PDA

View Full Version : New Computer

Pato
14-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I am going to get a new computer built and in the latest "NZ PC World" they have specs for a medium performance PC. The specs suggested are:

CPU Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz
Mobo Asus P7P55D-ELXUSB 3.0SATA 6GB LGA1156ATX
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 -1600CL8
GPU Zotac GeForce GTX470 1280MB GDDR5
Case Lian-LiLanCool Dragonlord PC-K62B
PSU Silverstone ST50F-230 500W Modular
DVD Samsung SH-S22322x SATA DualLayer DVDRW
HDD 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATAll
Any suggestions would be appreciated before I visit my local Tech.
The only game I would possible play on it would be the MS FSX Flight Simulator.
Also not sure whether to stick with XP or go to windows7 but I guess I am
the only one who can make that decision. Cheers.

Nomad
14-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I would consider something instead of Samsung .... like Seagate or WD HDs and ASUS or Pioneer DVDs ..

Not sure about WinXP can you still get software drivers for it? A few software might not run on WinXP. I know at least when I was on win2k some Adobe editions required XP - this was back some yrs.

Does Flight Sim work in XP?

Also not sure about Silverstone, some people here not like it but I have not tried it myself. Probably ok I thou for the general user out there.

If you are looking for a local tech - consider Ascent they are in Welly CBD (Willis St), they can build your PC and send it to you courier free.

qazwsxokmijn
14-09-2010, 05:11 PM
Silverstone is an excellent choice. Not the best, but still excellent.

I would class that system as a mid-end high end system if that makes sense. It's high-end, but on the mid-end side of the high-end. Get it? :p

Pato
14-09-2010, 05:11 PM
I would consider something instead of Samsung .... like Seagate or WD HDs and ASUS or Pioneer DVDs ..

Not sure about WinXP can you still get software drivers for it? A few software might not run on WinXP. I know at least when I was on win2k some Adobe editions required XP - this was back some yrs.

Does Flight Sim work in XP?

Also not sure about Silverstone, some people here not like it but I have not tried it myself. Probably ok I thou for the general user out there.

If you are looking for a local tech - consider Ascent they are in Welly CBD (Willis St), they can build your PC and send it to you courier free.
Thanks. I had the same thoughts about the Samsung HD and I prefer WD.
Yes. Flight Sim works ok with XP but I probably won't run it on the new pc.
Wonder what PSU I should ask for if Silverstone not recommended. Perhaps someone else will come up with some suggestions.

Nomad
14-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Corsair is good I hear, traditionally Antec and Enermax are good.

Pato
14-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Silverstone is an excellent choice. Not the best, but still excellent.

I would class that system as a mid-end high end system if that makes sense. It's high-end, but on the mid-end side of the high-end. Get it? :pI think I know what you mean!!

pctek
14-09-2010, 05:32 PM
CPU Intel Core i5 760 2.80GHz
Mobo Asus P7P55D-ELXUSB 3.0SATA 6GB LGA1156ATX
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 -1600CL8
GPU Zotac GeForce GTX470 1280MB GDDR5
Case Lian-LiLanCool Dragonlord PC-K62B
PSU Silverstone ST50F-230 500W Modular
DVD Samsung SH-S22322x SATA DualLayer DVDRW
HDD 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 7200RPM 32MB Cache SATAll

The only game I would possible play on it would be the MS FSX Flight Simulator.
Win7.
And because of MSFX up the CPU to the best core i7 you can afford, even if you downgrade some other part. It's one of the few games that is CPU hungry rather than GPU (not to say a rubbish GPU is OK though.)

Pato
14-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Thanks. Apart from going to i7 does the rest look ok.?

QW.
14-09-2010, 08:39 PM
If your going to be running FSX make sure you get both of the service packs. FSX Acceleration has SP2 included.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/10/02/acceleration-and-sp2.aspx (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/10/02/acceleration-and-sp2.aspx)

Pato
14-09-2010, 09:25 PM
If your going to be running FSX make sure you get both of the service packs. FSX Acceleration has SP2 included.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/10/02/acceleration-and-sp2.aspx (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/10/02/acceleration-and-sp2.aspx)I already have FSX with Acceleration. Thanks.
I am more interested in getting comments on the proposed PC and whether
there needs to be any changes to the components. Cheers.

Pato
15-09-2010, 09:23 AM
I would appreciate any other comments about these specs' from those who know their way around computers. Thanks.

qazwsxokmijn
15-09-2010, 03:24 PM
The specs are fine. In regards to FSX performance when coupled with an i5 or i7 CPU - seems like you're more likely to benefit from a higher clock speed than the HTT feature only i7s have. So what I would suggest now is simply buy an aftermarket cooler such as a Prolimatech Megahalems with a mid-RPM fan or a Corsair H50 and overclock the i5 bugger to 3.6GHz at least or go for gold and go for 4GHz! :D

Pato
15-09-2010, 05:10 PM
The specs are fine. In regards to FSX performance when coupled with an i5 or i7 CPU - seems like you're more likely to benefit from a higher clock speed than the HTT feature only i7s have. So what I would suggest now is simply buy an aftermarket cooler such as a Prolimatech Megahalems with a mid-RPM fan or a Corsair H50 and overclock the i5 bugger to 3.6GHz at least or go for gold and go for 4GHz! :DAppreciate your input.
I have found out that that case is too big for my available space so I am now looking for another suitable smaller case. Cheers.

robbyp
15-09-2010, 05:13 PM
You could save some money by going for an i3 chip, which perform really well and they are quite a bit cheaper than the i5 one.

Pato
15-09-2010, 05:46 PM
You could save some money by going for an i3 chip, which perform really well and they are quite a bit cheaper than the i5 one.Yes. I had thought about that and am still thinking LOL.

Snorkbox
15-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Park the case on top of the desk maybe? It's where I have mine to get easy access to the rear ports rather than having to crawl around on the floor. :)

qazwsxokmijn
15-09-2010, 06:06 PM
AFAIK i3 CPUs are not that good for gaming. If I remember a review of the i3 650 correctly it's just not as good as an i5 750 even at a higher clock.

Pato
15-09-2010, 06:51 PM
Park the case on top of the desk maybe? It's where I have mine to get easy access to the rear ports rather than having to crawl around on the floor. :)That wouldn't work with my desk, unfortunately.

pctek
15-09-2010, 07:01 PM
In regards to FSX performance when coupled with an i5 or i7 CPU - seems like you're more likely to benefit from a higher clock speed than the HTT feature only i7s have.

Take a look at JJJJJs computer - he is another MSFX only gamer.
It matters.

qazwsxokmijn
15-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Take a look at JJJJJs computer - he is another MSFX only gamer.
It matters.
So FSX benefits from HTT? From the reviews of HTT on gaming I've seen HTT doesn't really improve games, it's even detrimental for some. But heh, I paid for my HTT in my 920 and I'm leaving it on! :D

QW.
15-09-2010, 08:41 PM
I already have FSX with Acceleration. Thanks.
I am more interested in getting comments on the proposed PC and whether
there needs to be any changes to the components. Cheers.

Sorry to have gone off topic. Hope you enjoy your new PC with FSX running.

robbyp
15-09-2010, 10:07 PM
AFAIK i3 CPUs are not that good for gaming. If I remember a review of the i3 650 correctly it's just not as good as an i5 750 even at a higher clock. As long as it has got a good graphics card, it should be fine for a flight sim with an i3 chip I would have thought. I have one in a new PC I built and have been really impressed with it's performance.