PDA

View Full Version : Quake photos

hueybot3000
05-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey all, for those interested here dad's album of photos hes taken around the place. All of it is within 5 minutes or closer of my place

link (http://picasaweb.google.com/peng1nz/2010_09Earthquake?authkey=Gv1sRgCM_w-4y9-Z7P9AE#5512931034473843394)

Bobh
05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks for posting the photos. These show how things are in the suburbs. The TV news seems to focus on the Central Business District.

ubergeek85
05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
Nice pics. Some areas hit harder than I thought. Looks like you need a good 4wd to get around some of those roads.

lakewoodlady
05-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for posting the photos. These show how things are in the suburbs. The TV news seems to focus on the Central Business District.

Incredible pics! Thanks for posting them. Prayers and thoughts for all you peeps down there.

LL

wainuitech
05-09-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for Posting.

Snorkbox
05-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Nice pics. Some areas hit harder than I thought. Looks like you need a good 4wd to get around some of those roads.

So it is useful to have a Remuera taxi at times then apparently even if it annoys some people.

ubergeek85
05-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Heres a few from work. Sorry about the quality.

ubergeek85
05-09-2010, 07:39 PM
And more...

BobM
06-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Magic pics.! Gives one a better idea how the suburbs suffered. Hope that you & yours are okay.

bob_doe_nz
06-09-2010, 12:27 AM
What about the Avon River? Are there cracks along it?

forrest44
06-09-2010, 12:31 AM
Here are some pics I took this afternoon up at brooklands...

forrest44
06-09-2010, 12:32 AM
...and some more

Agent_24
06-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Since I don't live in Christchurch this is all I could come up with...

roddy_boy
06-09-2010, 02:52 AM

Oh just grow up or go away.

Agent_24
06-09-2010, 04:23 AM

Going by the majority of your posts, I think you need to take your own advice.

Besides, the thread is clearly titled Quake photos, not EARTHQuake photos :p

wainuitech
06-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Besides, the thread is clearly titled Quake photos, not EARTHQuake photos :p The other two threads also have the word Quake and not EarthQuake, yet every one knows what they mean --- roddy_boy's advice stands true.

Thanks to all the people who have posted photos.

Gobe1
06-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Awesome photos, love the one of the kid and his bike trying to get through the puddle

jareemon
06-09-2010, 10:35 AM
:lol:

jareemon
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Since when has this been an adult-only, no-jokes-allowed site?

WalOne
06-09-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the pics. The rest of us can still only guess what it must be like.

(My text before I saw these)

jareemon
06-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Better pics here
http://www.crashbang.co.nz/quake040910/

Gobe1
06-09-2010, 12:27 PM
It appears as if there is a lot of sand below Chch

mikebartnz
06-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Since when has this been an adult-only, no-jokes-allowed site?
There is a time and a place for humour and this wasn't it so it wasn't funny.

DeSade
06-09-2010, 12:45 PM
It appears as if there is a lot of sand below Chch

Most of Christchurch is reclaimed swamp land, usually reclaimed with sand dredged from rivers and harbours.

wainuitech
06-09-2010, 12:53 PM
:thumbs: very well put - totally agree.

mikebartnz
06-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Most of Christchurch is reclaimed swamp land, usually reclaimed with sand dredged from rivers and harbours.
Unlike the Edgecumbe earthquake which had some good cracks in the ground I can't get over the amount of silt that has risen because of the quake.

Agent_24
06-09-2010, 01:05 PM
I apologize if I offended anyone with my pictures, it was not the intention.

ubergeek85
06-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Better pics here
http://www.crashbang.co.nz/quake040910/

Good link, thanks for that.

FoxyMX
06-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks to those who have posted pics or links to pics. I've seen a lot of the buildings and areas shown and it isn't pretty. If the earthquake had happened during the day or even three hours earlier there would have been many fatalities and untold injuries. It is amazing that we only had two seriously injured people.

Our house came through relatively unscathed, apart from a leak in the hot water cylinder pipe that flooded out part of the hall, and just one smashed item. Just three items fell off shelves when I expected at least the entire contents of the pantry to come down.

On the other hand my sister-in-law's house was trashed with fallen items and the mother-in-law has to abandon her house due to no electric or water and broken sewers that will take months to repair.

The next street from us has big cracks and holes in the road that I swear have grown since Saturday morning, probably with the aftershocks which are still happening. Many of the aftershocks are a lot worse than any earthquake I have experienced in the past which puts one a bit on edge at times.

Despite all the damage I think we have come out of this quite lightly considering the size of the earthquake.

There are three or four lessons learned from this that people would be wise to heed:

1. Do not put pictures or shelves on the wall above or around your bed, nor have furniture or drawers nearby that can fall on top of you.

2. Always keep a torch with fresh batteries right by your bed. Fumbling around in the pitch dark unable to see is not fun.

