PDA

View Full Version : Hard Disk UN-Partitioning

09-09-2001, 03:17 PM
Hi

I am working on a friends PC - Pentium 166 with a 1GB HDD

Previous attempts to re-install WIN98 have been unsuccessful as the end of installation for some reason requires me to insert a FDD disk and then the 98 startup screen appears for 'with or without CD rom support' etc.

If I try to simply start as per usual, I get a dos command indicating that it cannot find the disk on Drive A, or words to that effect.

I therefore want to do a complete re-build from scratch .

The disk is partitioned c: Non Dos 750mb - possibly from a windows 98 FAT 32 action?
and D: Dos partition of about 200 MB
There appears to be a primary Dos disk parition of about 81 MB

I want to get back to base ONE
But if I try to delete the extended partition, I get messages that the Volume label does not match even if I use the one the show.
I have tried to re-label it with NONE and also by using the label AF which appears in the disk information screen

What can I do to remove ALL the exising Partitions and re-install DOS and then Win98,
or alternatively can I get the 750 MB (Non Dos) to be recognised in DOS

Help please

Ron

09-09-2001, 05:22 PM
Hi Ron.Sounds like you are using FDISK to repartition and format.First use the option to delete any logical drives,then delete the extended partion and then the primary dos partion AND THEN delete any non-dos partions which sounds like the little partion at the start of the drive.It may even be a fat16 partition in which case you have to NOT select the option for fat32. set it up as fat 16 in total then go through delete everything and reset it all hope as fat32.at the start of the Fdisk delete the volume label IS the onscreen name but may include some odd spacing a . or some such.You cannot rename it Hope this helps A.

09-09-2001, 05:28 PM
Presuming that you dont care about loosing EVERYTHING on both drive's, this should work okay.
Boot the PC Via a Win98 Boot disk, and use the 'with CD-ROM support option.
The disk creates a 'virtual' drive after the harddrives, so in your case, probably E:
from there you can run FDISK.EXE (at the A:> prompt. type E:\fdisk)
It should prompt to enable large disk support, Enable it.
you then should be able to puddle around in there until you get one, fullsized, active partition.
when you've finished, you may need to do a format.
Once you have just the one drive, reboot again with cdrom support(via floppy), and use XCOPY.EXE to copy the WIN98 directory to C: (e.g. A:\>D:\xcopy E:\win98\ C:\cabs\)
When that's done, remove the floppy, browse to the new folder (A:\>C: |A:\>cd cabs)
and run the file 'setup'.

09-09-2001, 10:43 PM
Hello Ron,

A simple way of installing a harddrive is to go to the manufacturers website and download their free disk installation utility (they all have one) with this it will walk you through the whole process and not ask you any funny questions, it will even partition the drive for you if that is what you want.

Regards
Alan

10-09-2001, 12:02 AM
At the start of the win98 installation there should be a dialog that tells you that there are other operating systems installed on your computer, and asks if you would like to remove them.

If you hit yes then it should remove all the partitions.

I havn't tried it on non dos partitions myself but have been warned by other linux users about it.

10-09-2001, 08:42 AM
Hi All

Thanks for your suggestions
Will try them tonight

Ron