PDA

View Full Version : No Video Signal

tui21
06-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I brought a whole lot of new parts to build a new system.

I have a Intel Core i5 750 installed in a ASUS P7H55-M Motherboard with on-board video, I have since realized the Intel Core i5 750 doesn't support integrated graphics, so the on-board video won't work.
I thought a quick fix to this problem was to add a PCI-E video card, but there is still no video signal:crying. I thought once I add a video card the Motherboard would make it the default video, but it hasn't.
I'm guessing a setting in the Motherboard BIOS needs to be changed to disable the on-board video so the PCI-E video card will work, is this correct? If so I was wondering if this would be possible to do 'blind' (with no picture) if i new the exact keys to press in the BIOS maybe I could disable the on-board video that way?

The PC seems to otherwise boot OK there is no beeps HDD LED flashes and so on, just no video signal.
The video card I'm using is a Sapphire Radeon HD 4350 256MB.

I hope you can help me with this problem and buying a processor that supports integrated graphics isn't a option for me because that's far to expensive.

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2010, 10:23 AM
According to the ASUS site

Intel has introduced a new "Intel® HD Graphics" with the new generation chipsets H55 & H57. Unlike integrated graphics in the chipset, this new technology works only with a CPU with integrated GPU, such as a Clarkdale CPU. If you use an older CPU without the integrated GPU, the onboard VGA will not function as the graphical function is not present in the system. The rest of the system can still function. You will need to use an add-on VGA card for display.

Below lists some CPUs with integrated GPU:
Intel Core i3 500 series:Core i3 530,Core i3 540
Intel Core i5 600 series:Core i5 650, Core i5 660, Core i5 661, Core i5 670
Intel Pentium G6950

For most the up-to-date list, please visit Intel website at http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx for complete information. CPU with integrated GPU should have "Intel® HD Graphics supports" in its datasheet.

As for your Core i7 860 CPU, it is a Lynnfield CPU without any integrated GPU. To resolve your display issue, please either change your CPU, or use an add-on VGA card.

A separate card should work

tui21
06-09-2010, 10:40 AM
According to the ASUS site

Intel has introduced a new "Intel® HD Graphics" with the new generation chipsets H55 & H57. Unlike integrated graphics in the chipset, this new technology works only with a CPU with integrated GPU, such as a Clarkdale CPU. If you use an older CPU without the integrated GPU, the onboard VGA will not function as the graphical function is not present in the system. The rest of the system can still function. You will need to use an add-on VGA card for display.

Below lists some CPUs with integrated GPU:
Intel Core i3 500 series:Core i3 530,Core i3 540
Intel Core i5 600 series:Core i5 650, Core i5 660, Core i5 661, Core i5 670
Intel Pentium G6950

For most the up-to-date list, please visit Intel website at http://processorfinder.intel.com/Default.aspx for complete information. CPU with integrated GPU should have "Intel® HD Graphics supports" in its datasheet.

As for your Core i7 860 CPU, it is a Lynnfield CPU without any integrated GPU. To resolve your display issue, please either change your CPU, or use an add-on VGA card.

A separate card should work
Yes I have seen this on there site and you may not have read my post properly, I have added a separate video card a Sapphire Radeon HD 4350 but it's not working. I think I need to disable the on-board video in the BIOS first but how can I when I have no picture?

pctek
06-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I thought a quick fix to this problem was to add a PCI-E video card, but there is still no video signal:crying.

I'm guessing a setting in the Motherboard BIOS needs to be changed to disable the on-board video so the PCI-E video card will work, is this correct?

You shouldn't need to alter the BIOS to get a boot up picture.
Check everything is connected properly, and your PSU is OK.

tui21
06-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Everything seems to be connected ok PSU seems to be working fine.
In the installation instructions for the Video card it says 'If on-board video is present disable this in-order for the video card to work'.

