PDA

View Full Version : Toady - We Build A New Chicken Coop

SurferJoe46
09-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Well - the preliminary frames for it anyway.

I've got 30, day-old chicks ordered to arrive Sept 23rd, and I've got to get this coop done.

For the first few weeks they will be in the spare bedroom, as they will have to have constant monitoring and heat/food/water.

Here's the album of some pixs I had my grand daughter take today. On it you'll see me and my stepson, my wife and g-daughter.

The other guy whose sitting down is just the property caretaker, and he has the mental capacity of a 6-year old, so we only have him help lift and 'go-for' things.

ALBUM LINK (PICASA) (http://picasaweb.google.com/vreeland.joe/ChickenCoop?feat=directlink)

Here's one just of me for recognition for youse guys:: http://lh6.ggpht.com/_cRmowvPKcq4/TIga5VXUxFI/AAAAAAAAE0s/jZ8W4cPVonE/s640/100_0089.JPG.

The weather's starting to change for Fall, although that doesn't happen here until Sept 22nd. We will more than likely get a lot of snow this year (sure!) and I've got to insulate and heat this coop for them until at least April.

SoniKalien
09-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Nice to see you using safety gear :p

SurferJoe46
09-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Nice to see you using safety gear :p

Always!

SP8's
09-09-2010, 11:40 AM
U gotta license for that there saw Joe ???

SurferJoe46
09-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Got a learner's Permit - or is that my marriage license? I forget!

Actually, since our saws run on 117 VAC, we don't need permits as they are safe enough for a cave man to use.

SurferJoe46
09-09-2010, 11:53 AM
I ordered 10 each of Jersey Giants, 10-Sex-Links or Araucanas, and 10 Black Australorps.

These will be HERD #1, and I usually run three herds for even egg laying schedules and meat.

SP8's
09-09-2010, 11:59 AM
MMmmm /BQ'd Chicken :drool .... don't forget to send me an invite.

Trev
09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
Strange time of the year to get chickens. We use to get Road Island Reds.
:)

DeSade
09-09-2010, 12:16 PM
I ordered 10 each of Jersey Giants, 10-Sex-Links or Araucanas, and 10 Black Australorps.

These will be HERD #1, and I usually run three herds for even egg laying schedules and meat.

Flock

jareemon
09-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I helped a mate build a chicken coop the other day, 4m x 4m. When we finished, his wife said "oh... can you make it 4m by 6m?"

He said ok.
http://tinyurl.com/24yfsuz

SurferJoe46
09-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Will some kindly mod correct my spelling of the title here to what it's supposed to be.

TYIA.

I helped a mate build a chicken coop the other day, 4m x 4m. When we finished, his wife said "oh... can you make it 4m by 6m?"

He said ok.
http://tinyurl.com/24yfsuz

I've decided to make the coop large enough to sleep in myself if it should become necessary.

prefect
09-09-2010, 03:42 PM
The main laying chicken in NZ is the Brown Shaver they are freaks of nature laying machines.
They are spectaculary inactive like they wont bother trying to fly over anything

SurferJoe46
09-09-2010, 04:12 PM
I just checked them out and they look nice.

The Jersey Giants dress out at 9-10.2 lbs and make a full meal for a family of 10 or so. They are also the most prolific egg producers here in the US with 362 eggs in one year as a record.

That's in their sophomore year - as the freshman year is a little less production-wise.

I need three herds (I know, I KNOW!) for overlapped egg production here. We had an emu that laid in the snow - so they set their egg-cycles on their birth (hatch) date.

I typically feed 28-35% protein for the first year and then cut them back to 28% for the rest of their lives.

Trev
09-09-2010, 04:58 PM
As I said before the Rhode Island Red (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island_Red) is a good chicken to have for its eggs and meat. The Stoats new that as will and we lost many at night when they found a hole in the fowl house to get in.

ubergeek85
09-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Love the shirt!

gary67
09-09-2010, 07:22 PM
We have two very feisty Black bantams, one of which is currently sitting on eggs we got from the sister in laws place as they have a rooster which we can't have in town. Yes as Prefect said shavers are egg laying machines unfortunately if you free range them like we do they wreck your garden whereas the Banty's we have do not

SurferJoe46
10-09-2010, 04:31 AM
As I said before the Rhode Island Red (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhode_Island_Red) is a good chicken to have for its eggs and meat. The Stoats new that as will and we lost many at night when they found a hole in the fowl house to get in.
I had Reds, at least my wife before I married her did - and they were just nasty-mean and would spur you if you dropped your guard. They made great Chicken Cacciatore.

CHICKEN CACCIATORE

1 3-4 lb. fryer, cut up
1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp. garlic and onion powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
6 large cloves garlic, minced
1 or 2 large onions, sliced
1 ea. red and green bell peppers, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups canned tomatoes
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/3-1/2 cup dry sherry or white wine
8 to 12 oz. sliced mushrooms
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced

Chicken should be cut in serving size pieces. Put 1/2 cup flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a large plastic or clean brown paper bag.

Add 2 or 3 pieces chicken at a time and shake to coat well with flour.

Heat olive oil; brown chicken on all sides. Add remaining ingredients except mushrooms and wine.

Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until chicken is tender.

Add mushrooms and wine; simmer, uncovered, for an additional 10 minutes.

Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Note: If you prefer a spicier sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, and cayenne can be added as desired.

Serve over wide egg noodles or other pasta.

Love the shirt!

Thanks - got it from a web site I haunt.

We have two very feisty Black bantams, one of which is currently sitting on eggs we got from the sister in laws place as they have a rooster which we can't have in town. Yes as Prefect said shavers are egg laying machines unfortunately if you free range them like we do they wreck your garden whereas the Banty's we have do not

I had a few of these and a few Silkies (http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/bantam_white_silkies.html) too for egg-siting for my ducks.

The ducks were too stupid to sit on their own eggs and if you pip ducks under a Silkie, be prepared to finish the piping by hand as the Silkie won't help if they don't smell like a chicken. They'll just push them outta the nest to let them die.

You oughta see how crazy the Silkie gets when the ducklings get into the water! Just don't let them get into water that is more than an inch deep until the oil their own feathers though - they sink! If you can get the duck-mom to actually sit and let them pip, they get oiled by their mom.

John H
10-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Congratulations SJ - everyone should have a few chooks around the place. By contrast with you, we have two Brown Shavers - yes, two, because the two of us couldn't deal with any more eggs than they produce. Got them as pullets, and since they started laying we have had two eggs per day every day except once when we only got one.

As Gary said, Brown Shavers are egg machines, and unbelievably destructive in the garden. I have built a trellis fence to shut off the back garden from the front, so their destruction is restricted. They will move anything to get at the soil underneath. A book I read said you have to encourage young chooks to scratch - hah! I spit on that book.

They produce prodigious quantities of guano as well - big bombs left all around the back section that need cleaning up regularly.

Unfortunately the design of my coop is crook. The chooks sleep in the nesting boxes at night, despite many nights of me trying to persuade them to roost on the perch (I have given up). Maybe it is the cold, but I suspect it is because the perch is slightly lower than the nesting boxes - check that out in your design SJ.

SurferJoe46
10-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Yeah - the roost has to be higher than any other place where they can get comfortable.

The Araucanas are tree-dwellers and if they get out, that's where they go for the night.

I like the eggs they give - all kindsa colors and extra firm shells too.

In feces mode - ever have any peacocks?

Their droppings are liquid asphalt! Those stupid birds will peck the chrome off your car bumpers trying to kill the other bird they see.

And they scream all night long. They aren't good to eat either - been there.

John H
10-09-2010, 10:55 AM
(snip)Those stupid [peacocks] will peck the chrome off your car bumpers trying to kill the other bird they see. (snip)

The Australians (who live on West Island) have a bird called the Murray Magpie that does that - they get confused by their image in car hub caps (probably called 'the trunks' in America) - and try to kill the other bird. I always thought their lack of brain, lack of perception, and ego-centric behaviour means they should be the national bird of Australia.

John H
10-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Here is a NZ website with the common breeds on it. http://www.chickensbydesign.co.nz/breeds.php

SurferJoe46
10-09-2010, 11:09 AM
The Australians (who live on West Island) have a bird called the Murray Magpie that does that - they get confused by their image in car hub caps (probably called 'the trunks' in America) - and try to kill the other bird. I always thought their lack of brain, lack of perception, and ego-centric behaviour means they should be the national bird of Australia.

Every time a peacock blinks it's eyes, it's a new day.

Keep it up and there'll be no Cherry KoolAid for you in your C.A.R.E package this year.

John H
10-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Every time a peacock blinks it's eyes, it's a new day.

Just like Australians really.