PDA

View Full Version : WD TV Mini - two problems

FAB
14-09-2010, 08:35 PM
HI All

I've got one of these at home, had it for a while. Just upgraded to latest FW.

But...I've dumped some family DVDs onto it - VOB files. If I put them under VIDEO_TS (as in \movies\Disneyland\VIDEO_TS) they run fine but what a hassle to get there - have to navigate all the way to the VIDEO_TS folder and hit play.

I tried using freeware to join the VOBs but I still want the menus to work, so that's no go. So I moved all the files to the root (eg \movies\disneyland) and deleted the VIDEO_TS folder thinking maybe just hitting Play on the folder would work, but it doesn't, it just navigates into the folder then you have to play the first VOB.

Is there some easier way I am missing out on here?

Also, while I'm asking, I'd love to have any sort of a thumbnail to show - it just doesn't seem to work unless you go all the way into the VIDEO_TS folder and select a VOB.

According the Wester Digital, the hype is: "Thumbnail, list and video previews Browse your content by file name or by thumbnails of photos, album covers and movie cover art. Preview videos while you browse your content. "

Movie Cover art? I'd love that to work! Any suggestions from existing owners gratefully accepted.

BTW the manual says nothing on either of these topics.

Cheers in advance

gary67
14-09-2010, 09:57 PM
You need to burn it to disc as an actual DVD using something like DVD shrink (use a RW) then copy it to the WD TV that way it will play or convert to .AVI will do the same thing

Speedy Gonzales
14-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Nice try spammer, but it didnt work

FAB
15-09-2010, 08:26 AM
You need to burn it to disc as an actual DVD using something like DVD shrink (use a RW) then copy it to the WD TV that way it will play or convert to .AVI will do the same thing

Uh yeah I've done that - I can watch the movies fine, but want to make it easier by (ideally) cutting out the need for the VIDEO_TS folder...

I don't want to convert it to AVI - I still want the menu system to work, that's not going to happen if it's an AVI.

davidmmac
15-09-2010, 09:18 AM
On the subject of cover art I think you just rename the picture the same as the file eg:

Random movie.avi
Random movie.jpg

Make sure they're in the same folder too.

I tried it a couple of times and it seems to work.

Chilling_Silence
15-09-2010, 11:44 AM
My wife and I have run a few VOB files on our WDTV Live. They didn't ahve to be in the VIDEO_TS folder, but my wife had to manually specify the .VOB file she wanted to run to start the DVD off as she does with all the other video files.

FAB
15-09-2010, 02:04 PM
HI guys

Re the jpegs =- I saw that and have tried it for an AVI file - can't remember if it worked or not...will try again.

Hey CS re that way youy wife does it - that's what I tried, deleted the VIDEO_TS folder and moved the VOBs up one level, but then the kids have to remember which VOB to play.

The thing is, it should be easier - and I think would be with a FW upgrade to fix this?

Chilling_Silence
15-09-2010, 02:34 PM
Nah firmware upgrades don't fix that, neither do custom firmwares.

Basically just tell your kids to look for the first .VOB file. They'll remember. I told my wife and she has ;)