PDA

View Full Version : Backup software

euon
07-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Hi,
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and I'm just trying to set up a backup scheme.
I'm using Paragon to create an image of my C drive (Os and apps) once a month and I'm looking for a good program to do incremental, versioned backups of my D drive (documents, photos, music).
Could anyone advise me on some reliable software i could use for this?
Preferably not too expensive...

Thanks!

Cellux
07-09-2010, 02:48 PM
Karen's Replicator (http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp).

Deimos
07-09-2010, 02:50 PM
robocopy (built in to windows 7 already)

wainuitech
07-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Do a search among the threads, theres several people already asked this question -- heres one similar (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=112279) as well as several answers.

Snorkbox
07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
As far as I can see robocopy is not part of Win7.

Just tried Replicator and it works fine.

pctek
07-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi,
I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and I'm just trying to set up a backup scheme.
I'm using Paragon to create an image of my C drive (Os and apps) once a month and I'm looking for a good program to do incremental, versioned backups of my D drive (documents, photos, music).

Thanks!
Why make continual images of C:?
You don't need to and it copies all the bloat and corruption across too - keep the original and then leave it alone.

As for your data, why not just use the built in WIndows one?

Or download Syncback.

Deimos
07-09-2010, 04:02 PM
As far as I can see robocopy is not part of Win7.

Totally wrong there mate, open up a command prompt and type robocopy, hit enter, it will give you some basic instructions, more detailed instructions with the ? switch.

It has been included with every version of Windows since Vista and is a free download option for earlier versions of Windows.

wratterus
07-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Totally wrong there mate, open up a command prompt and type robocopy, hit enter, it will give you some basic instructions, more detailed instructions with the ? switch.

:thumbs:

I suppose it's possible that home premium might not have it?

Deimos
07-09-2010, 04:09 PM

Not possible because robocopy is the backend for standard file copy since Vista (thats why you now get prompted to "sync folder contents" and "replace or rename")

Snorkbox
07-09-2010, 04:12 PM
OK. I do have robocopy. Never used Vista and recently installed Win7 Pro so I had not yet found it.

gary67
07-09-2010, 07:24 PM

It does I just checked. I use syncback to backup my data drive and I back them up as folders and not as an image. I only image my C drive

Alex B
07-09-2010, 07:56 PM
Shadow Protect Desktop Edition