PDA

View Full Version : Ebook Readers

Cato
08-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Are there any ebooks out there that have the ability of taking notes?
IE, being able to write on then, add comments etc and basically be able to scribble stuff on them.

Any ideas where I could find this?

Also, what kind of battery life would I be looking at?

Spanks.

Agent_24
08-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Probably a tablet PC?

PaulD
08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Some of the newer ones like the Sonys have touch screens that allow note taking. Whether the underlying software and processor can keep up is another thing.

Do some searching around in here http://www.mobileread.com/forums/

Cato
08-09-2010, 02:46 PM
^Agent Orange, This is really annoying, we have so much technology, but so much BS with it. Everything is so expensive, Samsung Galaxy is worth 2k? Yeah right.

The Sony PRS-650 is great, but it's gonna be expensive as hell. Will probably be 1k when someone imports it here... Maybe I should just forget it all and buy a touchscreen netbooks, way better value for money. And you can't export notes if the files are DRM.
Lack of a backlight kinda sucks too. But a great battery life.

Backlight, text to speech with a Pierce Borsnan or maybe Simon Vance voice and OCR for my scribbles and I'd be happy. Is that so hard?

Agent_24
08-09-2010, 02:56 PM
As soon as someone designs faster hardware then some idiot will write inefficient software to make it look slow.

Cato
08-09-2010, 03:08 PM
As soon as someone designs faster hardware then some idiot will write inefficient software to make it look slow.

I blame everything on the Java generation.

Everything is so damn bloated, everything seems to rely more and more on Java and .Net these days.

Years ago, I read a book on C# with DirectX. In the introduction, it said in it's own defence: it does not matter that JIT Compilers slow software down and bloat it, because the performance will be sorted as new hardware is released.

How wrong they were, every new incarnation I see these days is slower and slower. I shouldn't need a quadcore to do basic tasks, but that's where we are headed, such a shame.

Sherman
08-09-2010, 04:31 PM
@Cato: Actually, the new Sony Readers (PRS-650, PRS-350) will be sold in New Zealand by Sony.

From the press release (http://www.sony.co.nz/pressrelease/asset/413432/section/productpressreleases):

The Sony Reader range will be available for pre-order at sony.co.nz and in Sony Style stores from tomorrow (3 September 2010), and arrive in store at Sony Style and selected retailers from October 2010 for $399.95 (Touch Edition) and $299.95 (Pocket Edition).
For a video tour of the Reader and other Sony products, please visit sonylearn.tv.

johcar
08-09-2010, 05:53 PM
eReader (compatible with all smartphones) has the ability to make notes...

ubergeek85
08-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I blame everything on the Java generation.

Everything is so damn bloated, everything seems to rely more and more on Java and .Net these days.

Years ago, I read a book on C# with DirectX. In the introduction, it said in it's own defence: it does not matter that JIT Compilers slow software down and bloat it, because the performance will be sorted as new hardware is released.

How wrong they were, every new incarnation I see these days is slower and slower. I shouldn't need a quadcore to do basic tasks, but that's where we are headed, such a shame.

x2

The answer is simple; code in Assembly. Maybe C/C++ in a pinch :D

But really, PHP, Java, .NET, etc, all are very good languages. There is a time and a place for them, however.

Java is great for multi-platform programming. Not so much as a server component.

Cato
08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
x2

The answer is simple; code in Assembly. Maybe C/C++ in a pinch :D

But really, PHP, Java, .NET, etc, all are very good languages. There is a time and a place for them, however.

Java is great for multi-platform programming. Not so much as a server component.

The problem is everyone is relying on the hardware to exceed the software. This isn't happening, hardware is FAR more expensive, they don't care (or there's a secret conspiracy).

The real problem is, you can't afford to work in C/C++ anymore, not because of "multiple platforms" but because of the wealth of programmers available from the third world. So it's crunch crunch crunch, or someone far cheaper [from India] is going to end up doing it.

Cato
08-09-2010, 06:47 PM
@Cato: Actually, the new Sony Readers (PRS-650, PRS-350) will be sold in New Zealand by Sony.

From the press release (http://www.sony.co.nz/pressrelease/asset/413432/section/productpressreleases):

How did I miss that? :thanks

Looks very affordable, too. Not the usual 3x overseas price.

Erayd
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Useful video of the PRS-650 here (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97525).

Cicero
09-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Aw heck,I was hoping for a conspiracy!