PDA

View Full Version : 2013 tipped as year for analogue TV to end

Trev
16-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Here. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10673761)
:)

Gobe1
16-09-2010, 09:11 AM
Yes and i see Freeview now has plans to upgrade the areas like New Plymouth to digital :yay

seltsam
16-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Erk! With 6 old TVs scattered around the place at last count, decoders will have to get real cheap :badpc:

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2010, 04:32 PM
I'll just use this usb tuner. Hopefully it doesn't die :p

They were talking about it on the parliament channel

ubergeek85
16-09-2010, 04:38 PM
NZ$18.35 cheap enough for ya? http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8309

Chilling_Silence
16-09-2010, 04:44 PM
Only if you're willing to donate 6 PC's to go with those tuners to power the TVs ;)

Gobe1
16-09-2010, 04:52 PM
the digital decoders, do they have AV out? or only HDMI??

Safari
16-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Erk! With 6 old TVs scattered around the place at last count, decoders will have to get real cheap :badpc:

Just feed the RF output from one decoder to all the other old TVs

Metla
16-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Just throw all 6 of the piles of crap down the dump, whip off to the shops, Buy something that doesn't suck.

Like....a 50" HD plasma with freeview built in, An amp, some speakers with the fatness and a console.

SORTED.

stu161204
16-09-2010, 06:17 PM

Or get one decoder and feed it to a splitter. (That is if all 6 TV's are using one antenna).

Trev
16-09-2010, 07:47 PM
the digital decoders, do they have AV out? or only HDMI??
My Zinwell 640 dose.

seltsam
16-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Or get one decoder and feed it to a splitter. (That is if all 6 TV's are using one antenna).

Good idea! 3 TVs are on a distributed single antenna (2 are still good CRT sets - 34" Sony hooked into the stereo and a 29" Mitsy). The others are small jobs with rabbit ears, their days are numbered. Running Freeview on the computer too, from a sky dish.

Edit: If the STB feeds the antenna network, does that control the channel selection?

kenj
16-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Edit: If the STB feeds the antenna network, does that control the channel selection?

Yes

Ken

Trev
16-09-2010, 10:43 PM
It has been confirmed that they are going ahead with it. Dates below from the Herald.

New Zealand's analogue television service will be switched off progressively nationwide between September 2012 and late 2013, the Government announced today.

Broadcasting Minister Jonathan Coleman said the switch to digital, initially intended to completed by 2015, would provide enhanced reception, better picture quality and more channels than what is available on analogue.

"There will be a substantial wider economic benefit generated by the use of freed up spectrum for new technology," he said.

"Achieving DSO (digital switch over) earlier brings forward the total economic benefits which are estimated to be in the range of $1.1 billion to $2.4 billion over 20 years."

Coleman said 70 per cent of New Zealand households were already watching digital TV, but the switch would be done progressively, starting in Hawke's Bay and the West Coast in September 2012, followed by the rest of the South Island in April 2013, the lower North Island, Gisborne and Taranaki in September and the rest of the North Island in November 2013.

Communications and IT Minister Stephen Joyce said digital television technology made more efficient use of radio spectrum than analogue technology, and freed up a large amount of spectrum in the 700 MHz band for new uses.

"We expect this spectrum will be ideal for 4G mobile technologies, which will give New Zealanders access to faster mobile broadband services and with improved coverage."

Households that have Freeview, Sky or TelstraClear are already set for digital switchover.

Other viewers don't need to buy a new television to make the switch, but may need to buy a set-top box and possibly a new aerial or satellite dish depending on their current equipment or location.

Most new TVs have in-built tuners which will receive Freeview signals throughout most of the country, but a set top box would be required for older sets without an in-built digital tuner.

The ministers said a campaign would be launched later this year to provide additional information and support.

stu161204
16-09-2010, 11:07 PM

Yes

Can someone explain that to me, please? :confused:

Does that mean like if you had a sky decoder and you wanted to watch one channel every other TV in the house would have to watch that channel ?

:waughh: :stare:

seltsam
16-09-2010, 11:20 PM
That's my sneaking suspicion, but not having an STB, I just dunno :confused:

Snorkbox
16-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Isn't it nice that the all wise, all knowing Government can decide to make my working TV set obsolete whether I like that or not and with no compensation for same.

I will be making a note of same and hand this on to my descendants so they can raise grievances about 160 years in the future.

Safari
17-09-2010, 06:39 AM

Does that mean like if you had a sky decoder and you wanted to watch one channel every other TV in the house would have to watch that channel ?

That is correct as the RF feed for the other TVs comes from the decoder.
I have this setup for sky where I feed other TVs the sky signal but they can only receive the channel that is selected on the decoder.

Paul.Cov
17-09-2010, 08:18 AM
And this is where it gets very messy - unattended (timer) recording of channels.

Unless your recorder has a way to communicate with the decoder to tell it the channel to provide, you may find you record static.

The challenge becomes remembering to power up the decoder and to set the correct channel on the decoder so that the video recorder / PVR will then get a signal it can record.

