PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 Lag Issue

vims213
14-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Hey guys,

I purchased a XBOX 360 a few months ago but have been suffering from lag and disconnection issues with XBOX Live. For example, when I'm playing Call Of Duty MW2, I get only one bar for every game I play.

I am using a XBOX Wireless Adapter as my router is downstairs.
I also set my NAT Type to Open.

Is there a device that I can connect upstairs that can improve the wireless range. My router is a NetComm NB6Plus4Wn Wireless Router.

If not, are there any alternatives to sorting out my problem?

Speedy Gonzales
14-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Probably not that reliable with wireless. Does the router have a DMZ option?? If it does, add the adapter's ip to it

Battleneter2
14-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Live is fine with wireless in general, but like all wireless it is prone to distance issues, cordless telephones, metal between you and the AP etc.

Start eliminating the problem by moving the 360 to the same room as the AP for testing. If Live runs fine you know you have a interference issue.

Yes you can buy a wireless repeater or bridge another AP, but run some basic tests first before shelling out $$

Agent_24
14-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Use an ethernet cable, they work perfectly!

vims213
16-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Would a "Network Switch" work?

Is it possible to place a network switch upstairs and connect to my wireless router via wireless? And then, can use a LAN Cable to connect the network switch to my XBOX 360 console.

I did add my IP Address for the XBOX as a DMZ Host but I still get disconnection problems.

vims213
16-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Can this connect to my router downstairs?

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MODNCM1014

It says that it is a Wireless Access point so does this mean that this router can connect to the wireless router downstairs without setting the IP Address.
Also the wireless access point router has LAN ports, so can I connect a LAN Cable from the wireless router to the XBOX Console?

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2010, 10:03 PM
You can replace the one you have now with it. Since its a wireless modem/router. Only thing is, if the Xbox isn't the new one, it'll only run at wireless G speed not N

Agent_24
16-09-2010, 11:50 PM
I would try moving the Xbox up to the router, or wherever, and connected with Ethernet to see if it makes any difference

Then you'll know if it's the router or the connection itself

vims213
17-09-2010, 09:43 AM
I would try moving the Xbox up to the router, or wherever, and connected with Ethernet to see if it makes any difference

Then you'll know if it's the router or the connection itself

I don't really want to move it since the XBOX is connected to my Computer Monitor and I would have to disconnect all my wires.

I think there is interference and also the rest of the family do use the internet regularly.

You can replace the one you have now with it. Since its a wireless modem/router. Only thing is, if the Xbox isn't the new one, it'll only run at wireless G speed not N

The router I currently have is a N Wireless and the XBOX Wireless Adapter is N-Wireless as well so it should be running at N.

Can I use any different branded WAP or does it have to be a NetComm brand? All I want to do is see if increasing the range of the wireless signal will improve connectivity.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't really want to move it since the XBOX is connected to my Computer Monitor and I would have to disconnect all my wires.

I think there is interference and also the rest of the family do use the internet regularly.
Sounds like you may need QoS. What happens if you play first thing in the morning before everybody else wakes up?

I'm with Agent_24 and Battleneter2, you don't have to do it permanently, but that will at least let you know if the issue is with the gear at your place, or your internet connection.

The router I currently have is a N Wireless and the XBOX Wireless Adapter is N-Wireless as well so it should be running at N.

Can I use any different branded WAP or does it have to be a NetComm brand? All I want to do is see if increasing the range of the wireless signal will improve connectivity.
You can, but you're not likely to get much of an improvement, if any. Those NetComm NB6Plus4Wn's are pretty good!

vims213
17-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Sounds like you may need QoS. What happens if you play first thing in the morning before everybody else wakes up?

I'm with Agent_24 and Battleneter2, you don't have to do it permanently, but that will at least let you know if the issue is with the gear at your place, or your internet connection.

The connection is great in the morning and after 11pm at night (but I do need my sleep!!).
During the day and evening (12pm - 10pm), when playing Modern Warfare 2, the connection is 1-2 bars compared to other people who have 3 or 4 bars.

Could I be getting bad servers as I don't get many NZ servers. I mainly get servers from Australia and surprisingly all the way in US.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2010, 10:49 AM
When that happens during the day, on your PC, do this:
Click Start --> Run --> type "cmd" and press Enter
Now, type in:
ping -n 300 trademe.co.nz

Post the last 4 lines of the results.

vims213
17-09-2010, 01:11 PM
When that happens during the day, on your PC, do this:
Click Start --> Run --> type "cmd" and press Enter
Now, type in:
ping -n 300 trademe.co.nz

Post the last 4 lines of the results.

Ping statistics for 202.162.73.2:
Packets: Sent = 300, Received = 300, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 44ms, Maximum = 181ms, Average = 51ms

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Looks like it's just the WiFi + Distance to the xbox. The max of 181 is a bit of a cause for concern, but considering the average is 51ms, it should definitely be "playable"!

vims213
17-09-2010, 04:42 PM
Looks like it's just the WiFi + Distance to the xbox. The max of 181 is a bit of a cause for concern, but considering the average is 51ms, it should definitely be "playable"!

Do you think a Wireless Access Point solve the connection issue.

Also, does the WAP have to be close to the router or can I place it upstairs?

Thanks for your help on this! It's been bugging me for a couple of weeks.

Battleneter2
17-09-2010, 04:47 PM

To Eliminate most IT faults of this nature, logical process of elimination is required and yes it may mean you have to do a little work :)

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2010, 05:02 PM
Err since the NetComm NB6Plus4Wn is wireless N, (and you can use it as an AP), and you're looking for an AP, then what are you using now? If your Xbox wireless is G then buy the wireless N adapter.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2010, 11:47 PM
To Eliminate most IT faults of this nature, logical process of elimination is required and yes it may mean you have to do a little work :)

:thumbs::thumbs:

If the AP is closer, then yes, it would *possibly* help, depending on how much closer it is.