PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Folder Ownership

GR8Metal
12-09-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi Team,

I've got an Acronis True Image 2010 image from a friends computer (with Windows 7) that I copied onto my USB hard drive to allow me to test for recovery of files etc on my PC (also Windows 7). I have the same version of Acronis and have mounted the image successfully. When I access my friends user folder, it displays "you don't have permission to access this folder". I go to properties, security, advanced, owner tab (to allow me to take ownership of this folder) but it displays "you only have permission to view the current owner on...(friends name)."

Is there a way to allow me access to this folder? Do I have to change/create permissions on my friends PC before I take the image?

Cheers ;)

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Unzip the 1st file here

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/3171-registry-hacks-tested-work-take-ownership.html

Then right mouse on that folder select take ownership. See if that fixes it

linw
13-09-2010, 09:12 AM
Thanks, Speedy, looks a good set of tweaks.

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2010, 09:29 AM
No probs. I use the take ownership one myself. Does a good job (works in Vista and Win7). Altho it was from a different site

GR8Metal
13-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks Speedy. I'll give that a try and let you know the outcome.
Cheers.

CYaBro
13-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Is it the same as ShadowProtect in that you can mount an image in read-only mode or writable mode?
With ShadowProtect you can't modify security / ownership properties unless you mount the image in writable mode.

GR8Metal
13-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Well, I tried the tweak and restarted the PC. I right clicked on the users folder and chose "take ownership" but no go. It pops up with a command window for about a second. I can just make out the error message which says "permission denied or invalid access"....

CYaBro - I'll check the advanced options in Acronis and see what read/write security settings I have when I mount an image. Thanks.