PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Screen Pink

09-09-2001, 09:42 PM
What on earth causes the monitor to get a pink tinge to it? It snaps in & out of this mode and is most annoying, especially when working with colour images.

10-09-2001, 08:35 AM
Hi Viva,It could be the VGA cable between the monitor & PC,Try giving it a wiggle(usually near the plugs at the end) to see if that causes the problem,Some monitors have a plug at both ends of the VGA cable making it easy to change yourself.
Also dry solder joints inside the monitor can cause the same problems too,But I don't recomend going inside monitor yourself as it contains high voltage inside.
cheers steve

10-09-2001, 12:45 PM
I hit exactly the reverse problem a couple or years back; red disappeared almost entirely; and like yours, it was sporadic; full colour would return for half an hour or more, then disappear.
'Dry solder joint' was my local computer shop's immediate diagnosis, over the phone. It puzzled them though, when, after repair, the problem returned a few months on, and they had to fix it again. Dry joints are usually a factory fault and only have to be repaired once!

It could (just) be gaussing - the monitor has been put close to a strong magnetic field (eg from a power supply) But I don't think gaussing would flick on and off.

15-09-2001, 03:20 PM
Hi
My monitor turned pink a few years ago and then about 2 months ago it turned a shade of green.
I had it put in to the shop on both occassions and it had blown a tiny little chip/fuse thing. Not sure if the correct term is a colour card or not.
But the recent repair costed me $35 NZ, so I don't think it will be a major. The only difference with my previous problems and yours once mine changed colour it stayed that way until it was repaired.
Hope this info helps!

raymac
16-10-2002, 05:52 AM
Hi, Mine is similar problem, but the monitor is brand new and I have tried another monitor of the same brand: no difference hardly at all. Its a KTC 17" CRYSTAL monitor. Pink appears even after degaussing. Its is seen on bottom left screen, on a white background and on the grey of the Start bar or any grey windows bar. Shop I bought monitor from has no idea why this is so. I carefully moved the computer away from all external magnetic sources. ANY IDEAS?

-=JM=-
16-10-2002, 12:43 PM
Does your monitor have adjustments for "Moire" there should be h-moire and v-moire. Adjusting these should do the trick.

raymac
16-10-2002, 12:58 PM
No Moire adjustment that I could find. But thanks anyway. Cheers "JM"

Billy T
16-10-2002, 09:56 PM
Sorry JM, You are off target.

1) Moire is a beat-pattern effect not a colour tinting. It is caused by optical interference between the scanning lines of the CRT and the dot pitch of the shadowmask. It typically shows as shimmery curved lines on screen, slightly darker than the background and will move and vary in intensity with brightness.

2) Multi-Coloured blotches are Colour Purity errors caused by external magnetic fields causing misregistration of the electron beams onto the colour phosphors of the screen. They are cured by using the degaussing (demagnetising) function of the monitor but if severe may need manual degaussing with an external degauss wand (go to your local TV shop). Alternatively, put a decent sized plug pack on an extension lead, switch on and rub it over the screen in a circular motion for a minute or so, moving it away slowly when you are finished and unplugging when about a metre away from the screen. You will know if it's working because you will get image distortion and rainbow effects on screen while rubbing.

Purity errors are usually caused by static magnetic fields only, (speaker magnets, fridge magnets etc) but can occur if you turn your screen around and forget to degauss because the earth's magnetic field will also upset it. For freedom from that effect, if you have to move your monitor frequently, line it up east-west and degauss, then it should swing around without problems. If it is still touchy, try setting it up in the midway orientation between the two positions you use most and degauss several times.

Purity can also be upset if an appliance is turned off right alongside. Vacuum cleaners have been known to offend.

3) "Dirty" patches or "smudges" are either mild purity errors or an effect called White Uniformity Error. They are caused by minor beam misregistration errors and commonly show up on very light screens if you have the brightness/contrast set too high. This heats the shadowmask and makes it bow outwards. It should go away at lower brightness levels. This effect is particularly prevalent on very big screens (>17") and is a warranty matter if it appears at normal brightness and contrast levels.

4) Broad dark lines that shimmer or shake are caused by external alternating electromagnetic fields from other electrical appliances, power wiring in walls etc. Plugpacks (power bricks) are particularly bad and put out a very strong field for about 25-30 cm.

Pink Screens are either a slight excess of red or a slight lack of green & blue but to explain that properly we need to talk about Additive Colour Mixing

Computer monitors and TVs emit coloured light which is additively mixed by the human eye to produce the full range of colours we see on screen. Red, Green and Blue are the three primary colours, and their complementary colours are magenta (red + blue), cyan (blue + green) and yellow (green + red). Printing is subtractive, hence the use of cyan/magenta/yellow primaries in your inkjet.

So, if your screen has a dominant colour, you can work out what is going on by the colour cast. A weak primary electron gun will produce a complementary colour cast, while an over-active gun will produce a primary colour cast. A primary colour cast is almost always caused by a fault inside the monitor though it can be a video card fault in some rare circumstances.

A complementary colour cast can be any one of a plug & socket fault involving the video lead, loss of or weak primary in the monitor, or again a rare & unusual video card fault. The easiest way to eliminate the video card is to connect the monitor to another computer.

Go Here (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/erichard/main.html#) for a free monitor colour check. Yellow tinges in red or red tinges in blue indicate purity errors.

Coloured fringing (primary or complementary) on bright objects is an indication of a tired electron gun. This is usually the red gun because that one works hardest. From memory a white screen is about 60% red, 30% green and 10% blue. Time for a new monitor.

One last tip: To set up brightness and contrast correctly, dim the lights and turn both to zero. Then advance the brightness until the screen is faintly lit. Now set the contrast to suit. That should be it, but a minor tweak of the brightness may be needed. Brightness is not actually brightness at all, it is really black level. If you find you need both up full for reasonable viewing then it is time to think about a new monitor.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

-=JM=-
16-10-2002, 10:40 PM
I knew moire was more related to the lines you mention. But I find that it removes small colour corruptions as well.

Billy T
16-10-2002, 11:19 PM
Never in my experience JM, but I'm willing to learn.

Can't see how it could though as it is optical. Can you offer any explanation?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

-=JM=-
17-10-2002, 12:04 AM
I've just found that sometimes I might have a small bit of pink by the green start button in the bottom left hand corner. Adjusting the moire fixes this sometimes.

Though it could have more to do with the monitor than anything.

BigGamerBen
21-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Dude, I have that problem.

My monitor is a CRT IBM 15R MS 15" Diameter (1024x768 Max. Resolution in pixels).

The soldering is probably dry.

If you use electrical tape and put it on the PC to Monitor connection, the monitor will turn greenish-yellow.

So, do not open your monitor since the High Voltage is at risk.
Send it to the company to fix the monitor.

However, the LCD Flatscreen Monitors are the future, I have one connected to my Xbox 360, and it has the best picture and sound.

My recommendation is send it to the company (e.g: IBM Corp. Dell, etc.)
It might take a long time to fix the monitor, but it's worth it...NOT! ($100 + S & H charges.)

Agent_24
21-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Welcome to Press F1, but please read the date on the top left of posts and don't post in topics that are 7 years out of date.

To the moderators: seriously, lock old threads already! Please!

Billy T
21-01-2009, 09:45 PM
Plus BGB's reply is a load of nonsense, in fact I can't understand why he even bothered to post at all, given that the technicalities were well covered, and accurately, by yours truly.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :groan: :sleep

Agent_24
21-01-2009, 10:49 PM
I think it may be a ploy to help increase post count (although he's failing miserably if that's the case!)