PDA

View Full Version : Starts then Stops

phq
11-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Hi,
I was installing windows xp,
and half way through it stopped because the cd was scratched, so I took it out, cleaned it a little bit, put it back in and it still didn't work so I clicked quit.
So the computer restarted, then windows installation thing and got a blue screen of death or what ever they call it.
So it turned the pc off and I tried it later. Everything was ok, but it said that there was no hard drive.
So I took the hard drive out and connected it (while it was out) and restarted it so I can listen to it to see if it is working, and when I turn my pc on, it starts spinning then it stops. What should I do now?

Cato
11-09-2010, 10:53 AM
Can you see the HDD in the BIOS?

phq
11-09-2010, 10:54 AM
Can you see the HDD in the BIOS?
Nope. :dogeye:

Cato
11-09-2010, 11:00 AM
That's very strange?

Are you sure you connected the SATA/IDE cable properly?

phq
11-09-2010, 11:04 AM
That's very strange?

Are you sure you connected the SATA/IDE cable properly?

Yes , it is , I'm freaking out.

Cato
11-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Try the hard drive on another system if you can.

Maybe try resetting COMS?

Also, maybe try a different sata cable or a different SATA controller if your board has a second one.

Speedy Gonzales
11-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Is the hdd SATA 1, or 2?? (If its SATA). It sounds like (if it cant detect the hdd in the BIOS it is), and the mobo only supports SATA 1. You need / have to jumper it to SATA 1 / 150 on the back of the hdd.

And the only reason it cant find the hdd in the install, it needs SATA drivers (If AHCI is enabled in the BIOS). If you didnt slipstream the SATA drivers

wainuitech
11-09-2010, 11:17 AM
when I turn my pc on, it starts spinning then it stopsIf its starts to spin up and then stops spinning, that usually means theres a power related problem.

Disconnect the SATA / IDE cable, only have the power plug attached, hit the power button, does the HDD do the same thing ? You can feel if the drives spinning.

If so turn it off and try another Power Plug - try again, if it still doesn't keep going, then the Power supply is either failing, OR the HDD has/Is Failing.

One way to test which one, is to attached the HDD to another PC and see if it does the same, if it does, HDD's the problem.

phq
11-09-2010, 01:07 PM
If its starts to spin up and then stops spinning, that usually means theres a power related problem.

Disconnect the SATA / IDE cable, only have the power plug attached, hit the power button, does the HDD do the same thing ? You can feel if the drives spinning.

If so turn it off and try another Power Plug - try again, if it still doesn't keep going, then the Power supply is either failing, OR the HDD has/Is Failing.

One way to test which one, is to attached the HDD to another PC and see if it does the same, if it does, HDD's the problem.

It was spinning for a while but it stopped and it was't in the bios.

And it keeps making a little crack sound.

wainuitech
11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Sounds (no pun intended) like its a power related problem.

"Cracking sound" --- Do you mean like an electrical sound, then there is a short, or clicking sound , like tick tick tick tick, either one - not good.

To repeat from previous post , If it stops spinning its losing power , which also means it wont show in the BIOS, because the Motherboard cant detect it if its not working - you need to test it out as I previously suggested to see if its the Power Supply in the PC or the Actual HDD.

Do you have another HDD to attach to the PC to see if that does the same ?

HDD's can and do fail at any time with no warning, no matter how old they are.

I've had new Drives fail while building PC's for customers (thankfully very rare) , only two weeks ago a new drive failed after three days, due to a power surge at the persons house. Other drives are years old and no problems.

Agent_24
11-09-2010, 01:26 PM
Crack noise? That doesn't sound good...

phq
12-09-2010, 03:03 AM
Sounds (no pun intended) like its a power related problem.

"Cracking sound" --- Do you mean like an electrical sound, then there is a short, or clicking sound , like tick tick tick tick, either one - not good.

To repeat from previous post , If it stops spinning its losing power , which also means it wont show in the BIOS, because the Motherboard cant detect it if its not working - you need to test it out as I previously suggested to see if its the Power Supply in the PC or the Actual HDD.

Do you have another HDD to attach to the PC to see if that does the same ?

HDD's can and do fail at any time with no warning, no matter how old they are.

I've had new Drives fail while building PC's for customers (thankfully very rare) , only two weeks ago a new drive failed after three days, due to a power surge at the persons house. Other drives are years old and no problems.

It makes a ticking noise.
I have tried installing windows xp again, but when it loaded I got the blue screen of death.

Oh and sometimes I get a 3rd master hard disk error.

