PDA

View Full Version : External hard drive recommendation

cowboy stu
15-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Looking at getting one of these. Mainly to use as backup storage. Any hints . Moderate size ( 500 gig ) spend $ 100 odd.
Brands ? Store ?

Thanks

Deimos
15-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Get this if you can swing it:
PCIe USB 3 card (about $55)
Vantec nexstar USB 3 hard drive dock (black is cheapest, about $80)
Then you can get what ever 3.5" SATA hard drive you want, add more later etc...

I have a few now and find it hard to use the big bulky external hard drives, basically I backup or archive to a plain old hard drive, and have a 500GB 2.5" USB hard drive for my pocket.

USB 3 is awesome for backups, I switch to the USB 3 docks just last week, backup times dropped from 2 hours 45 mins to 1 hour (305GB backup), CPU usage is a lot lower too, and the dock makes it really easy to swap out the backup drives.

cowboy stu
15-09-2010, 08:18 PM
thanks .. will investigate further

gary67
15-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Bond and bond had the 1Tb WD elements for $114 at the weekend and can be bought for around $130 at other shops

Deimos
15-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Actually you can get them any day of the week from a few places for $110

cowboy stu
15-09-2010, 08:56 PM
good quality ?

gary67
15-09-2010, 09:12 PM
yes they are

cowboy stu
15-09-2010, 09:15 PM
thanks sounds good.

Nomad
15-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I've bought eHDD not long ago for purely backup. My 2c is that if you are just doing backups and most times it is not attached to the computer - consider portable HDD for 500GB they are around $100-150 depending where you shop. Obviously desktop models which are heavier and larger will be cheaper or a larger size but they require a power outlet but they are faster. For backup after the first set, incremental or resync'ing, speed may not be that needed.

If it is more portable and does not need a power outlet, you may use it more often and your data is more secure.

You could also store it offsite (like have 2 eHDDs) or like in a safe vault.
If thieves break into the house (like Chc) or like the Chc earthquake or fire, your HDD is still safe and for privacy, some people may not want to ask others to store their can be private stuff (HDD). Think of family pictures, vids, private emails, income, insurance policies, solicitor communications, finance / mortgage stuff ....

cowboy stu
15-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Yep thats what I was thinking.. easy to use
Thanks

notechyet
16-09-2010, 06:15 AM
I've bought eHDD not long ago for purely backup. My 2c is that if you are just doing backups and most times it is not attached to the computer - consider portable HDD for 500GB they are around $100-150 depending where you shop.

If it is more portable and does not need a power outlet, you may use it more often and your data is more secure.

You could also store it offsite (like have 2 eHDDs) or like in a safe vault.
If thieves break into the house (like Chc) or like the Chc earthquake or fire, your HDD is still safe and for privacy ....

Nomad,not sure for how long you make the trips to the safe and back. I find the best thing after all sorts of tries is an online backup. And if you want to be safer go with two online places.
The other draw back is that I have a few "old" hdd's which I'm not sure how much longer they work and at that point?????????? My:2cents:

Nomad
16-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Nomad,not sure for how long you make the trips to the safe and back. I find the best thing after all sorts of tries is an online backup. And if you want to be safer go with two online places.
The other draw back is that I have a few "old" hdd's which I'm not sure how much longer they work and at that point?????????? My:2cents:

Uploading a modest 200GB on NZ broadband can be difficult :D
You could have like 2 eHDDs - one at home and one elsewhere.

You could combine it with online. You have your master backup each 3 or 6 months at the vault. Many people may not have a lot of new stuff and they can be kept away from the vault or online. Once you have yoru life collection, you may only have the odd photo and stuff over time, most of that is just junk anyway. Ie., photo's each week or or so ... if any all..... unless it's an event.