PDA

View Full Version : Is my wireless router had its time

bruciebear
14-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I have had a D-Link DSL-G604T for a few years worked fine. Now either my laptop says everything is fine full strength but you cant access the Internet or it also drops the line completely. Have to re boot the router up to 5 times a day, then it comes on fine.
Is it time to get a new one?
We run 2 laptops off it, dont do a heck of alot, just emailing and surfing and remote access to work. No gaming.
If its time for a new one any suggestions at a reasonable price? Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
14-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Is the firmware up to date? And how far is the router from the laptops? And is it secure? And what OS's are on them?

forrest44
14-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Routers can suffer from the bad capacitor problem, could pay to pop the top and check if any are bulging/leaking

bruciebear
14-09-2010, 04:31 PM
It is secure and the laptops operate within the same small room as the router.
I am a novice bout the other querys but the router has not been touched or upgraded in any way. This has only been happening for the past 2 months. Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
14-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Did you buy the router or did you get it with telecom (if you're with them)

Because Revision C (if you brought it), the first version did lock up in some circumstances

bruciebear
16-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Not from Telecom we brought it. I also notice that Telecom says my address has ADSL2. This DLink is not ADSL2 so I presume it would be worth getting a new router anyway to improve speed?

WarNox
16-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Not from Telecom we brought it. I also notice that Telecom says my address has ADSL2. This DLink is not ADSL2 so I presume it would be worth getting a new router anyway to improve speed?

I believe this would depend on how far you are from the exchange. ADSL2+ supports speeds of up to 24mbps but you will only get that if you live in the exchange. ADSL1 can offer speeds up to 12mbps, and I'd say most people in NZ do not get over this on ADSL2.

I'm not sure about this but maybe someone else can confirm it. If the max speed of your line to your house is 10mbps, due to the distance from the exchange, you will get 10mbps on ADSL1 or ADSL2.

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2010, 09:53 AM
The modem is ADSL2, (well mine is, and its the same model), but is the plan you're on ADSL2??

Chilling_Silence
16-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Yup I'd say time for a new one. The Netcomm NB6Plus4Wn are good, see here:
http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/?p=84

bruciebear
17-09-2010, 11:23 AM
Indeed you are correct my DLink is ADSL2 so that is fine. I phoned Dlink and they also told me to update the firmware. Thanks for your help.