PDA

View Full Version : Question for IT staff

pctek
15-09-2010, 06:59 PM
Especially you guys that work for large IT companies or companies with large IT departments more so than Wainuitech and smaller guys...

Scenario:

Laptops - dead screen, or dead hard drive or dead power adapter.

Would you buy the Brand parts or generic? If so, for which part? Is cost the main factor in the decision or the part itself?

Deimos
15-09-2010, 07:16 PM
I would probably get the "brand name" power adapter, but as for everything else, its all made in the same place anyway, so where ever is cheapest, there is no such thing as a "generic brand" hard drive BTW, theres only like 4 different HDD manufacturers (Seagate, WD, Samsung and Hitachi AFAIK)

chiefnz
15-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Especially you guys that work for large IT companies or companies with large IT departments more so than Wainuitech and smaller guys...

Scenario:

Would you buy the Brand parts or generic? If so, for which part? Is cost the main factor in the decision or the part itself?

We buy extended Carepack warranties for all our laptops. This covers genuine replacement parts for 3 years.

If a laptop is out of warranty we wouldn't bother replacing something like a screen... its not good use of our time... we have a 3 year replacement policy as well so once the unit is 3 years or older and is not performing well we will upgrade it.

We use genuine parts for all our laptops, especially power supplies.

Cheers,

SP8's
15-09-2010, 07:47 PM
Feeling very sorry that Wainuitech is no longer wanted :crying

southern_jas
15-09-2010, 07:52 PM
I agree with chiefnz. We also get the extended warranties on all our laptops and get genuine parts, however if it needs an expensive part after warranty has expired it is often more efficient for us to replace the laptop

wainuitech
15-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Feeling very sorry that Wainuitech is no longer wanted :crying:D I get special treatment -- Personal phone call :p Very nice chatting to the lady as well.

nofam
15-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Standard OEM warranties on notebooks (usually Lenovo, sometimes HP) - after they're out of warranty they've usually depreciated to bugger-all, so we just replace them when they die.

psycik
15-09-2010, 09:18 PM
If you're really big then everything is on lease agreements and you don't actually own the hardware. It's replaced on a 3 year cycle. Support is done directly with the hardware manufacturer.

Nomad
15-09-2010, 09:23 PM
In all the jobs I worked in all large orgs - I have never used a cheap mouse or keyb - LOL. They were all OEM, all the laptops had OEM parts. Unless you ordered your own keyboard due to OSH by going thru a supplier's catalogue (Office Max).

somebody
15-09-2010, 10:05 PM

Scenario:

Replace free under warranty with genuine parts, otherwise the whole thing gets thrown out and replaced if the warranty has expired. We buy our hardware outright - laptops usually with 3 year warranties, desktops and monitors vary from 1-3 years. Most PCs (laptop or desktop) are replaced every 2-3 years anyway.

We contract a 3rd party IT support company to deal with all of this for us (except for servers which we source and manage ourselves).

jwil1
15-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Most of our work laptops are leased (under the MoE laptops for teachers scheme) over 3 years. During this time they are under warranty and insurance by the laptop provider. We don't pay anything if anything breaks or is stolen. Other non-MoE laptops are not under warranty (they were, but are too old now).

Desktops are normally under a 3 years warranty also.

We usually keep hardware and repurpose it after the warranty has ended (some of our oldest machines are 7-8 years old, but most are within 3 years).

We have some 500 laptops and desktops (including leased and owned machines).

Anything not under warranty is fixed using parts from Ascent :)

pctek
16-09-2010, 06:56 AM
Thanks.

Now, what about printers? Not your cheapie inkjets, lasers. You bother buying the kits for them?

somebody
16-09-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks.

Now, what about printers? Not your cheapie inkjets, lasers. You bother buying the kits for them?

Leased MFCs, where we don't pay directly for consumables or servicing, but pay per-page printed.

Nomad
16-09-2010, 07:41 AM
Thanks.

When working as a administrator, we do ordering via Office Max by going thru the brochure - they tend to standardise on OEM consumables despite the increase in price. Most use HP, some Lexmark but they are pretty expensive eh .. think $500 or more some of them. Colour lasers are common now too.

Not sure on the computer compatible color photocopiers though. Some places use them instead of say normal network computer printers.

