PDA

View Full Version : Vista Home Basic

BigBadBob
15-09-2010, 08:36 AM
Does anyone know where I can legally download a copy of Vista Home Basic 32 bit. I have a laptop & COA with a dead HDD which I have replaced but as the laptop was bought second hand with no install discs I need to source one.

wainuitech
15-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Downloading it legally may be a problem. You dont have to have a Home Basic DVD either, any Vista DVD will do as long as its 32 bit OEM.

When you install Vista, and enter in your Product key, that will determine the version thats is installed, the Vista dvd comes with all versions on the One DVD.

BigBadBob
15-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Downloading it legally may be a problem. You dont have to have a Home Basic DVD either, any Vista DVD will do as long as its 32 bit OEM.

When you install Vista, and enter in your Product key, that will determine the version thats is installed, the Vista dvd comes with all versions on the One DVD.
Thanks wainuitech for your quick response!..and so early in the morning too! You're magic. I do have a couple of Home Prem disks around somewhere, must track them down.

SoniKalien
15-09-2010, 09:56 AM
You maybe able to contact the laptop maker and ask them to send you a recovery disk.

Nomad
15-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I thought manufacturers use OEM :confused:

If the above does not work manufacturers usually allow you to buy the recovery disks off them at a fee.

Nomad
15-09-2010, 09:58 AM
You maybe able to contact the laptop maker and ask them to send you a recovery disk.

Won't be cheap, some may charge $50US.

BigBadBob
15-09-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks all. Everything now installed incl updates & drivers and programs - sweet as!!

wainuitech
15-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Yep - I had to do the exact same thing this time last week, booted from a Vista ultimate OEM DVD, put in the customers Home Basic COA, and it loaded in Home basic sweet as :thumbs: