PDA

View Full Version : Dump from PVR to USB

FAB
06-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Hi all

I'm looking at changing my analogue DVD recorder to a MyFreeviewHD box of some sort - eg Homecast, JC Matthews etc.

The thing is the recorder is in our bedroom - and that's the best place for it as we often watch recorded programs once the kids have gone to bed.

In our lounge we have an LCD TV and a WD Media player. So - I want to record a program on some PVR in the bedroom, transfer it to USB (ideally avi file) so I can dump it on the hard drive in the lounge, then the kids can watch it.

At the moment I have to burn a DVD of the recorded program then dump that onto the hard disk attached to the media player. A pain and means I end up with a useless DVD at the end.

I would have thought all the PVR STBs would do this, but after reading the PDF manuals for them it looks like they don't? From what I've read the USB only seems to be used for upgrades.

Can anyone who may have one of the PVRs let me know if you can do this?

I don't want to have a media sender of any sort as eventually we will run out of disk space, and it's just better to get them off the recorder/PVR.

Cheers and thanks

psycik
07-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi all

I'm looking at changing my analogue DVD recorder to a MyFreeviewHD box of some sort - eg Homecast, JC Matthews etc.

The thing is the recorder is in our bedroom - and that's the best place for it as we often watch recorded programs once the kids have gone to bed.

In our lounge we have an LCD TV and a WD Media player. So - I want to record a program on some PVR in the bedroom, transfer it to USB (ideally avi file) so I can dump it on the hard drive in the lounge, then the kids can watch it.

At the moment I have to burn a DVD of the recorded program then dump that onto the hard disk attached to the media player. A pain and means I end up with a useless DVD at the end.

I would have thought all the PVR STBs would do this, but after reading the PDF manuals for them it looks like they don't? From what I've read the USB only seems to be used for upgrades.

Can anyone who may have one of the PVRs let me know if you can do this?

I don't want to have a media sender of any sort as eventually we will run out of disk space, and it's just better to get them off the recorder/PVR.

Cheers and thanks

I had a p[lay with a strong DVB-S STB that my father in law had. Inserted USB stick recorded some stuff and then was able to play it on my pc with VLC.

I think the files are .ts but these boxes tend to play with the extensions somewhat, so VLC is fine with it, but I'm unsure if a WD TV would be very happy. Best advice I could give you is find a mate with an STB you can still buy, and try it first.

Hmm actually - you looking at freeview or freeview|hd? If the HD one, the Wd tv may not play tv1/tv2/c3/prime etc as I don't think it knows how to deal with the HE-AAC-LC sound. TV3 should work as its got the Dolby Digital stream as well.

Something else to be aware of.