PDA

View Full Version : Garbled text

rumpty
15-09-2010, 03:42 PM
A couple of regular newsletters that I receive by email often contain garbled text, such as in the attached file. Can I do anything about it? I've tried playing about with font settings, but can't resolve the problem.

Using OE.

Renmoo
15-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Hmmmm, newsletters eh?

Have you tried forwarding the e-mails to another e-mail account and see if the jumbled texts remain there when you open it?

Snorkbox
15-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Is the garbled text in the body of an email or is it in an attachment?

If in an attachment what is the file extension and what program are you using to open same?

feersumendjinn
15-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Possibly the author is using an odd/unusual font with punctuation characters that are not compatible with the standard fonts used in your mail program (or possibly the reverse), email/ring them and ask.

fred_fish
15-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Looks like the "character encoding" rather than font.

Not sure how well OE deals with different character sets as I haven't used it for about 10 years :)

Could be that the sending mailer is using one and announcing another.
Check the raw email body, there should be a header line specifying what character set is used, and see if OE has any display settings to alter.

zqwerty
15-09-2010, 08:26 PM
I have read about this and although I can't remember the terminology at the moment it is something to do with the difference between browsers and how they render characters and punctuation and MS Word/Outlook/Express, it has something to do with these punctuation marks as I remember, there was something about it being a certain format almost a bug that had not ever been dealt with and was well known to web designers/graphic artists:

'''''' and and maybe &&&&&&&&

rumpty
16-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Hmmmm, newsletters eh?

Have you tried forwarding the e-mails to another e-mail account and see if the jumbled texts remain there when you open it?

I forwarded it to my old Freenet email account, and their webmail page also displays the garbled characters. One character is different (also wrong), but basically the same errors.

The problem is in the body of the email.

Content-Type: text/plain; charset = "UTF-8"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

There doesn't seem to be an option in OE for UTF-8, but the best result is to untick "use default encoding for all incoming messages"

Renmoo
17-09-2010, 10:59 PM
In that case, it seems like it is the sender's end that is causing the problem.

rumpty
18-09-2010, 02:53 PM
In that case, it seems like it is the sender's end that is causing the problem.

Could it be that they are using a Mac?

wainuitech
18-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Could be -- if the person is using a MAC, and you windows, there may be fonts on the MAC that are not in windows programs you have.

The garbled could be because windows has no idea as to what they are meant to be..