PDA

View Full Version : How to auto-update "figure number" as more figures are added (Word)

Renmoo
07-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Hey all,

On a Microsoft Word document, I have got several figures placed in them. Each of the figures has been labeled with a caption "Figure X: ____" using the "Insert Caption" feature under "References". "X" is a number that is auto-generated by Microsoft Word, which is "X + 1" of the previous figure.

The problem that I am facing right now is that when a figure is removed, Microsoft Word doesn't automatically reupdate "X". Using an example to illustrate the situation better:

Figures: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
When figure 3 has been removed, Microsoft Word doesn't push up figure 4 to 3 --> i.e.

Figures: 1, 2, 4, 5, 6

IT'S BUGGING ME!

Snorkbox
07-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Which version of Word and is this a numbered list like bulleted except numbered or what?

stevie_boy
07-09-2010, 08:13 PM
From the Microsoft Word Help:

"By default, Word automatically updates fields when a document is opened. That way, information stays up to date.

To manually update all the fields in the main body of a document, press CTRL+A, and then press F9. Fields in headers, footers, or text boxes must be updated separately. Click within the header, footer, or text box, press CTRL+A, and then press F9."

Renmoo
07-09-2010, 09:12 PM
That sounds like a solution that I am looking for, stevie_boy. Thanks :)

Snorkbox: Word 2007, with auto numbering generated at the front page (i.e "List of Figures")

kahawai chaser
07-09-2010, 09:56 PM
The above mentioned should work; Another way might be to insert a cross reference (to a reference type - including bookmarked text/items), in some situations. Bit tricky to explain - but maybe worth looking up.

Renmoo
07-09-2010, 11:28 PM
From the Microsoft Word Help:

"By default, Word automatically updates fields when a document is opened. That way, information stays up to date.

To manually update all the fields in the main body of a document, press CTRL+A, and then press F9. Fields in headers, footers, or text boxes must be updated separately. Click within the header, footer, or text box, press CTRL+A, and then press F9."
Thanks, that works. Back to my dissertation. :)

stevie_boy
08-09-2010, 08:27 PM
Thanks, that works. Back to my dissertation. :)

No worries. Good luck :)