SolMiester
06-09-2010, 11:29 AM
I CPU doesnt need to support on-board graphics, that what the on-board graphic due...LOL. I think you are getting confused with H57 motherboard and a Clarkdale CPU\GPU.....
You say you are not getting any beeps?, no POST, means you have hardware issues!, check you have all power plugs plugged in!

tui21
06-09-2010, 11:38 AM
What does this mean then?

tui21
06-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I have a H55 and it says 'If you use an older CPU without the integrated GPU, the onboard VGA will not function as the graphical function is not present in the system'. Sorry if I sound not so clued up it's because I'm still learning.

tui21
06-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I CPU doesnt need to support on-board graphics, that what the on-board graphic due...LOL. I think you are getting confused with H57 motherboard and a Clarkdale CPU\GPU.....
You say you are not getting any beeps?, no POST, means you have hardware issues!, check you have all power plugs plugged in!
I just double checked my power connections and there is a 8pin power plug on the motherboard with 4pins blanked off with a plastic cap. My PSU only has a 4pin plug, so If I got a 4pin to 8pin adapter and plug that in do you think that would resolve my issue?

pctek
06-09-2010, 02:01 PM
My PSU only has a 4pin plug, so If I got a 4pin to 8pin adapter and plug that in do you think that would resolve my issue?

No. If it's blanked off, you don't need it. Built one like that the other week......

Check RAM is seated right and in correct slots. Check CPU is seated right, and fan plugged in.

IN fact disconnect all the drives for now and just try booting it with the minimum - CPU, GPU and RAM What PSU is it?.

tui21
06-09-2010, 02:17 PM
No. If it's blanked off, you don't need it. Built one like that the other week......

Check RAM is seated right and in correct slots. Check CPU is seated right, and fan plugged in.

IN fact disconnect all the drives for now and just try booting it with the minimum - CPU, GPU and RAM What PSU is it?.
Tried booting with minimum made no difference all connections seem ok. It's a 420w PSU the brand is ISO. I don't think it's a power issue, somethings up with the on-board video

SolMiester
06-09-2010, 02:30 PM
What does this mean then?

New mainboards with Intel HD graphics require the dual core clarkdale which has GPU\CPU on the 1 die.
i5 Lynnfield does not and if on a P57 will be okay with on-board graphics...what chipset do you have on the mainboard?

tui21
06-09-2010, 02:32 PM
New mainboards with Intel HD graphics require the dual core clarkdale which has GPU\CPU on the 1 die.
i5 Lynnfield does not and if on a P57 will be okay with on-board graphics...what chipset do you have on the mainboard?
H55

wainuitech
06-09-2010, 02:35 PM
You are going to need a CPU that does support integrated Graphics if you want the On-board - other wise you will need to use a graphic Card , as per Speedy's link - the I5 - 750 Doesn't

Intels Site Specs (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Intergrated_Graphics.jpg) -- Almost got caught out with that the other day - The Asus P7H55-M One of these as theres several (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Asus_motherboards.jpg) all require the correct CPU -- note what it says in brackets in the picture
(Choose processors with Intel Graphics technology for VGA support).

The problem you may have is the onboard is trying to take over, and the graphic card wont register. BUT if the CPU doesn't support the graphics, then the card "Should" take over the job.

Do you have another PC you can try the graphic Card in to make sure its actually working ?

tui21
06-09-2010, 02:44 PM
You are going to need a CPU that does support integrated Graphics if you want the On-board - other wise you will need to use a graphic Card , as per Speedy's link - the I5 - 750 Doesn't

Intels Site Specs (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Intergrated_Graphics.jpg) -- Almost got caught out with that the other day - The Asus P7H55-M One of these as theres several (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Asus_motherboards.jpg) all require the correct CPU -- note what it says in brackets in the picture .

The problem you may have is the onboard is trying to take over, and the graphic card wont register. BUT if the CPU doesn't support the graphics, then the card "Should" take over the job.

Do you have another PC you can try the graphic Card in to make sure its actually working ?
Yeah it's strange how the graphics card wont work. I will try it in my PC and get back to you. I'll also try the graphics card from my PC in the one I'm building and see if that works.

