PDA

View Full Version : vodafone broadband - good, bad or indifferent ?

globe
08-09-2010, 08:23 PM
looking at getting broadband with vodafone. The one that plugs into the wall not the mobile version.

Any users out there, current or past ? Wondering if there is any feedback regarding it and the performance/service etc one could expect.

I'm in Auckland

Thanks

gary67
08-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Past user was OK nothing special but I liked it, support wasn't so great but then I only needed it when we moved, will probably go back once our free Xnet runs out although I am liking the nDSL so might switch to Orcon instead who knows but Voda is definitely better than Xnet and well it's not Telecom

chiefnz
08-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Current VF customer... pretty happy, well much happier since been moved from the Red Network to a roadside cabinet connection.

Only thing I can say is that if you're in the Red zone make sure you're within 2km of the exchange other wise your speed will be pretty bad.

I went from 2Mb on the red network to 13Mb on the wholesale network.

Cheers,

Deimos
09-09-2010, 12:26 AM
VF support is not great, I can recommend Orcon though, VF might be more cost effective if you are a low user though.

globe
09-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Current VF customer... pretty happy, well much happier since been moved from the Red Network to a roadside cabinet connection.

Only thing I can say is that if you're in the Red zone make sure you're within 2km of the exchange other wise your speed will be pretty bad.

I went from 2Mb on the red network to 13Mb on the wholesale network.

Cheers,

Red zone ? Sorry I am not sure what this is

mikebartnz
09-09-2010, 11:16 AM
Red zone ? Sorry I am not sure what this is
It is where they use their own network and not Telecoms.

Paul.Cov
09-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Their email system is a bit poxy. It's throwing a spaz again today, being very difficult regarding sending emails... naturally this happens on the one day I'm asked to send a 14MB pdf file.

09-09-2010, 03:19 PM
... send a 14MB pdf file.

theres your problem. :thumbs:

Mcpisik
28-09-2010, 08:32 PM
Wondering the same thing about vf broadband.
Have read a lot of posts where connecting to oz servers especially has been dial up speed and even trademe just not loading...
Perhaps just a temporary problem.
Any updated opinions or frustrations?

davidmmac
28-09-2010, 09:06 PM
I'm on VF broadband and it's been good. First thing to note is that it's great value for money: $100 for a phone line + 30GB broadband + free MySky is brilliant.

In terms of performance I've found it OK. I can max out my line on torrents but for some reason it doesn't for web downloads or FTP (might just be a problem with my setup though). Can't comment on performance to Aus sorry but in terms of web browsing it's quite good at all times of the day - both for domestic and international.

Customer service is average, you have to wait on the phone for a while and I've had trouble understanding their accents at times but once you get around that I've found they're helpfull enough.

We got a modem provided which initially was rubbish but it seems to be working fine now.

Only thing I'd complain about is the data cap, we're now regularly nudging 30GB, and although you can double it to 60GB it costs an extra $30.

Mcpisik
29-09-2010, 05:45 AM
I'm on VF broadband and it's been good. First thing to note is that it's great value for money: $100 for a phone line + 30GB broadband + free MySky is brilliant....
Excellent review thanks. That helped a lot.
Think I'll make the switch shortly.

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 08:09 AM
Yeah their email service blows, it's probably got faults more time than it's OK. If you're happy to use something such as Gmail, then by all means go for it :)

Otherwise, I'm a fan of Orcon / Telecom. Check out www.telecomwholesale.co.nz/maps and see when you're getting ADSL2+ from Telecom, and compare it with Vodafones.

Mcpisik
29-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Yeah their email service blows, it's probably got faults more time than it's OK. ...
Cool. I use gmail so thats ok. Thanks for heads up.
We currently have ADSL2 with telecom and it is good.
Do Vodafone share the same? (I'm in Queenstown)

Chilling_Silence
29-09-2010, 09:13 AM
It depends. If they don't have their own gear in the exchange (Which I believe is just their RED network), then yeah, they will be reselling Telecom.