PDA

View Full Version : External HDD Power Supply

Brucem
12-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a Western Digital Elements 640Gb HDD that is used for backups using Norton Ghost. A couple of days ago the program started to report missed backups, and I could not find the drive in My computer or in Device Manager. The power supply (12v DC) seems not to be working, at least I can't record any output on my multimeter. Does anyone know where can I buy replacement (preferably in Christchurch)?

Agent_24
12-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Jaycar or DSE will sell 12v power adaptors but they will be a ripoff

Try TradeMe

Make sure it can supply same or higher current as the old one.

Billy T
12-09-2010, 05:36 PM
Jaycar or DSE will sell 12v power adaptors but they will be a ripoff.

DSE prices can be a bit stiff, but Jaycar are not bad. They service enthusiasts and the Trade, so their products are generally good quality as well.

You won't get the quality or the 'no questions asked' replacements off TM, and by my reading of some of the negative feedback, power supplies in general as sold by the TM traders are not good quality at all. Crap comes to mind. :stare:

I wouldn't risk an HDD and its data on a no-name no guarantee el-cheapo plugpack. :2cents:

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Agent_24
12-09-2010, 06:49 PM
You can get second hand power adaptors of good brand from TradeMe if you look well enough and wait long enough, I have a few that were for Linksys routers, they work nicely.

I wouldn't recommend some generic el-cheapo thing though.

I don't know about power adaptors from Jaycar but some of their ICs have rather crazy prices. For example an ATmega8 is $30 - yet I got a pack of EIGHT from eBay for about $8 NZ.

MAX232 is $8.50 at Jaycar while only $1.56 at Farnell..

Brucem
14-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the comments, I bought a generic one yesterday from Global PC @ $29. the alternatives seemed to be to get someone to order one in two weeks delay stated, or buy on line from Western Digital ex US ($US14.99 presumably plus freight, and some indeterminate time)

The Error Guy
14-09-2010, 10:53 AM
The original PSU's for the WD hdd's were a bit dicky, I emailed their support crew with an email and they send me one free, didn't even ask for warranty info.

Could try your luck there!