PDA

View Full Version : Holy Fibre Batman

SolMiester
08-09-2010, 10:34 AM
At the Expo in the bay....Unison & Airnet are providing connectivity...check it out..
http://www.speedtest.net/result/944510911.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

70Mb/s down.....

lakewoodlady
08-09-2010, 10:48 AM
:drool

LL

wainuitech
08-09-2010, 10:55 AM
While its fast - be nice to have, :drool, but in real life it wont happen, simply because there will be bottle necks all around the place.

Speed tests really dont prove much only what is theoretically possible on the connection a person has.

I bet if anyone who got the Fibre as being shown at the Expo wouldn't really get that kind of download speed in day to day usage.

Agent_24
08-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Where's the several terabyte data plan to go with it?

SolMiester
08-09-2010, 12:37 PM
While its fast - be nice to have, :drool, but in real life it wont happen, simply because there will be bottle necks all around the place.

Speed tests really dont prove much only what is theoretically possible on the connection a person has.

I bet if anyone who got the Fibre as being shown at the Expo wouldn't really get that kind of download speed in day to day usage.

Ummmm, yes you do!....and the unsion guys said they only hooked up half the speed, they have 2 x 512MB/s connections plugged in!...

we are actually building a new WAN on fibre which will have these speeds between are member firms up and down the country....the speeds will be higher though!

CYaBro
08-09-2010, 12:43 PM

While you could probably get that speed on fibre, I'd hate to know what it would cost!
We have fibre available up here in Whangarei now but all the plans I've seen are only 5mbs up & down or 10mbs up and down and the usual small monthly data caps like 20-50GB.
There is 100GB plan but that costs $250 a month.

wainuitech
08-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Ummmm, yes you do!....and the unsion guys said they only hooked up half the speed, they have 2 x 512MB/s connections plugged in!...

we are actually building a new WAN on fibre which will have these speeds between are member firms up and down the country....the speeds will be higher though!:lol:

So they are saying if a person gets the fibre they are pushing you are all of a sudden going to get approx 70Mbps from anywhere on the Internet -- Come-on -- your an IT person you know damn well thats not going to happen -- If so Hope they are prepared to guarantee that with money back (which we all know wont happen.)

Edited: Having a Separate WAN is completely different.

On the current WAN to get those speeds is highly unlikely.

SolMiester
08-09-2010, 01:36 PM
:lol:

So they are saying if a person gets the fibre they are pushing you are all of a sudden going to get approx 70Mbps from anywhere on the Internet -- Come-on -- your an IT person you know damn well thats not going to happen -- If so Hope they are prepared to guarantee that with money back (which we all know wont happen.)

Edited: Having a Separate WAN is completely different.

On the current WAN to get those speeds is highly unlikely.

Oh, I see what you mean, yes the server you are downloading from has to be on fibre yes......
Im talking inter-office connections.....i doubt there are many internet sites in NZ with that speed....

wainuitech
08-09-2010, 02:17 PM
:D Yeah, bit like transferring a large file over the LAN -- zoooooom but actually downloading it can sometimes be :sleep

The Fibre may be for the $$Rich$$ and Famous or those with deeeep pockets.

SolMiester
08-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Or member firms....we pay over a $1200 a month for office connectivity not including the internet!

wainuitech
08-09-2010, 03:55 PM
OUCH -- Over $14400 A Year :eek:

pctek
08-09-2010, 04:05 PM
yes the server you are downloading from has to be on fibre yes......
Im talking inter-office connections......

Such a pity such boring data will be transferred at such gorgeous speeds..........sigh.........;)

Chilling_Silence
08-09-2010, 04:42 PM
I got 180m/bit from my local VPS when I was at Auckmageddon.

Sure, you're not going to get the max of the gigabit that we had for a connection to the internet, but multi-threading a download certainly helped :D

SolMiester
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
OUCH -- Over $14400 A Year :eek:
Yes Telecom are a rip off...anyway the new WAN should cost about the same for 10 x the speed!...so it will have a DR value for off site replications!

SolMiester
08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Was talking to the Union Networks guys this morning....they have 1Gb/s speeds possible on fibre and will be looking at 10 GB/s in near future!

SolMiester
08-09-2010, 05:06 PM
deleted

somebody
08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Yes Telecom are a rip off...anyway the new WAN should cost about the same for 10 x the speed!...so it will have a DR value for off site replications!

We moved off a similarly priced plan for our Telecom OneOffice inter-office network to using symmetrical 10MBit Fibre (via ICONZ/Citylink/Vector) - for the same price (!!!!) - but with our own VPN hardware/software setup.

faith1806
08-09-2010, 07:09 PM
i think it is very interesting to visit Expo, and thanks your good job

Greven
09-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Is OneOffice still the only practical option for businesses with offices spread throughout the south island? I don't think the fibre will reach Invercargill any time soon

somebody
09-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Is OneOffice still the only practical option for businesses with offices spread throughout the south island? I don't think the fibre will reach Invercargill any time soon

According to http://broadbandmap.govt.nz/map both Telecom and TelstraClear have fibre to Invercargill - how easy (or affordable) it is to get connected is another story.

Greven
09-09-2010, 09:52 PM
According to http://broadbandmap.govt.nz/map both Telecom and TelstraClear have fibre to Invercargill - how easy (or affordable) it is to get connected is another story.

I should have specified non-telecom fibre. Telecom are probably going to do the usual trick of only offer competitive prices where there is competition

SolMiester
10-09-2010, 09:11 AM

I think we have about 5 providers doing tenders for the service over 14 offices from Invercargill to Kerikeri