PDA

View Full Version : When will vdsl2 be available?

jareemon
15-09-2010, 10:39 AM
I noticed on the telecom wholesale site (http://telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps) that my area will have vdsl2 in december. Does that mean that in december i'll be able to go on a vdsl2 plan straight away or will i have to wait longer until the isp's are ready or..?

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Ask them

Chilling_Silence
15-09-2010, 11:14 AM
It's coming very soon. I've been liaising with Telecom about their select group of people trialling it (Unfortunately I'm too far from the exchange and we don't get cabinets until next year to be included in the trial), but they're getting ready to release it soon...

They're taking this opportunity to basically enforce additional checks and things, such as requiring a certain a certain line quality, things like that. Good on them too, finally people may start seeing that the problem is not the backhaul network.

jareemon
15-09-2010, 11:32 AM
So say for example now im on adsl2 and get 12mb/s, and the theoretical max speed is 25mb/s, (?) and vdsl2 max theoretical speed is 450mb/s, does that mean ill get around the 200mb/s speed or more? :)
and just to clarify, is this upload speed aswell?

Ive heard most adsl modems support vdsl2, is this also true?

Chilling_Silence
15-09-2010, 11:42 AM
Not quite. I'd guess you'll likely double or triple your speed.
Upload is faster, but not symmetrical.

No, only a select few VDSL2 devices will be supported, you will need to replace your existing device.

They're also *requiring* that you get your line split, rather than just using the filters as you can with ADSL at the moment. A good move IMO!

xyz823
15-09-2010, 11:49 AM
They're also *requiring* that you get your line split, rather than just using the filters as you can with ADSL at the moment. A good move IMO!

How much will that cost?

Looks like the exchange in Timaru has been upgraded and the cabinets are all scheduled to be done in December. Cool!

jareemon
15-09-2010, 11:53 AM

I concur.
Thanks chilly

jareemon
15-09-2010, 11:59 AM
How much will that cost?

Looks like the exchange in Timaru has been upgraded and the cabinets are all scheduled to be done in December. Cool!
I think its pretty cheap, small job.

Snorkbox
15-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Define cheap. Only an arm instead of arm + leg?

Nomad
15-09-2010, 12:03 PM
So say for example now im on adsl2 and get 12mb/s, and the theoretical max speed is 25mb/s, (?) and vdsl2 max theoretical speed is 450mb/s, does that mean ill get around the 200mb/s speed or more? :)
and just to clarify, is this upload speed aswell?

Ive heard most adsl modems support vdsl2, is this also true?

if you want 200mb, you can try to get a dedicated line to yourself :D

inphinity
15-09-2010, 12:04 PM
I still laugh that the cabiner we're on is scheduled for VDSL2 in October 2010, but not ADSL2+ until December, lol. The exchange went to ADSL2+ 2 years ago and VDSL2 last month I believe.

Nomad
15-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Not quite. I'd guess you'll likely double or triple your speed.
Upload is faster, but not symmetrical.

No, only a select few VDSL2 devices will be supported, you will need to replace your existing device.

I'm prob wrong but some DSL types are assymetrical like ADSL that can run a phoneline with it but some are not. So I think it's by design.

Chilling_Silence
15-09-2010, 12:12 PM
So I think it's by design.
Yup!

They're still determining the price for splitting the line from what I understand.
Purely personal speculation here: It may be free? It may be bundled with the "joining fee", it may be $100? They may run a promotion when they launch that it's cheaper for the first customers, or they may screw you over like the early TiVo adopters... (Yes, that's sour grapes from me about TiVo)

I really don't know unfortunately.

decibel
15-09-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm prob wrong but some DSL types are assymetrical like ADSL that can run a phoneline with it but some are not. So I think it's by design.

That fact that ADSL is asymmetrical has nothing to do with it the phone attached to the line. There is an ADSL version that has no POTS line and also one that has an ISDN line attached.

By the time ITU got around to the VDSL spec. they realised that lots of users wanted more upstream bandwidth.

Tony
16-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Ah, VDSL2 - I can only dream...

My exchange (Waiatarua) is not scheduled to get ADSL2+ until Dec 2011! There is a list of exchanges and their upgrade dates somewhere, and when I last looked, Waiuatarua was the very last (sigh).

Snorkbox
16-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Don't worry about VDSL2.

