PDA

View Full Version : playing AVI files

08-09-2001, 10:21 AM
I'm trying to run AVI files in Windows Media Player 7 but withouit success. MPG & WMF files work fine. Can anyone assist please?

08-09-2001, 12:00 PM
I found many AVI files played, but some didn't; in some cases, Media Player displayed a message 'getting codec,' but clearly failed to get it from whatever source it was trying.
I eventually got the dvix codec from a site my computer seller put me on to (unfortunately, I don't have the URL handy, but I suggest you look up 'dvix codec' on the Microsoft site.)
But beware a more genrral search: some dvix codecs out there are said to be hacks and unreliable or even damaging. (Any further comment on this?)
My biggest current problem with video files is stopping WMP and RealPlayer fighting over them at download; particularly the .mpgs, which Real renames .mpa, so only it can play them!
And the legal Eagles talk about WMP being 'bundled' with Windows!

08-09-2001, 02:41 PM
there are a fair few different codecs around. have a look in the files properties it may tell u the codec or some info u can search for. also try the preveiw, if it dosn't preveiw it may be corrupt or has the wrong extention.

divx4 is a lot better and has its own little player in case media player can't play them.