PDA

View Full Version : win7x64 - applications not closing properly causing duplicate processes

mOOseCaNNoN
08-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Hi all,
I'm running windows 7 ultimate 64-bit. I'm having a constant problem when opening and closing programs. Say if I watch a move with windows media player, when I've finished watching I close media player but the wmplayer.exe is still running in the processes. Usually I can watch something else by opening windows media player again, but sometimes it wont open. When a particular program doesn't open I check the task manager to find multiple processes running, sometimes up to 7 or 8 instances of the same process. Even after I've closed the program and it appears not to be running in the task bar, it is still running duplicate processes in task manager and I have to end them all before I can successfully open the program. This happens mostly with windows media player, vlc, steam, winamp, cooledit, utorrent, come to think of it it actually happens to most of my programs every day.

here's a pic of my task manager
Attached file: processes1283901963.jpg (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/processes1283901963.jpg) (315 KB)

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening? I've tried googling but can't find any hits, maybe I'm using the wrong key words.

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2010, 12:55 PM
Wouldnt be surprised if Bitdefender is causing it

Snorkbox
08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if uTorrent had something to do with it. :)

mOOseCaNNoN
08-09-2010, 01:04 PM
hmmm, good point. Might have to uninstall bit-defender and install avast or something and see if it goes away, I'll hold off on this for now in-case anyone else has some ideas

mOOseCaNNoN
08-09-2010, 01:07 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if uTorrent had something to do with it. :)

I don't think so, I've been using utorrent for yonks before this problem occurred.

fyi i have a legitimate win7 and bit-defender :P
you CAN use utorrent to download legal software you know :)

Snorkbox
08-09-2010, 01:26 PM
I don't think so, I've been using utorrent for yonks before this problem occurred.

fyi i have a legitimate win7 and bit-defender :P
you CAN use utorrent to download legal software you know :)

I am aware of that and neither did I accuse you of pirating.

mOOseCaNNoN
08-09-2010, 01:28 PM
sorry, I thought you were being cheeky :)

Deimos
08-09-2010, 02:04 PM
My windows media player doesn't close either, for me the cause is Windows slideshow + Logitech G15 keyboard, its more like a "feature", if I disable slideshow media player will close properly.

I actually prefer it staying open because if I close WMP in the middle of a show, I can open it back up and resume from where it left off which is very cool.

And the only other program I have a problem with not closing is IE8, every now and then an IE process will hang when I close it, causing more to hang when I close them, but it has to get up to around 10 processes before I notice any slow down, and it hasn't happened lately (maybe MS patched it?)

SolMiester
08-09-2010, 02:07 PM
My windows media player doesn't close either, for me the cause is Windows slideshow + Logitech G15 keyboard, its more like a "feature", if I disable slideshow media player will close properly.

I actually prefer it staying open because if I close WMP in the middle of a show, I can open it back up and resume from where it left off which is very cool.

And the only other program I have a problem with not closing is IE8, every now and then an IE process will hang when I close it, causing more to hang when I close them, but it has to get up to around 10 processes before I notice any slow down, and it hasn't happened lately (maybe MS patched it?)

eeek, you use IE8?

Deimos
08-09-2010, 02:47 PM
eeek, you use IE8?

Yeah I use FF (on OSX) at work and IE8 at home, I prefer it over FF, haven't tried Chrome yet.

mOOseCaNNoN
09-10-2010, 07:22 PM
it was bit defender... sigh