PDA

View Full Version : Australian Government

Snorkbox
07-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Looks like Julia Gillard has managed to form a Government after convincing some Independants.

Wonders at what concessions she had to make?

mikebartnz
07-09-2010, 06:59 PM
She has got into bed with the Greens so they will get their own ETS.

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Whatever it is its better than what Abbott was gong to do. Get rid of everything

mikebartnz
07-09-2010, 07:29 PM
Whatever it is its better than what Abbott was gong to do. Get rid of everything
Time will tell.

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2010, 07:32 PM
According to a mate in oz, that's why Abbot wasn't picked. Most of his policies were too drastic

KenESmith
07-09-2010, 09:28 PM
The Liberal Policies that people were frightened of were what the Australian Labour Party said the Liberals would do, they deliberately ran a scare campaign, because they could not campaign positively on their 3 years of non achievement.
Kevin Rudd will probably go down as either the most incompetent or second most incompetent prime minister Australia has had since Federation.

For the record at no time did the Liberal Party state that any of the supposed Policies Labour Scare tactics proclaimed as Liberal policy were part of there Policy - in fact it was publically emphatically denied by the Liberal leader Tony Abbott.

The Liberals won more seats, nationally they had a higher percentage of the primary vote cast, a higher percentage of the preferred vote, and in the seats won by the so called independents their winning margin was in part attributable to Liberal and National party preferences.

One of the problems these independents have is that Parliament has to run a full term before two of them qualify for a parliamentary pension. Abbott as part of the negotiations on a deal, was required to agree to go a full term, wisely he made no such undertaking.

The odds are on that this minority Labour Government, will not go to full term , in fact it may not last 12- 18 months, Abbott will almost certainly lead the Coalition to a win and government if there is an early election, and one thing is for certain, the so-called independents will all be looking for a new job, sans parliamentary pension if there is any justice in Australian Politics.

prefect
08-09-2010, 07:25 AM
I reckon Abbott is secretly stoked he didnt get to be PM.
He should be proud how well he did as he was written off in the polls a few months ago.
All he has to do now is wait for the wheels to come off the labor government.
Next election 3 of the independents will be so gone burger.

paulw
08-09-2010, 08:26 AM
Wonder how long this new Labor Gov lasts. bet there will be "green" tax increases as a part of deal plus some gold plated country roads and towns.. I give them 10 months before the have to have another election..

John H
08-09-2010, 02:58 PM
I reckon Abbott is secretly stoked he didnt get to be PM. (snip)

Good grief - this may be the first time prefect and I have agreed on anything - I was saying to SWMBO that he will be happy, because becoming the government after this election would be the same as being handed a poisoned chalice.

And whoever causes an early election will be sent to the boondocks for the next two Parliamentary terms, so he will probably play nicely for a while.

zqwerty
08-09-2010, 03:49 PM
abbott is a religious nut Neanderthal and shouldn't be running anything in the modern world, I don't like the woman either but at least she won't take Aussie back to the dark ages.

mikebartnz
09-09-2010, 10:33 AM
abbott is a religious nut Neanderthal and shouldn't be running anything in the modern world, I don't like the woman either but at least she won't take Aussie back to the dark ages.
I will take that with a grain of salt as I know which side of the political spectrum you are.

KenESmith
09-09-2010, 04:09 PM
Abbott is not a religious nut, he did train to be a catholic priest, butdid not enter the priesthood. He is a Rhodes Scholar, which is a level of academic attainment that I doubt zqerty could approach, he is a journalist, a fairly good tri-athelete for a man of his age, and a man who stands by his principals (which is a rare personal quality in this age).
Surprising as at may seem, he is not a fool, and not likely to let his religious beliefs jeopardise a Liberal Government.
There is no doubt about it, he rejuvenated the coalition, they deserved to win, if there was such a thing as political justice the coalition would have one.
The Rudd Labour Government has already gone down in history as amongst the worst that Australia has ever suffered, and economic disaster was avoided solely because of the inherent strength of the Australian economy.The turned a $19 billion surplus into a $40 Billion deficit, wasting billions on the way.