PDA

View Full Version : Strange networking issue

nofam
14-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I've got a bit of head-scratcher with an HP Compaq 6730s notebook not being able to connect to our DHCP server. It, along with two Lenovo thinkpads, connect to our LAN via a D-Link 8-port switch (yeah, yeah I know, but there's only one data outlet in the office where they are based :p).

When I connect the HP notebook, I get the limited or no connectivity error, and even when I assign it a static IP, it can't see anything else on the LAN.

Both Lenovo's connect fine however.

I've just brought it back to my desk, and plugged it directly into the LAN, and it connects, and gets an IP address as normal.

Any ideas?

Nomad
14-09-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't have a solution.

It could just be a set up or compatibility issue.
From experience a laptop here, IBM Thinkpad P3 running win2k used to connect okay thru a router or P2P but if I did the other way round didn't work. Before Service Pack was installed it was working on both situations without issues.

Have you tried DHCP?

Your last line - is it working now and not before? Could be just bad soldering or something. I had that before with some Mini PCI cards... (network). It worked now but if you moved it, didn't unless you gave it some hrs to settle.

MushHead
14-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Dud port on the switch? You have tried one of the working ports used by the ThinkPads, right?

Mind you, I had a similar problem a few years ago when my motherboard ethernet connector got fussy with a couple of different brands of switches (or probably vice versa). I found a switch it was happy with (ironically a D-Link, as opposed to a NetGear & cheapo Genius), but over time the port ended up being very slow & then dying (followed sometime later by the rest of the MB with leaky caps).

nofam
14-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Dud port on the switch? You have tried one of the working ports used by the ThinkPads, right?

Mind you, I had a similar problem a few years ago when my motherboard ethernet connector got fussy with a couple of different brands of switches (or probably vice versa). I found a switch it was happy with (ironically a D-Link, as opposed to a NetGear & cheapo Genius), but over time the port ended up being very slow & then dying (followed sometime later by the rest of the MB with leaky caps).

Yeah, I unplugged one of the Thinkpads that was working, and tried the HP on it - no go. . . .that's what has me stumped. It must be an issue with the NIC not seeing eye-to-eye with the switch or something?

SolMiester
14-09-2010, 12:28 PM
What SP is the HP, I had issues with SP3 if run with a netgear nic, it wouldnt work after service packing!
Try a new driver for the NIC, or force some of the driver options

nofam
14-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Ok - should've done some more investigating. . . .turns out the patch lead I was using to the D-link was on a phone/data splitter :yuck: Had to half-dismantle an in situ desk to see the data outlet.

Repatched it, and updated the NIC driver, and now all is well. :badpc:

Agent_24
14-09-2010, 01:26 PM
What? so you were trying to run your Ethernet over a phone cable through an ADSL filter?

nofam
14-09-2010, 02:09 PM
What? so you were trying to run your Ethernet over a phone cable through an ADSL filter?

No no no - this is a large site with a full structured cable network; there was only a dual outlet on the wall, one of which was patched to a phone extension, and the other of which was split at both the wall outlet & cabinet with a data/phone splitter.

I hate splitters, but sometimes they're a necessary evil. . . .