PDA

View Full Version : Network Win 7 and Win ME

berryb
15-09-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm just so lucky :eek: I got a job to network Win 7 to Win ME.

There is no router involved.

I have them seeing each others shares but when I try to open the share I get authentication issues. Can ping by IP but not Host name as no DNS server available.

When trying to connect to Win 7, Win ME only gives the option of entering a password, not username password what Win 7 wants. And vice versa when connecting to Win ME from 7 I need username and password when Win ME only wanting a password.

I have MS Network Login enabled on Win ME.

I haven't really had time to Google yet but think it may have someting to do with NTLM.

I just love these types of jobs :)

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Turn password protected sharing off in win7. Turn discovery and file sharing on. Disable homegroup. Since ME doesnt support it. HOW are the 2 connected?? With a xover?

berryb
15-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Should have said I've done all that.

Connected via switch.

gary67
16-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Yep it can be a pain, I still have one out of my four XP machines that cannot connect to this desktop without the password yet the other 3 can and so can the other Win 7 machine, it's just that one machine that won't

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Sounds strange. Havent had a prob here. Connecting Win7 with Vista or XP. If you've changed the Windows Wired Autoconfig service to auto in services, remember to untick the options under the authentication tab under the LAN properties in XP. This will stop you from sharing XP (It'll ask for a password), if they're ticked

Are these XP machines Pro Or Home Gary?

SolMiester
16-09-2010, 12:57 PM
Update the hosts file so you can authenticate using hostname instead of IP address....

gary67
17-09-2010, 06:45 AM
They are all XP home except one and it is one of the home ones that is the problem child actually it's the one next to my 7 PC the one SWMBO uses

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2010, 07:13 AM
Which computer is the main one? Win7 or one of the XP Home computers?