We are getting FTTD instead thanks to Crown Fibre Holdings.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Don't worry about VDSL2.

We are getting FTTD instead thanks to Crown Fibre Holdings.

...and they have cookies too ;)

Cellux
17-09-2010, 10:44 AM
So if our cabinets are equipped with VDSL2 already, can we apply to join the pilot?

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Unfortunately it's a closed pilot, they've approached a few select people, but it should be live pretty soon (By the end of the year I *think*). As I hear things, I'll post :)

Agent_24
29-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I just saw that my new ADSL2+ cabinet will support VDSL2 in December, which I live 200 meters away from.

That sounds rather promising but I expect there will be some issues, such as:

1) VDSL2 router will be at least $200
2) Data cap will be 3GB, and that will cost $80
3) it will get worse from there.

Snorkbox
29-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Published today.

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/telecom-wholesale-soft-launches-vdsl2-fast-broadband?opendocument&utm_source=topnews&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=topnews

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Good that they're putting in such strict guidelines for the product and not just saying "Sure anybody can sign up". Hopefully that'll stop a lot of the bitching from ignorant consumers who don't realize the issue is more with their line and crappy CPE than the service itself.

Pricing for the VDSL2 service is still being decided by the Commerce Commission which is preparing a final standards term decision after issuing a draft one, but is expected to be higher than for Telecom’s existing ADSL2+ service.
And some people still ignorantly believe that FTTH will be cheaper than ADSL2+, when VDSL2 even isn't...

Snorkbox
29-09-2010, 04:10 PM
But CS the goal posts will change as usual and contracts will change as usual will they not?

Sometime ago I left Telecom for Orcon as they promised no datacap and all I can eat etc and no nasty surprises on my bill. Orcon then reneged on that so I went back to Telecom. Then Telecom brought out Bigtime and we know what happend there don't we?

I'm still with Telecom and have a 10 Gig datacap and I don't exceed that. It's affordable and works for me. Then again I don't use Torrents and feel the need to download the whole of the Internet.

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 04:17 PM
When I signed up for "Jetstream" nearly 10 years ago now, it was "As fast as your line will let you", we were getting 7800kbps. I think it was 5GB per-month too, though it may have been 10GB (To be honest I can't remember), all for the same price as you currently pay for a 10GB plan.

What's changed?

Note: That's rhetorical, I know that's changed and what hasn't ...

davehold
29-09-2010, 04:23 PM
I have a new ADSL2+ Cabinet at the end of the street. Its supposed to be live in a few weeks, so what performance gain should I expect to see... if any? I already have a Linksys ADSL2+ Modem/router.

I just saw that my new ADSL2+ cabinet will support VDSL2 in December, which I live 200 meters away from.

That sounds rather promising but I expect there will be some issues, such as:

1) VDSL2 router will be at least $200
2) Data cap will be 3GB, and that will cost $80
3) it will get worse from there.

Snorkbox
29-09-2010, 04:26 PM
You can EXPECT any performance gain you like. What you actually get is another matter however.

Agent_24
29-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Depends what you are getting now, how far you are from it, the actual copper length, the condition of it, and your house wiring...

I went from connecting at 2Mbit to 15Mbit (but only download at 13.33Mbit)

Still I think whatever killed my speed previously is also ruining my speed now as according to most websites anything under 900 metres should get the full 24Mbit.

Also half the time when I turn my router on I have to reboot it so it will actually sync up. Happens on 2 different routers and never happened prior to the cabinet upgrade.

But of course Telecom don't give a damn. Nor do I think would anyone else.

davehold
29-09-2010, 04:30 PM
I am currently getting 2.8MBit and we are located 100-120 metres from the new cabinet. Here s hoping for that 13-15MBits.

Depends what you are getting now, how far you are from it, the actual copper length, the condition of it, and your house wiring...

I went from connecting at 2Mbit to 15Mbit (but only download at 13.33Mbit)

Still I think whatever killed my speed previously is also ruining my speed now as according to most websites anything under 900 metres should get the full 24Mbit.

Also half the time when I turn my router on I have to reboot it so it will actually sync up. Happens on 2 different routers and never happened prior to the cabinet upgrade.

But of course Telecom don't give a damn. Nor do I think would anyone else.

Battleneter2
29-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Yawn, FTTD is coming for you Telecom, this isn't going to sway the government, your monopoly days are numbered :)