Agent_24
12-09-2010, 03:30 AM
If it didn't make that ticking noise before... and now it won't detect.. and you get an error from POST...

Either the drive has failed or there is something seriously wrong with your motherboard or PSU. Or perhaps the drive cable.

But it's probably the drive itself...

You can test all 3 by connecting the drive to another PC like Wainuitech said, if it still ticks abnormally and doesn't detect then the drive is faulty.

phq
12-09-2010, 03:43 AM
I have tried a different sata slot, and I get the same problem, it says SATA6 Hard Disk Error.

If it didn't make that ticking noise before... and now it won't detect.. and you get an error from POST...

Either the drive has failed or there is something seriously wrong with your motherboard or PSU. Or perhaps the drive cable.

But it's probably the drive itself...

You can test all 3 by connecting the drive to another PC like Wainuitech said, if it still ticks abnormally and doesn't detect then the drive is faulty.

I will try it on my older computer.

phq
13-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Ok,
I have plugged it in into my old PC, and when I go to the BIOS it says:

1st Drive: [L-DT-STDVDRRW GSA]
2nd Drive: [None]
8th Drive: [None]

When I go to the 6th Drive it kind of freezes for 2 seconds.

and it says
Device: None

But yesterday when I went on it it said:

Devide: Hard Drive
Size: 0kb
SATA Speed: 1.5Gb/s

and some more things, I can't remember what were they.

wainuitech
13-09-2010, 08:58 AM
1st Drive is obviously the Optical drive.

Going by what you have posted so far - its looking a lot like the Hard Drive has failed.

phq
13-09-2010, 09:17 AM
1st Drive is obviously the Optical drive.

Going by what you have posted so far - its looking a lot like the Hard Drive has failed.

Yes it has,
How can I run a memory check?

Because when I get the blue screen of death it says run a memory check, and check for faulty or mismatched memory?

wainuitech
13-09-2010, 09:38 AM
From the download page, download memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) or here latest version (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso)- get the ISO for windows - unzip the ISO file, and using ISO burning software (not normal file burning), burn it to a blank CD, boot from that CD.

phq
13-09-2010, 09:53 AM
From the download page, download memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) or here latest version (http://www.memtest.org/#downiso)- get the ISO for windows - unzip the ISO file, and using ISO burning software (not normal file burning), burn it to a blank CD, boot from that CD.

Ok, thank you.

phq
13-09-2010, 11:33 AM
My laptop doesn't write cds.
What should I do?

SP8's
13-09-2010, 11:45 AM
phq .... what's your location ??

rumpty
13-09-2010, 12:24 PM
I had a very similar problem with a newish SATA drive. Turned out the power cable to the drive had a faulty connector - threw the cable out.

kahawai chaser
13-09-2010, 12:45 PM
My laptop doesn't write cds.
What should I do?

One way, might be to use a program to boot from a iso image on your PC. Some forums discuss this, e.g. tech spot. (http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic58251.html). Or VirtualBox as descibed here. (http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/08/10/how-to-test-and-boot-an-iso-image-without-burning-to-cd-or-dvd/)

Note - Can be a bit involved and daunting for some, but maybe worth a read. Please note just saying it could be possible, and not to attempt it, if you don't feel confident.

I use daemon tools and ISO CD's on a net book (to replicate a CD drive - like many others), but have not booted from ISO's. Can also boot ISO's from USB (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-multiboot-usb/) with a program. Extreme Overclocking also discusses USB booting memtest (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=317312) with ideas (that seem to work), and links to relevant software.

13-09-2010, 02:56 PM
It makes a ticking noise.

run as fast as poss. :eek:

Agent_24
13-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Most BSOD errors (if one of the causes can be a memory problem) will advise that you try running a memory checker.

This does not mean that faulty memory is actually the problem. It's just telling you that is one of the things you should check.

Your hard drive definitely has something wrong with it, the BSOD you had while installing Windows will most likely have been caused by the drive failing during installation.

phq
14-09-2010, 05:00 AM
I need a program to check my hdd ? I have found one it is called HDD Regenerator but when I try it it says Bad command or file name. For the other program I found an usb installer ;).

And I live in uk.

phq
14-09-2010, 07:35 AM
Meh,
It just died/broke it wont spin or do anything. I give up. I hope it is still in warranty.

Can you please close the topic?

Agent_24
14-09-2010, 12:30 PM
They automatically close after 3 months or something anyway.

zqwerty
11-10-2010, 11:53 PM
Reported

Snorkbox
12-10-2010, 12:20 AM
They automatically close after 3 months or something anyway.

Aparrently not.