Fine if you're only recording one item. Tears if there's programs from 2 different channels you want to record during your absence... so it's not just a nuisance with old TVs, it's also a problem for the variety of recorders that lack a digital decoder.

Whatever the outcome, get prepared to blow money in multiples of $100, with the best (convenient) outcome requiring multiples of $1000 unfortunately.

Nomad
17-09-2010, 09:23 AM
That is correct as the RF feed for the other TVs comes from the decoder.
I have this setup for sky where I feed other TVs the sky signal but they can only receive the channel that is selected on the decoder.

You could opt for multiple decoders so you can have diff channels for each TV, but you pay more to your monthly rental.

Nomad
17-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Good idea! 3 TVs are on a distributed single antenna (2 are still good CRT sets - 34" Sony hooked into the stereo and a 29" Mitsy). The others are small jobs with rabbit ears, their days are numbered. Running Freeview on the computer too, from a sky dish.

We have a Sky dish, currently subscribed to Sky Television. Is it possible to just buy a Freeview decoder and swap over the cable in and I get all the Freeview channels :confused:

Gobe1
17-09-2010, 09:30 AM
At present yes. Once they switch it will all probably be terrestrial based so you will need a UHF?? aerial

EDIT: So will all non digital freeview receivers be obsolete after this??

Cicero
17-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Isn't it nice that the all wise, all knowing Government can decide to make my working TV set obsolete whether I like that or not and with no compensation for same.

I will be making a note of same and hand this on to my descendants so they can raise grievances about 160 years in the future.

A bit of afternoon viewing for you Snort............

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=history+of+the+luddites&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enNZ395NZ395&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=y4mSTIv6O8mXceK-0L8G&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=7&ved=0CDsQqwQwBg

wratterus
17-09-2010, 10:39 AM
We have a Sky dish, currently subscribed to Sky Television. Is it possible to just buy a Freeview decoder and swap over the cable in and I get all the Freeview channels :confused:

Yes - it is. Sky and freeview both use Optus D1 so the dish alignment is correct. You may need to frig around with the LNB setting on the freeview decoder if your dish has a dual LNB - a lot of the sky installed ones do.

At present yes. Once they switch it will all probably be terrestrial based so you will need a UHF?? aerial

EDIT: So will all non digital freeview receivers be obsolete after this??

They aren't turning off the satellite freeview at all - just the analouge network.

All DVB-S and DVB-T freeview STBs will work just fine after the switch off. And they had better bring DVB-T to nelson... :badpc: :p

Gobe1
17-09-2010, 10:40 AM
But why continue with an outdated transmission that costs them money?

I hear you Wratt, sounds like they are bringing it to Taranaki (hopefully)- good luck

Trev
17-09-2010, 11:13 AM
The government are talking about making millions when they switch off the analogue frequencies and sell them to the telcos for there cell phone networks.

Billy T
17-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Once they switch it will all probably be terrestrial based so you will need a UHF?? aerial.

Freeview is available by satellite nation-wide. Terrestrial will only available in the main centres, which covers about 75% of the population.

We often have four different TVs running here, all on different channels, so a single Freeview decoder would not do us at all. Fortunately, by the time they shut down analog in 2012 there will only be Mrs T and myself here, or perhaps one of the junior T's may be left as well.

I'm planning on having two decoders, which I can hide from Mrs T by the simple expedient of having one built into a new TV, probably for the bedroom as that set will be nearly 30 years old by the time analogue dies.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

prefect
17-09-2010, 11:28 AM
The combined Auckland NATO UHF/VHF aerial on my roof works mint for freeview.
Got a small sat dish and an el cheapo sat set top box for watching VOA.
Best place for those bulky and heavy CRTs is the landfill site.
There are always going to be some sad reactionaries or Luddites

paulw
17-09-2010, 11:40 AM

Only Maoris will get compensation. :devil

paulw
17-09-2010, 11:44 AM
The combined Auckland NATO UHF/VHF aerial on my roof works mint for freeview.
Got a small sat dish and an el cheapo sat set top box for watching VOA.
Best place for those bulky and heavy CRTs is the landfill site.
There are always going to be some sad reactionaries or Luddites

What SAT is VOA on. I hooked up one in our bedroom as analog was useless . I can scan all the sats but I only get stuff on D1 and D2 (SBS from Oz). Lets hope the Luddites don't start and make this a political issue..

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2010, 11:55 AM
Freeview is available by satellite nation-wide. Terrestrial will only available in the main centres, which covers about 75% of the population.

We often have four different TVs running here, all on different channels, so a single Freeview decoder would not do us at all. Fortunately, by the time they shut down analog in 2012 there will only be Mrs T and myself here, or perhaps one of the junior T's may be left as well.

I'm planning on having two decoders, which I can hide from Mrs T by the simple expedient of having one built into a new TV, probably for the bedroom as that set will be nearly 30 years old by the time analogue dies.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

TiVo is on sale at the moment, bloody good price for a darn fine product! Very tempting to get one and another TV for me and the Mrs bedroom :D

Cicero
17-09-2010, 12:22 PM
The government are talking about making millions when they switch off the analogue frequencies and sell them to the telcos for there cell phone networks.