To clear up confusion I'm building a PC for a friend. I have my own PC which I built BUT WORKS:confused:

SolMiester
06-09-2010, 02:55 PM
H55

Okay, so really, you got the incorrect board for the cpu if you didnt want discrete graphic. P55\P57......

ASUS states your cpu should work though with the add-in gpu you have, so I would say either the PSU isnt up to much, the mainboard is faulty or the GPU....

I would do as PCT suggests, put together on a anti static pad with just cpu, ram and see if you can get the moard to post!

pctek
06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
It's a 420w PSU the brand is ISO.

Well whether its the problem or not - it's crap. I'd change it to something decent.

tui21
07-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Update:

Removed motherboard from case put on anti-static pad, left CPU, 1 RAM module, graphics card and power connected to motherboard- turned on with no change (no beeps, no posts just CPU fan spinning and motherboard LED on).

Then removed all RAM- Received beeps regarding no RAM.

Put graphics card into working PC- Working fine

Connected PSU from faulty PC to working PC- Didn't boot, no beeps, no posts just CPU fan spinning and motherboard LED on. Thought yay problem solved PSU faulty, but no...

Connected PSU from working PC into motherboard- Again turned on with no change (no beeps, no posts just CPU fan spinning and motherboard LED on)

So what I got from all this is that the PSU and motherboard a both faulty, but what are the odds of that? As all parts are new.

I'm so confused!

Here's my specs, can you see anything that would cause conflict?

Motherboard-ASUS P7H55-M
CPU-Intel Core i5 750 socket LGA1156 Speed: 2.66Ghz
RAM-DDR3 1333 2GB CL9 x2
GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 4350

SolMiester
07-09-2010, 12:49 PM
or , faulty psu connected to new mainboard booted and damaged new mainboard now both are dead!
are you connecting 12v and 20\24 mainboard plugs?

tui21
07-09-2010, 12:55 PM
or , faulty psu connected to new mainboard booted and damaged new mainboard now both are dead!
are you connecting 12v and 20\24 mainboard plugs?
working PC motherboard working fine, 12v and 20\24 mainboard plugs both connected.

SolMiester
07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
working PC motherboard working fine, 12v and 20\24 mainboard plugs both connected.

However the faulty PSU could already of damaged the mainboard....did you not state the faulty psu didnt start the working pc?....you need a better class of PSU 1st, then if problems, Id suggest the mainboard....

tui21
07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Update: OK get this I moved RAM into further-est slot from CPU and BOOTED!! YAY!!
so what's up with that? I have 2 RAM modules so which slots should I have RAM in?

wainuitech
07-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Update: OK get this I moved RAM into further-est slot from CPU and BOOTED!! YAY!!
so what's up with that? I have 2 RAM modules so which slots should I have RAM in? If using two RAM modules, use slots 1 & 3 The BLACK ones (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/ASUS_P7H55-M.jpg) if you had them in blue & black it wont boot, its one or the other, both black or both Blue. Read the manual 1-17 ;)

tui21
07-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Thats whats strange I had them in the black and now have both in the blue slots and it's booting fine, I was so certain I had the RAM in the right place oh well it's working now.

Thanks all for your help!

Agent_24
07-09-2010, 01:50 PM
Removed motherboard from case put on anti-static pad, left CPU, 1 RAM module, graphics card and power connected to motherboard- turned on with no change (no beeps, no posts just CPU fan spinning and motherboard LED on).

Don't do that. Anti-static bags are electrically conductive, you could get false errors or cause damage.

Definitely get a better PSU.

faith1806
07-09-2010, 10:19 PM
thanks, i will have a try. my PC has no Video Signal,too

pctek
08-09-2010, 07:27 AM
. Anti-static bags are electrically conductive
He said PAD not bag.

PSU could already of damaged the mainboard.....
Could have, not could of. (Sorry, can't help myself......)

I moved RAM into further-est slot from CPU and BOOTED!! YAY!!

I'd be sending the board back for replacement then.