PDA

View Full Version : Taking a PC to the USA

09-09-2001, 11:46 PM
HI
If I was moving to the USA and wanted to take my desktop PC what sort of problems could I have with power supply etc?? I know that they have a different voltage system , not 240 like us. So what changes would I have to make to the PC?? Would there be any other problems?? Would it be worth the hasle?
Thanking you in advance

10-09-2001, 12:06 AM
If your lucky your power supply will either have a switch on the back, or do it automatically.
If it doesn't have a switch, you could have a look on the supply itself to see if it automatically switches.

Failing that, a new powersupply will cost ~NZ$80 for a 250W.
They are standard (as long as it isn't a horriable custom OEM one) so you will be able to get one in the US.

Everything else you have that connects to the mains may be a problem, a 240 - 110v converter may be a possibility.

I think your modem will be fine, except for a new cable.
I remember a few years ago that all modems came with US style plugs, so I assume the US system is the same voltage etc as the NZ system.

10-09-2001, 08:22 AM
Hi Megan, A friend recently moved here from usa & bought his Pc with him & he had no probs converting from 110v to 240v (just changed the little red switch on power supply).
Most modern monitors will run on 110v & 240v,to check your monitor have a look at the bac $ it should say something like 'Rating AC 100-240v'
Only thing you may have problems with as bm suggested would be those little power packs used for external modems , speakers, printers & speakers.
EG: my hp deskjet 810c will run on 110v or 240v according to the power pack but my scanner power pack is 240v only.
cheers steve