PDA

View Full Version : Phone scam

pine-o-cleen
13-09-2010, 09:38 PM
I have been receiving calls from a number starting with 0091 and that is 14 digits in length. The phone would ring for less than 2 rings and then hang up, and then the same a few minutes later.

Now I read about a scam where this would happen, and naturally, the person being rung would want to ring back, out of curiosity, and would get a large bill on their phone account.

Is this what these calls are? If so, what can I do about it?

bob_doe_nz
13-09-2010, 09:50 PM
0091 is India. More than likely it's scammers.

The Error Guy
14-09-2010, 08:38 AM
Talk to your service provider about prank or nuisance calls, they most likely would block the number or contact the abuse department in india

pine-o-cleen
14-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Ok, so my wife just got one of these calls, from an 0044 number now. Weird.

gary67
14-09-2010, 10:05 PM
That's the UK

Blue Druid
15-09-2010, 11:55 PM
With all the outsourcing that's going on to third world countries, it was probably your ISP calling to ask if you're satisfied with their service.

Billy T
16-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Is this what these calls are? If so, what can I do about it?

Simple, don't answer them, it sounds like a 'bait and catch' scheme to me!

If you don't know anybody calling from those prefixes, why would you want to call back???

Curiosity simply killed the cat, no harm done, but it can empty the bank account of a doofus.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :pf1mobmini:

forrest44
16-09-2010, 02:03 AM
Someone I know, fooling around one time, dialed a random number and had a conversation with a random dude for 30s or so. Quite funny to listen to

Which brings me to the question, is this behaviour illegal in any way (dialing numbers unsolicited)? If so, what might you do about these overseas numbers?

gary67
16-09-2010, 07:51 AM
I doubt dialling someone is illegal however it could be spam if they then try and sell you something

Marnie
16-09-2010, 10:22 AM
With all the outsourcing that's going on to third world countries, it was probably your ISP calling to ask if you're satisfied with their service.

:lol: Unfortunately there may be a grain of truth in that!!

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Probably related to this

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10673807

Type the number in Google. Some of the calls we've had I've typed into Google, have been telemarketers / known scam numbers

16-09-2010, 02:13 PM
or could be this
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/scam-news/scam-alert-14

There Is alot of this happening in Ak at the mo. (below)
Ph call claiming to be a PC repair Company , saying urgent security risk, I need remote access to your PC.
They they do who knows what on the PC.
Unfortunately some are falling for the scam.

datapuzzle
18-09-2010, 05:04 AM
i believe there's an option on your phone that you can block the nos. of the unknown caller -it might be a scam or it might be someone's just fooling around with you and your wife. if it really is an important call they may send you sms or they will wait for you to answer the call

Speedy Gonzales
18-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Ph call claiming to be a PC repair Company , saying urgent security risk, I need remote access to your PC. They they do who knows what on the PC.
Unfortunately some are falling for the scam.

Funny you should say that. A few weeks ago the sis in OZ called me saying some place in New York (how they knew, I have no idea), called her to say her system had to be updated (A Dell PC). And asked if he could log in using teamviewer.

And she let him. So I got into her system using teamviewer. And sure enough some office updates hadnt been installed.

Tried to update it the updates failed. Then a message appeared saying windows was counterfeit (she got it off Ebay or some place). She tried to update MSE as well). In the end I told her to remove the hdd and trash the rest. Then put the hdd in one of her other computers then format it

wainuitech
18-09-2010, 10:48 AM
or could be this
http://www.consumeraffairs.govt.nz/scam-news/scam-alert-14

There Is alot of this happening in Ak at the mo. (below)
Ph call claiming to be a PC repair Company , saying urgent security risk, I need remote access to your PC.
They they do who knows what on the PC.
Unfortunately some are falling for the scam. Had one of my customers call me at 8.30 pm the other night with the same thing.

She followed through what he was directing her, which was to look at the event Viewer, and told her the PC was about to crash, and lose all its data, he could fix it -- as soon as he said she needed to download team viewer she said she would call her IT guy and ask first (Me) -- Of course I told her No bloody way was she to do that. What tipped her off was others voices in the background, a lot of people it sounded like, all saying the same "line of bull".

I had to explain what team viewer was, and it is quite safe, its what he would be doing that isn't.

Good side of it ( for me) -- she said she was wanting a New PC for the kids (they have been hounding her for months) and made an appointment for me to go see her next week since she had me on the phone.