:33 PM
So MKVs work fine then?? If that's the case I'll buy the Home network package as my A100 Popcornhour is starting to show it's age a bit recently..
I had transferred one file - worked fine. I told a friend who tried it (different file) and it didn't work. I don't really understand mkv's but I think they are like avi's - containers that can hold different file formats?

Chilling_Silence
21-09-2010, 03:58 PM
MKV is a container format that can hold multiple different streams, such as a video stream, a couple of audio streams (different languages) and subtitles.

We use a WDTV Live instead of copying data and converting it for the TiVo. Much easier.

In terms of the recording / pausing / rewinding / multiple channels, you really *can't* beat it. It totally puts my old Vantage system to shame!

robbyp
21-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi Strommer.
I'm much in your position, except that the dish was left on the roof by the previous house owner and I connected a freeview box to it. Seems to do good, receives 1, 2, 3 4 and Prime, Maori, Stratos, CUE, Te Reo, Parliament, Austalian SBS1 and 2, TV3 Plus1, Kordia and Tvnz Spors extra. All with perfect pictures. I too have a DVD recorder. So, apart from recording extra stuff or playing back while recording, what woiuld I get for my dollar?

Firstly it doesn't work with the satellite version of freeview, which isn't in HD. It will only work with Freeview HD over UHF. If you can't get freeview HD, then it ain't for you.

A tivo isn't a DVD recorder, so you don't have to buy disks to record. Instead it uses an internal harddrive. It has two freeview tuners built in, which allows you to pause live TV, record two channels at the same time, and it is all stored on the internal harddrive. ALso you don't need to program it by 'time' you just select the program on teh EPG, and press record, and you can also get a season pass, which will record all future programs too. The EPG is also a lot better and faster than the freeview one, as it downloads it over teh net. The only disadvatage is there is no prime or maori EPG listings yet, but eventually they will fix this I am sure. I have been quite impressed with it, and it is definately worth $360, considering a freeview HD box without a HD recorder is $300.
If you do want to copy the TV to a PC to store it, you would probably need to pay an extra $130 to get the key that unlocks this feature, so you can copy the programs to your PC.

gary67
21-09-2010, 09:06 PM
So basically living in Nelson/Tasman as I do and Scouse where there is no terrestrial HD freeview we can't have Tivo as we have to get freeview from a dish. I bought a cheap freeview box with a USB post and have a HDD plugged into it which I can record to

robbyp
21-09-2010, 11:33 PM
So basically living in Nelson/Tasman as I do and Scouse where there is no terrestrial HD freeview we can't have Tivo as we have to get freeview from a dish. I bought a cheap freeview box with a USB post and have a HDD plugged into it which I can record to

NOt until the government get there A into G, and extend the UHF coverage, which they do intend to do. The UHF broadcast is far better quality, as you don't have the compression problem that you get with fast moving images on satellite freeview.

gary67
22-09-2010, 07:46 AM
They say it won't happen here for a while as there are just too many mountains around

Strommer
23-09-2010, 09:32 AM
A tivo isn't a DVD recorder, so you don't have to buy disks to record.

Sorry, I meant "HD recorder".

Thanks :thumbs: for the good explanation robbyp. I do wish our area had UHF / terrestrial Freeview, but since we don't at least I don't have to fret about missing the cheap Tivo deal. :rolleyes:

Andrew B
25-09-2010, 11:32 PM
After reading about the Tivo on here I ordered one a couple of days ago, it arrived yesterday. Its a cool machine, still learning how to use all its features. I especially like the way I can remotely make it it record a programme when I am not at home. Great if I forget to set it to record before I leave home, then remember later.

Andrew