PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with copying

The Error Guy
10-09-2010, 10:48 PM
A while back I made a theme for Sony Ericsson A2 based phone. after coincidentally searching the name of the theme I found it referenced on a Persian site novindl.com (http://www.novindl.com/1388/11/%D8%AF%D8%A7%D9%86%D9%84%D9%88%D8%AF-%D8%AA%D9%85-%D9%81%D9%88%D9%82-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B9%D8%A7%D8%AF%D9%87-%D8%B2%DB%8C%D8%A8%D8%A7-%D9%88-%D8%AC%D8%AF%DB%8C%D8%AF-%D8%B3%D9%88%D9%86%DB%8C-%D8%A7%D8%B1/#more-4655)

It is quite blatant that they have ripped my theme after downloading it from my dA profile here, http://auzeras.deviantart.com/art/ECLiPSE-151358296?q=&qo=

I am mildly frustrated that they have taken it without asking/or awknowledging acknowledging me but I guess thats life.

I have tried contacting the website several months ago but got no reply (both in English and Persian) can anyone recommend a way from me to contact the websites owners/moderators to ask for it to be removed or re-directed to my site or will I have to live with it?:dogeye:

Renmoo
10-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Slashdot has an article addressing the issue of illegally distributing videos on the Internet yesterday.

1) Contact the owner regarding the issue (95% of the recipient comply with the orders)
2) Hire a cyber hitman to take down the website
3) Done.

The Error Guy
10-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Tried 1, I am No.2 so that just leaves the Predator missile to the web host...

xD I won't go as far as the him man but I might try contact again.

kahawai chaser
10-09-2010, 11:17 PM
Yeah - I have had loads of my blog/site content and images copied or reworded on numerous foreign sites. Generally by auto feed scrapers. But Google eventually finds those sites (because of duplication) and buries them or possibly de-index them in the search results. However some have found it as a bit of a blessing, as it can increase visitors to your site, though short term.

Maybe do a google image search and I think you can report images to google. Were any "alt tags" added to your image in the code (depends if url/html were used when you uploaded the image). If so that may speed up finding duplicate images by Google.

Actually just checked the source code on that foreign site, and no alt tags were present. Though their are ways to prevent image copying, but tech savvy people can circumvent that.

The Error Guy
11-09-2010, 07:40 AM
I didn't tag my images on upload but dA may have done it. (dA is deviant art)

Reporting, as far as I know is for offensive images not for me complaining about copyright infringements

Paul Ramon
11-09-2010, 08:05 AM
A while back I made a theme for Sony Ericsson A2 based phone. after coincidentally searching the name of the theme I found it referenced on a Persian site novindl.com
It is quite blatant that they have ripped my theme after downloading it from my dA profile here, http://auzeras.deviantart.com/art/ECLiPSE-151358296?q=&qo=

I am mildly frustrated that they have taken it without asking/or awknowledging acknowledging me but I guess thats life.

I have tried contacting the website several months ago but got no reply (both in English and Persian) can anyone recommend a way from me to contact the websites owners/moderators to ask for it to be removed or re-directed to my site or will I have to live with it?:dogeye:

Re contact them and tell them you're going to burn the Koran unless they acknowlege & pay you or remove the art. Theiving buggers!!!

The Error Guy
11-09-2010, 11:59 AM
I doubt burning th Quran will help ;p ill try talking this evening

kahawai chaser
11-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Where abouts did you contact them from? Try using this WHOIS site (http://dwhois.net/#void) - replace domain with novindl. Then you should see contact info - try them.

hueybot3000
11-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Nice theme, im using it now. Thanks

Renmoo
11-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Nice theme, im using it now. Thanks
And then you will sell it on your website

:stare:

The Error Guy
11-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Nah, I don't sell my stuff. its easy enough to make themes your self and free stuff is always better xD even if its not supposed to be free. (except boy. that was worth buying. I nearly bought it 2x it was that good)

Btw, thanks for the support on theme huey, as long as you did not scab it off the bloody Persians.

The Error Guy
13-09-2010, 10:42 AM
ach, the sad sacks are using privacy protect (privacyprotect.org)

hueybot3000
13-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Na got it from your site lol Good luck getting somewhere with it though

kahawai chaser
14-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Well good luck ...

You could take the creative commons approach if you want, if you don't mind having your image shared. Many upload images say to Flickr, and then I think can set up attribution for the image. There are different types of attributions - best explained here at this guide for attributing Flickr images. (http://www.skelliewag.org/a-complete-guide-to-finding-and-using-incredible-flickr-images-162.htm)

The Error Guy
14-09-2010, 04:35 PM
It has a creative commons license of it, non-commercial no deritive derivative works under the open GNU 3