PDA

View Full Version : "Stand by" not working

Grampsey
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Hi Guys, can anyone help me. When I click "Stand By" the hard drive does not shut off (the fan keeps going). This is only a recent problem since I had a couple of computer seizes when video editing. Regards Grampsey. :(

PPp
06-09-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't have the knowledge myself and as you have had no replys perhaps this link could help you out:http://fivepercent.us/2008/06/06/windows-xp-standby-and-hibernate-problems-solved-finally-i-hope/

nedkelly
06-09-2010, 11:52 PM
I did not think the hard drives and fans stopped spinning in standby only in hibernation and off

:pf1mobmini:

Agent_24
07-09-2010, 12:19 AM
I suspect what you are calling your "hard drive" is the actual computer itself. I mention this because knowing what you are talking about changes the whole interpretation of the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive Is this what you are talking about?

Anyway - There are two different types of standby modes - S1 and S3 (Power on suspend and Suspend to RAM respectively). In S1 the fans and hard drives usually keep spinning, and in S3 mode almost the entire system powers off except for the RAM.

I am guessing your computer used to go into S3 mode but now only goes into S1 mode. This option is selected in the BIOS setup so this *should* only change if you did it yourself.

However, some hardware can have bad drivers which break standby function of Windows, some software can probably do it too.

07-09-2010, 02:22 PM
This is only a recent problem since I had a couple of computer seizes when video editing. Regards Grampsey. :(

Im assuming it a PC, not a laptop.
Turn off standby/hibernation.
If not using the PC for a long period of time(say a day) shut it down, else just leave it on.

I think perhaps you are going down the wrong track to fix that fault with 'seizing'(above)

Grampsey
07-09-2010, 05:52 PM
I suspect what you are calling your "hard drive" is the actual computer itself. I mention this because knowing what you are talking about changes the whole interpretation of the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive Is this what you are talking about?

Anyway - There are two different types of standby modes - S1 and S3 (Power on suspend and Suspend to RAM respectively). In S1 the fans and hard drives usually keep spinning, and in S3 mode almost the entire system powers off except for the RAM.

I am guessing your computer used to go into S3 mode but now only goes into S1 mode. This option is selected in the BIOS setup so this *should* only change if you did it yourself.

However, some hardware can have bad drivers which break standby function of Windows, some software can probably do it too.

Many thanks guys for your replies. Yes it is the PC computer not shutting down in "stand by" mode that is my problem. I have a feeling that it is the BIOS settings that have changed for some reason. However before I make any changes and due to my limited of knowledge of Bios or drivers I will have to wait for my friendly computer man to come. :rolleyes: Cheers G.

Grampsey
08-09-2010, 06:02 PM

Spot on "Agent 24" -- we changed the S1(POS) to S3(STR) and all is back to normal. Why it changed I have no idea -- but who cares all is good now :clap Many Many thanks. G.

Agent_24
08-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Spot on "Agent 24" -- we changed the S1(POS) to S3(STR) and all is back to normal. Why it changed I have no idea -- but who cares all is good now :clap Many Many thanks. G.

Good to hear it worked!

Perhaps some software changed it? I do not know. Usually things like that should only change if you did it yourself... or perhaps your BIOS battery has gone flat and the settings went back to defaults?