SolMiester
16-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Thanks.

We have Xerox printer Multi function devices which cost more than a new car...they have service, parts etc all included in the p/p cost a month on top of the lease payment. Dont have to worry about any of that.

We purchase all hardware and anything over 3 yrs is our bonus ROI, the older machines get handed down to the plebs! The only thing we wont replace is motherboards out of warranty as both Lenovo and HP charge an arm and a leg for them! $450-$500!!

plod
16-09-2010, 07:16 PM
We have Xerox printer Multi function devices which cost more than a new car...they have service, parts etc all included in the p/p cost a month on top of the lease payment. Dont have to worry about any of that.

X2 on the printer comment. We run two xerox digital presses at work. Its not uncommon to see a tech in each day with a fault or quality concern.
Now if this wasn't covered under a lease agreement we would be broke. So yeah better to lease then own. We are covered for everything except paper in our lease/click rate. We just need to meet xerox targets

southern_jas
16-09-2010, 07:48 PM
We have Konica Minolta copiers;Printers under similar arrangements to plod. A pay per click lease with Paper our cost and all toners and maintenance covered at KM's cost under the terms of the lease, as long as we continue to meet the monthly click targets

nofam
16-09-2010, 07:49 PM
Leased Xerox machines - a range of MFC's, some colour, and a wide-format printer than can do A0, banners etc - maintenance & consumables are covered in the lease - we pay by click.

chiefnz
16-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks.

We have a contract with Konica Minolta, we have progressively replaced all are individual printers with larger multifunction units.

The maintenance/rental fee we pay per month covers replacement parts/consumables and anything else going wrong with the unit and on top of that we pay a cost per print/copy for BW and colour. I think we pay something crazy like NZ$0.05c for BW and NZ$2.50 for colour prints.

We have a 4 hour return to service agreement which works well for our company as we have 12+ MFC units which are utilized by 200+ users.

The Konica solution we have has reduce our printer support because they do it all for us. The machines order their own consumables based on custom settings by us and they also send our IT Help Desk notifications if there is a problem (paper jam etc) or when the machine has sent a request for consumables (which goes directly to Konica.

Our support team hardly does any printer support at all.

Cheers,

plod
16-09-2010, 08:58 PM
The maintenance/rental fee we pay per month covers replacement parts/consumables and anything else going wrong with the unit and on top of that we pay a cost per print/copy for BW and colour. I think we pay something crazy like NZ$0.05c for BW and NZ$2.50 for colour prints.

Ummm, I would be renegotiating your colour click if I was you.

nofam
16-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Ummm, I would be renegotiating your colour click if I was you.

That's for damn sure - we pay around 2c a b/w copy on our main office MFC, and about 15c for colour.

Snorkbox
16-09-2010, 10:06 PM
May be best to re negotiate through a new Sales outlet like PCTek which is possibly the point of the exercise.

plod
16-09-2010, 10:44 PM
We deal directly with fuji xerox, cuts out the middle man

pctek
17-09-2010, 06:51 AM
May be best to re negotiate through a new Sales outlet like PCTek which is possibly the point of the exercise.

Nope, my work doesn't do lease. I was asking for research for something else.

SolMiester
17-09-2010, 09:02 AM
X2 on the printer comment. We run two xerox digital presses at work. Its not uncommon to see a tech in each day with a fault or quality concern.
Now if this wasn't covered under a lease agreement we would be broke. So yeah better to lease then own. We are covered for everything except paper in our lease/click rate. We just need to meet xerox targets

Do you papercut to on-charge printing costs?

SolMiester
17-09-2010, 09:10 AM
We have a contract with Konica Minolta, we have progressively replaced all are individual printers with larger multifunction units.

We have a 4 hour return to service agreement which works well for our company as we have 12+ MFC units which are utilized by 200+ users.

Cheers,

OMG, you guys need a negotiator, we are .013 for B/W and .16 odd for colour!

plod
17-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Do you papercut to on-charge printing costs?
Can you rephrase

SolMiester
17-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Can you rephrase

We use papercut to charge back to clients.....

http://www.papercut.com/

plod
17-09-2010, 10:01 AM
We use papercut to charge back to clients.....

http://www.papercut.com/
Ah ha, no we don't. We are a print house. So everything that comes off them is a customers job.