PDA

View Full Version : File access canon Camera photos

08-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Hi there. Ive a Canon Powershot S3IS
I want to be able to directly access the photos WITHOUT being forced to use Canons ZoomBrowser Software or Windows "Scanners and Cameras" : this wont allow cut & paste

ie , I want direct file access to the SD CARD in the camera , so I can cut & paste directly were I want.
My old Camera's allowed this (as does my MP3 player & batphone), Canon :NO

Any suggestions ??
I tried a plugin for Total Commander, but that didnt work.

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2010, 02:02 PM
Get a card reader

pctek
08-09-2010, 02:40 PM
I want to be able to directly access the photos WITHOUT being forced to use Canons ZoomBrowser Software or Windows "Scanners and Cameras" : this wont allow cut & paste

How did you try it? I never install software for cameras. Just plug them in via USB and Windows Explorer treats it as any other USB drive.

Did you do that?

Or as Speedy says, use a card reader and plug the memory card in instead.

psycik
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
We have two canons at home and two laptops. My laptop has an SD card reader which I just shove the card in. My wifes does not, but she just uses the cable to the cameras and the scanner and camera wizard under XP - both are accessible.

08-09-2010, 03:46 PM
How did you try it? I never install software for cameras. Just plug them in via USB and Windows Explorer treats it as any other USB drive.

Did you do that?

Or as Speedy says, use a card reader and plug the memory card in instead.

I DONT want to use the Win Camera wizard - this does work but wont allow cut & paste to folders of my choice (thanks for the suggestions thou)

**only with some camera's, incl mine....
Basic issue seems is Windows XP wont recognize the camera memory as a removable disk drive (as per most cameras, mp3 players etc etc etc)

I never install camera software either. Never had to before.
I cant get direct access to the SD card.
The sony camera wont allow direct access to the SDcard, you have to use their software or MS photo import wizard etc.
This makes it a pain if I want to cut & paste to different dir's (basically cant)

Using a card reader is (slightly) inconvenient, it just erks me no end that I cant get direct access.Still Looking for another 'fix'

pctek
08-09-2010, 04:03 PM
I DONT want to use the Win Camera wizard - this does work but wont allow cut & paste to folders of my choice (thanks for the suggestions thou)

'

Win camera wizard?? WTF? You just plug the thing in and go copy and paste from WinExplorer.

08-09-2010, 04:54 PM
Win camera wizard?? WTF? You just plug the thing in and go copy and paste from WinExplorer.

Thats whats so frustrating
Canon have made the SD card only accessible through their software or the MS camera wizard . The camera wizard (or camera file browser) will let me copy & paste (NOT cut & paste), Or use the wizard to MOVE photos to 'my pictures'

I want cut & paste (to folders of my choice)
ince it the SDcard is recognised as a camera(only) I dont get the 'normal' file access.

With most camera yes, with some canon cameras NOT possible
My other camera allowed direct file access to the SD Card, not this one.

Erayd
08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Most Canon cameras use PTP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol), they don't expose the card as a USB mass storage device. As a result, you're restricted to either using Explorer's limited MTP interface, or using some other software that is capable of speaking to PTP devices (e.g. Picasa).

If you want to access the card directly as a standard drive, you'll need to use a dedicated card reader - you can't access it that way via the camera.

kahawai chaser
08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Might be a solution at this canon blog (http://blog.helgeklein.com/2009/08/canon-eos-350d-and-windows-7-x64-where.html), I think for 64 bit W7; Also here (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=13549). It's to do with usb mode connection.

08-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Most Canon cameras use PTP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol), they don't expose the card as a USB mass storage device. As a result, you're restricted to either using Explorer's limited MTP interface, or using some other software that is capable of speaking to PTP devices (e.g. Picasa).

If you want to access the card directly as a standard drive, you'll need to use a dedicated card reader - you can't access it that way via the camera.

I guess I'll have to find another program to do the transfers , Explorer's MTP interface is just too much of a blunt tool.
I have found a couple I can try & found another plugin for Total Commander(file manager) to try.

I suppose a card reader will be the bestr oiptionm

Cheers

Nomad
08-09-2010, 08:26 PM

ie , I want direct file access to the SD CARD in the camera , so I can cut & paste directly were I want.
My old Camera's allowed this (as does my MP3 player & batphone), Canon :NO

Any suggestions ??
I tried a plugin for Total Commander, but that didnt work.

We have a Canon point and shoot and I use various scanners and Nikon dSLRs and film SLRs ..

The Canon point and shoot does not work in anyway whatsoever if you don't want to use the Canon software. You simply just cannot use Windows Explorer unless you pull the memory card out and use a USB or Firewire memory card reader or ones that are built into the PC or laptop (ATA).

If the USB reader bothers you, you can consider buying a new camera that functions in the way you want.

The advantage of readers is that there is less wear and tear on the camera. Also, if you the camera suddenly runs out of battery while you are downloading, the pictures on the card may corrupt.

Ofthesea
08-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I've got a Canon A710 and I can just do what PCtek is trying to tell you, though the Canon software does appear first by default. Both systems work for me, have you actually tried with explorer once the camera is connected?

Renmoo
08-09-2010, 11:27 PM
[edit: quoted spam removed]
Sir.

8) No commercial posting, spamming, or otherwise using the forum to promote products and services purely for your own gain. This doesn't stop you recommending products and services to other users, nor does it stop a vendor discussing their products in relation to a post. But users who post purely to promote their business/website may find their threads deleted along with their user ID.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=81855

Nomad
09-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Sir.

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=81855

He was banned before right? He said something like he says so that it was not commercial stuff ... :rolleyes:

Nomad
09-09-2010, 12:13 AM
I've got a Canon A710 and I can just do what PCtek is trying to tell you, though the Canon software does appear first by default. Both systems work for me, have you actually tried with explorer once the camera is connected?

With my A510 I know that in Windows Explorer some cams incl mine, nothing shows up under My Computer. There is no removable drive.

09-09-2010, 11:09 AM
gaarrh
I gave away my (unused) card readers a while back, guess I'll have to fork out
$20 :rolleyes:

This sort of thing bugs me, I would have bought the other brand if I had known. Not a huge issue, just something that bugs me a bit (I do know of someone who did sell his canon because of this)
Was one of the reasons I sold the ipod, no direct file access.
:badpc: :badpc:

pctek
09-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Canon have made the SD card only accessible through their software or the MS camera wizard . The camera wizard (or camera file browser) will let me copy & paste (NOT cut & paste), .

Really. How evil and customer unfriendly of them.
Sell it immediately.:angry

Just get a card reader - easiest way around it.

Ofthesea
09-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Here I am back again. A brief amount of Google suggested that accessing your camera card via explorer is more about tweaking the registry .thm entry than what model of camera. I have installed the Canon software so possibly that made the changes for me. So you could try installing but not using the Canon software ie try explorer after the install or follow up with someone intelligent on modifying your registry