Thats good,less needed from us in that case.

Terry Porritt
17-09-2010, 12:45 PM
I wonder if all the existing "translator" sites relaying TV1, TV2 etc will be scrapped, or whether they will be converted to digital Freeview?

Snorkbox
17-09-2010, 12:54 PM
I think they will just hand out the frequencies, now unused, to other interested parties as part of settlements etc.

prefect
17-09-2010, 01:14 PM
What SAT is VOA on. I hooked up one in our bedroom as analog was useless . I can scan all the sats but I only get stuff on D1 and D2 (SBS from Oz). Lets hope the Luddites don't start and make this a political issue..

On Stratos 6.30 to 7.30 its channel 8 on my box made by a famous commie chinese manufacturer called Yess.
Monday bums me out I hate Mondays because there is no VOA as its Sunday in USA.

paulw
17-09-2010, 02:00 PM
On Stratos 6.30 to 7.30 its channel 8 on my box made by a famous commie chinese manufacturer called Yess.
Monday bums me out I hate Mondays because there is no VOA as its Sunday in USA.

Thanx. Thought you had scanned a sat and found it as I had a look at the sat list and VOA was not on any of them..

Cicero
17-09-2010, 02:25 PM
I wonder if all the existing "translator" sites relaying TV1, TV2 etc will be scrapped, or whether they will be converted to digital Freeview?

Why would they remove translators?

Peter H
17-09-2010, 02:42 PM
Because they use the same frequencies as the normal TV analogue - they want to sell these.

Cicero
17-09-2010, 03:19 PM
Because they use the same frequencies as the normal TV analogue - they want to sell these.

That was my point,a strange question for a scientist.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2010, 03:47 PM
I think they will just hand out the frequencies, now unused, to other interested parties as part of settlements etc.

You mean like to the Maoris along with "their land"? :thumbs:

Terry Porritt
17-09-2010, 05:02 PM
That was my point,a strange question for a scientist.
Not a strange question at all, but then you are not a scientist :)

The telcos are extremely unlikely to use the same equipment at existing translators, after all they wont be transmitting TV programs, though they may well have plans to use the same sites for some very localised service of some sort.

Many translators, like the one just up the hill behind us, about 100 metres or less in a direct line, are low power and serve only very small areas.

Terrestial Freeview would not be obtainable in our area being in a valley. Looking at the existing coverage map, shows many areas (for eg. around Upper Hutt) where there would be no terrestial Freeview reception if the existing translators were not converted to digital.

Snorkbox
17-09-2010, 07:27 PM
A bit of afternoon viewing for you Snort............

http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=history+of+the+luddites&hl=en&rlz=1T4GGLL_enNZ395NZ395&prmd=v&source=univ&tbs=vid:1&tbo=u&ei=y4mSTIv6O8mXceK-0L8G&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&ct=title&resnum=7&ved=0CDsQqwQwBg

Definition of a Luddite for your edification:-

In modern usage, "Luddite" is a term describing those opposed to industrialisation (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/wiki/Industrialisation), automation (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/wiki/Automation), computerisation (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/wiki/Computerisation) or new technologies (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/wiki/Technology) in general.[1] (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/#cite_note-0)

I may add that quite a few Luddites went off to populate Australia and New Zealand as they were transported. They were followed by whinging Poms, Union leaders, People who paid 10 quid for a ticket as in assisted immigrants etc. There also may be assorted Romans who got here too.

I hope you were not accusing me of being a Luddite because if so you are patently wrong. Just today I have used my car as opossed to a horse, used a phone instead of morse code, used an ATM and Internet banking, and last but least used a computer to compose this message.

victorcharlie
17-09-2010, 07:46 PM
We currently get Freeview with indoor tv aerial [rabbit's ears] , Is this not digital [seem like it as 'teletext' pages load quick compared to the TV with no Freeview]?

If not are there indoor satellite aerials? [As wiring a house could/will be costly , especially with walls up].

Cicero
17-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Definition of a Luddite for your edification:-

In modern usage, "Luddite" is a term describing those opposed to industrialisation (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/wiki/Industrialisation), automation (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/wiki/Automation), computerisation (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/wiki/Computerisation) or new technologies (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/wiki/Technology) in general.[1] (http://www.pressf1.co.nz/#cite_note-0)

I may add that quite a few Luddites went off to populate Australia and New Zealand as they were transported. They were followed by whinging Poms, Union leaders, People who paid 10 quid for a ticket as in assisted immigrants etc. There also may be assorted Romans who got here too.

I hope you were not accusing me of being a Luddite because if so you are patently wrong. Just today I have used my car as opposed to a horse, used a phone instead of morse code, used an ATM and Internet banking, and last but least used a computer to compose this message.

My point was and I know it might be a tricky,was,you are decrying that we are moving from analogue to digital,that is Ludditic..

pine-o-cleen
17-09-2010, 08:59 PM

Yes.

If you want to watch more than one channel at a time, you need more than one Sky (or freeview) box.