PDA

View Full Version : "Telecom will guarantee speeds on VDSL2 service"

johcar
06-09-2010, 02:03 PM
Here (http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/telecom-will-guarantee-speeds-on-vdsl2-service).

...the services are likely to appeal primarily to business customers

I read that to mean "expensive"...

users must be located within 900 metres of an exchange or roadside cabinet to receive the service = the catch...

R2x1
06-09-2010, 02:12 PM
"Oh, not that cabinet" = another catch.

wratterus
06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
900m. I'd guarantee a lot if it was within 900m too.

nedkelly
06-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Im about 200

johcar
06-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Im about 200

Ah, but how deep are your pockets?

The Error Guy
06-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Rendering useless to everyone unless you have your own private exchange

somebody
06-09-2010, 07:31 PM
Rendering useless to everyone unless you have your own private exchange

Err... based on the number of cabinets which have been/are being put in, there will be quite a lot of people within the range.

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2010, 09:04 AM
3500 in fact, which covers more of NZ homes and businesses than the Govt FTTH project.

It doesn't really mean that much, them putting you back to ADSL2+, but is a nice gesture I suppose?

autechre
07-09-2010, 10:01 AM
And I bet it comes with a piffling 10GB cap too. Woo-freakin-hoo.
Now I can use up my cap in 5 minutes instead of 20. Yay
/sarcasm

wainuitech
07-09-2010, 10:12 AM
All that means nothing really, as per the article
which has theoretical speeds of more than 40Mbit/s.

Now lets be honest here -- even on the plans people have now, and going by the speed tests often posted, how many people actually obtain the full speed they currently have -- Next to zilch I bet.

I had a telstra service guy here a few years back checking out the speed, he logged into some place within Telstra and downloaded some file, a direct tunnel he said and I got the 10Mbps.

Edited: Heres a classic example, a speed test 9 MB download from Aussie --
Broadband Speed Test Results

Test run on 07/09/2010 @ 07:18 AM

Mirror: Optus
Data: 9 MB
Test Time: 7.94 secs

Your line speed is 9.52 Mbps (9520 kbps).
Your download speed is 1.16 MB/s (1190 KB/s). Wish I had that all the time - 9MB in just under 8 seconds.

Any one interested heres the test site (http://www.ozspeedtest.com/)

johcar
07-09-2010, 10:55 AM
All that means nothing really, as per the article .

Now lets be honest here -- even on the plans people have now, and going by the speed tests often posted, how many people actually obtain the full speed they currently have -- Next to zilch I bet.

I had a telstra service guy here a few years back checking out the speed, he logged into some place within Telstra and downloaded some file, a direct tunnel he said and I got the 10Mbps.

Edited: Heres a classic example, a speed test 9 MB download from Aussie -- Wish I had that all the time - 9MB in just under 8 seconds.

Any one interested heres the test site (http://www.ozspeedtest.com/)

`[*Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test*]`]
[(----------------------------------
Test run on [*07/09/2010*] @ [*07:52 AM*])]

[(Mirror: [*Optus*]
Data: [*9 MB*]
Test Time: [*5.83 secs*])]

[(Your line speed is [*12.97 Mbps*] (12970 kbps).
Your download speed is [*1.58 MB/s*] (1621 KB/s). )]

And :

Upload Test
Results
You uploaded 1 MB bytes in 2.2 seconds.

kbps: 3813.17
KB/s: 476.65
Mbps: 3.81

Not bad. Wish I could get that at home!

Nomad
07-09-2010, 11:51 AM
we are about within 50m from a exchange, thru a line test we may get 4.5Mbit at times but some youtube vids still pauses now and then ...

we are are on ADSL1 - FS/128. We are on a 10GB plan with Actrix.

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2010, 02:45 PM
YouTube isn't the best example, and that's possibly why, you're on ADSL1.

They're being a *lot* more strict with the likes of VDSL2, as people have seen even if you have FTTN and then ADSL2+ for the "last mile" it doesn't mean you'll get a decent connection.

From what I understand they've been testing a variety of routers, making sure they don't do any that are as crap as the D-Link DSL-504T's for example, and they're *forcing* you to have your line split, rather than using filters.

More often than not, the prohibiting factor on better ADSL2+ speeds where a user is on a cabinet is the CPE, not the nationwide network, unless you're with somebody such as Slingshot or Xnet who oversubscribe their international bandwidth somewhat horribly.
VDSL2 is a chance for them to set that right and say "Well if you don't meet these conditions, you ain't gonna get VDSL2, so you can't ***** and moan about the service like you do currently just because you're either misinformed or have crappy CPE / wiring.".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's how it always is, but certainly more often than not!

Battleneter2
07-09-2010, 04:22 PM
Lets forget all this Telecom local loop controlled foreplay and focus on Government controlled FTTD.

10 years+ Telecom have had a chance to move NZ ahead, they failed time to move forward :) . To me they are still doing there little dance to try and cling onto control.

Hmmm hope the government use there brains in CHCH with so many residential roads and driveways about to be dug up :P

pctek
07-09-2010, 04:32 PM
It doesn't really mean that much, them putting you back to ADSL2+, but is a nice gesture I suppose?

Doesn't mean much to all those people currently more than 5Km from a cabinet or exchange now, either. But they'll be happy on their 31k dialup...........

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2010, 05:14 PM
Doesn't mean much to all those people currently more than 5Km from a cabinet or exchange now, either. But they'll be happy on their 31k dialup...........

Pretty much, but said person is already 5KM from a current exchange / cabinet, then they're not going to be any better off with the Govt's FTTH project, they're better off contacting Chorus directly and asking if there's anything in their area that can be done for rural homes. I know that they've partnered with certain Farmers in some cases to use their gear in the event of a long-term power failure (Obviously rural users being a long way away it's harder for somebody to get to from a non-rural location, longer than a UPS would handle), so they plug their generators into the local cabinet or something like that...

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2010, 07:35 PM
This is a very good article on the matter:
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/sbiddle/7385

Highly recommend the read!