PDA

View Full Version : Dying hard drive?

nedkelly
15-09-2010, 04:57 PM
I have a Seagate Barracuda 80gbIDE drive that I think is dying because it shows up in the BIOS but wont show up in windows at all, I stuck it in my Powermac on a hunch, it showed up I could see the properties but would not open at all. I ran Spinrite on it but it wouldnot get past about 3.7%. Any ideas as to how I can get the data back from the drive without having to go to a data recover company?

wainuitech
15-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Have you tried Booting from A linux (ubuntu) live CD, then plugging in a USB drive and copying the data to that ?

Failing that I would use Getdataback (http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm), that will often see and recover data on damaged drives.

Its not free, (well the trial is) it only goes as far as seeing the data, it wont actually recover it till its paid for, but if you do that sort of thing a bit, its well worth the Money.

Deimos
15-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Try Recuva, its free.

I wouldn't hold out much hope of recovering the data if the drive is actually dead (unless you want to pay a small fortune to a data forensics expert like the guys at Computer Forensics)

Snorkbox
15-09-2010, 05:39 PM
I know you said it does not show up in Windows but is that Win Explorer or does it not show up in disk management either?

nedkelly
15-09-2010, 05:54 PM
@Deimos and Snorkbox: The drive will not show up in windows at all, not even in disk managment, would not even work on my bartpe disk.
@wainuitech: Did not work with Puppy but will see what Ubuntu does

wainuitech
15-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Try the Getdataback, with the drive slaved- I have had that read drives that nothing else will, as long as they were showing in the BIOS it could read it most of the time, or throw up a error saying the drive is damaged.

lots of those free recovery programs are OK for minor recovery, but for harder you need better software.

I have had getdataback read drives that have caused the PC to hang for ages on startup, sure slow to load, but if any software will that GDB will.

Guess the data is not backed up :D

Snorkbox
15-09-2010, 06:58 PM
My first thought about the data too.

nedkelly
15-09-2010, 09:47 PM
No dont have my project finished yet so this is the only copy of the data, what ever it is.
Strange thing has happened now, after running Spinrite now the drive shows up in windows.

Snorkbox
15-09-2010, 09:51 PM
So now you have access to the data you are going to back it up right this minute are you not?

In fact I hope you have done this already!!!

nedkelly
15-09-2010, 09:54 PM
I see the drive but can not access all data on it, tried Recuva from UBCD4Win but would not work due to crc error

wainuitech
16-09-2010, 08:58 AM
tried Recuva from UBCD4Win but would not work due to crc error No surprise there ;)

16-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Failing that I would use Getdataback (http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm), that will often see and recover data on damaged drives.

+1
Getdataback will recover where the freeware programs wont (sometimes)
Seems more stable than the others as well.

Win can be fussy about the state of the HD.
You may be able to use Paragon disk copy/clone (forget the exact name) to browse & copy files via the bootable CD.

Linux will see some damaged partitions etc that Win will no longer recognize

Sometimes cloning the whole drive works to get data back(sometimes)

nedkelly
16-09-2010, 02:31 PM
Too bad I dont have any spare 80gb drives lying about to clone on to.

nedkelly
16-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Ok GetDataBack wont work because the drive does not show up in any windows based operating system

wainuitech
16-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Doesn't have to, I have had drives where they only show in the BIOS, not in windows, yet GDB did detect them - other times Not, all depends as to whats wrong with the drive - Sometimes if the drive is physically damaged, then nothing apart from a recovery Company can recover the data, as they have to take the drive apart, replace heads etc, thats why a person is charged big $$$.

When you ran GDB did you tell it to scan for all drives ?

Some partitioning software is capable of exploring and extracting data from a damage drive as well.

wainuitech
16-09-2010, 08:59 PM
Add to above post -- This is what I was referring to (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Drives.jpg) - The 320GB HDD, drive 1 is stuffed, it has a LOT of failed sectors right at the beginning of the drive and wont hold a partition, and wont show in My Computer (XP) - yet Getdataback - can see it fine as a blank Drive (which it is).

The 160Gb Drive (149GB- drive 2) is the main drive with the working XP OS, and has 1 partition, hence the + under it.

nedkelly
16-09-2010, 09:32 PM
The drive would not show up at all, but shows up in spinrite and ubuntu, so trying photorec now

plod
16-09-2010, 10:19 PM
how long did you let spinrite run for

nedkelly
17-09-2010, 08:41 AM
about 7 hours, it did not move from 0.01% complete

plod
17-09-2010, 07:20 PM
about 7 hours, it did not move from 0.01% complete
If the drive is damaged it could take a lot longer then that.

nedkelly
18-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Yet when I ran PhotoRec from linux boot disk it worked right away just did not have time to let it go for a full day or more so going to try again monday

Agent_24
18-09-2010, 12:15 PM
All this stuffing around is just more likely to kill the drive off before you recover anything.

Make an image of the drive using ddrescue or whatever

Then, mount the image inside Windows with ImgDisk and scan with your favourite recovery program.

nedkelly
18-09-2010, 12:56 PM
Photorec is getting stuff off the drive, and because i am using ubuntu it cant write to NTFS

Agent_24
18-09-2010, 01:10 PM
Photorec is getting stuff off the drive, and because i am using ubuntu it cant write to NTFS

What version of Ubuntu are you using? Mine can write to NTFS just fine...

nedkelly
19-09-2010, 12:22 AM
9.10, i thought ubuntu could not write to ntfs only read which is why i use puppy linux

:pf1mobmini:

nedkelly
19-09-2010, 12:24 AM
oops cant edit posts on mobile.
Also if i did image the drive where would i stick a 60 something gb image?

:pf1mobmini:

SoniKalien
19-09-2010, 12:36 AM
my Ubuntu 10.04 can write ntsf fine

Agent_24
19-09-2010, 01:43 AM
9.10, i thought ubuntu could not write to ntfs only read which is why i use puppy linux

9.10 and 10.04 definitely support NTFS writing with the new NTFS-3g driver (I believe it's called)

I am not sure when they switched over, but the older versions I am fairly sure did support it also. However, the old driver they used was not guaranteed to be perfect.

oops cant edit posts on mobile.
Also if i did image the drive where would i stick a 60 something gb image?

On a drive with 60GB free space, of course...