PDA

View Full Version : Saving photos to disk

jebby
07-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi all, after losing a few photos from a major crash I am looking for a way to backup just the recently added photos. In "My Documents" I have a folder called "My Photos", in that folder I have a seperate folder for each family member - hobby - club -event - etc. OK I have saved a copy of "My Photos" to DVD (900MB), but how can I add to the DVD any photos I add to any of the folders in say the next month without including the 900MB already saved.
In other words how do I keep track of any photos that have not been saved to DVD. Hope you can understand.

pctek
07-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Buy yourself an external hard drive.
Download Syncback (free).
Once you've copied to the drive with it, it will just copy the new stuff from then on.

psycik
07-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Couple more options.

If you're a telecom customer you get a flickr pro account (unlimited). Use flickrsync to upload.

Or depending on number of photos Windows live mesh does about 5gb for free.

Or the final solution (and I use this last one) - Carbonite online backup $50USD for unlimited storage.

Of course your data caps come into play with this typoe of solution, which is why I did all mine while on big time, since I have bout 10gb worth of photos now (1st born son) @ 5+ megapixels.

kahawai chaser
07-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Google have just ramped up their Picassa Online Web Albums, where you can back up photo's, and share albums, etc.

psycik
07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Google have just ramped up their Picassa Online Web Albums, where you can back up photo's, and share albums, etc.

In what way? I still only have 1 gb storage.

I prefer the look of Flickr, just find the photo stream idea personally more appealing.....but really love the picasa app with uploading to web albums.

faith1806
07-09-2010, 10:51 PM
u have lots of photos, as far as i see, maybe it is a good way to buy a hard drive

jebby
07-09-2010, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the replys, I didn't realize it would be so involved, will look into the suggestions, thanks again.

psycik
08-09-2010, 07:48 AM
Its only as involved as you want it to be. The harddrive option is a good one. Connect a hard drive run synctoy, and take harddrive away from computer.

For a pure 2nd copy perspective this works (you could do it manually....if you remember to do it, and this is a key point). - I've personally found I prefer set and forget, so I went the carbonite (and looked at mozy online) route.

But 2nd copies don't help in the event of a disaster etc, this is where getting the 2nd copy "somewhere else" be it a mates house, online in the cloud, your workplace is, I think, a good idea. So the hard drive still works but you again have to remember to make the backups, and take the hard drive away.

I know people that ship drives (they drive swap) with backups from other ends of the country, seems overkill to me, but hey, each to their own.

Deimos
08-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Buy your self an external hard drive and make a robocopy script to backup your files.