PDA

View Full Version : back to radio...

The Error Guy
14-09-2010, 04:52 PM
I am taking a good step back in time and starting to work with radio technology again.

Basically I have a spare PC that I will be using to stream media content at the boarding house, I also want to use something similar to the old iTrips to play my music over the FM radio frequency's but I thought i'd better get a few things straight first.

What is the maximum power output for FM under the general user license? (i think it was 0.5w)

what stations are the general users allowed to broadcast on or is it any free freq as long as it does not cause interference?

Random Q: is there a way to send a radio based signal that can be interpreted via radio --> USB that can give my computer basic commands eg next song?

Also, we are quite a way out from town (country school xD), if there was a free freq could we legally broadcast at a higher power? eg 1-5w?

faith1806
14-09-2010, 06:26 PM
when i was in university, i always listened in to the radio, but i did not touch my radio in past few months. i don't think we can send signal that can be interpreted via radio. the radio does not have the powerful functions.

The Error Guy
16-09-2010, 08:34 AM
You can send signal, very easily with with even the smallest FM transmitter. unless all the channels are being used by more powerful stations then you should be able to pick up the transmissions on the receiver.

Anyone can do it, even with more powerful radios... then it become on the fringe of legality though. the people who control radio in NZ (forgot the name) have heavy fines and penalties for people who break the rules.