3. Keep a radio with fresh batteries handy to keep up to date with events.

4. Always store containers of fresh water for drinking.

We all get complacent about these things because it never happens to us. Well it just did happen to us and we were very thankful that we could tick off the first three items and didn't need the fourth this time.

ubergeek85
06-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice aerial footage here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SifN3RP8PMM

Edit; and some more good video here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V18ONciZFao

ubergeek85
06-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Cops have just released a few PR-style pics; http://www.police.govt.nz/news/release/25343.html

jareemon
06-09-2010, 06:39 PM

I think times like these are the best time for humour. I'm sure some people found it funny and others didn't. Maybe some even found it offensive. But humour has a price. That price is offending people sometimes. It's a learning curve. Is anyone crying over their dead loved one in chch? Maybe someone's car was ****** up but hey, they're still alive and in saying that could probably use a good joke to lighten the mood.
If anyone here lives in chch, tell me, do you not appreciate humour at a time like this?

forrest44
06-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I think times like these are the best time for humour. I'm sure some people found it funny and others didn't. Maybe some even found it offensive. But humour has a price. That price is offending people sometimes. It's a learning curve. Is anyone crying over their dead loved one in chch? Maybe someone's car was ****** up but hey, they're still alive and in saying that could probably use a good joke to lighten the mood.
If anyone here lives in chch, tell me, do you not appreciate humour at a time like this?

I thought it was quite funny to be honest :)

mikebartnz
06-09-2010, 07:28 PM
I can only say that I think you have a little bit to learn and one is when to just shut up and leave it alone.

TideMan
06-09-2010, 09:19 PM
In case people outside of ChCh get the idea that the whole city has been badly affected, our suburb (Riccarton) has come through essentially unscathed, apart from chimneys on some of the older houses and Theo's fish shop which will need to be demolished - pity, he did good f&c.

SWMBO's elderly parents who live in a very old house in Fendalton with pretty fragile looking brick chimneys were also unaffected, though a brick wall in the neighbour's place fell down.

We all thank our lucky stars we've escaped this time and sympathies go to those who didn't. Hopefully, they will get properly looked after by the system, because it could have been us.

jareemon
06-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I can only say that I think you have a little bit to learn and one is when to just shut up and leave it alone.
OK sir mr pressf1 joke policeman :yuck:

wainuitech
06-09-2010, 09:37 PM
People losing homes, billions of damage to property/ roads etc, old historical building destroyed, people losing their lively hood - Yeah one hell of a joke.

mikebartnz
06-09-2010, 09:55 PM
OK sir mr pressf1 joke policeman :yuck:
:groan:

Agent_24
06-09-2010, 11:23 PM
People losing homes, billions of damage to property/ roads etc, old historical building destroyed, people losing their lively hood - Yeah one hell of a joke.

My joke was purely related to the thread title and was in no way trying to suggest that the destruction caused by the earthquake was funny.

And that's not to say that the whole thing doesn't affect me either, I have a friend who lives in Christchurch, and I haven't heard from him at all since it happened.

As jareemon pointed out it's great that nobody has died. That's got to be a good thing, no matter how bad everything else is.

wainuitech
06-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Good thing no one got killed, a few hours later or different day and who knows.

This article / prediction (http://www.rotoruadailypost.co.nz/local/news/quake-coming-experts-warn-doom-for-rotorua-taupo-a/3698234/) in 2006 was slightly out.

Hope it don't happen, I dont think anyone would be laughing esp in the Rotorua / Taupo areas -- but the "ironic" thing is the location of the conference and the event described.

Coincidence or actual location off by a few miles ?

hueybot3000
06-09-2010, 11:53 PM
Hello again. Missin internet! The whole joke thing is fine, I expected it when I posted! Everyone is pretty happy around my area anyway. Probaly 4o percent of neighbours have left either cos they are sick of livin the camp lifestyle or the house isn't safe. Its pretty clear now that only a couple of suburbs were badly hit. But its going to be a long clean up. Still gettin plenty of aftershocks too. Funny How what used to be a wow earthquake feelin is now just a pathetic annoyin aftershock. Thanks for the Wellwishin again

:pf1mobmini:

ubergeek85
07-09-2010, 02:13 AM
In case people outside of ChCh get the idea that the whole city has been badly affected, our suburb (Riccarton) has come through essentially unscathed, apart from chimneys on some of the older houses...

Agreed. The media are sensationalizing it just a bit. Don't get me wrong, where it's bad, it's bad, but quite a bit more is OK. The ditzy ***** on prime was wording it as if 2/3rds of buildings had come down.

Got this in a police update;
The Christchurch City Council's engineers have now surveyed all 550 buildings in the central business district. City Rescue Manager Steve McCarthy said five percent of those buildings have been red stickered meaning they are deemed unsafe and unable to be entered. A further 16 percent have been given a yellow sticker, which allows for building owners to enter the property to assess the extent of the damage. The remainder have been green stickered meaning they are safe and able to be used as normal.

So, 79% of all buildings in the CBD are just fine. Good news, I guess...

gary67
07-09-2010, 07:38 AM
I guess the South Island recession will be over soon with the building industry leading the way. Christchurch workers won't be taking work outside of the area so should mean more work up here too picking up the outlying areas such as the West coast, oh joy I hate having to go away for work now and it could become more often

ubergeek85
07-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Flyover footage here; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npqx3WmNkv4

wratterus
07-09-2010, 04:57 PM
A friend of mine who works for Chorus has at least 6 weeks of solid work in Chch - he drove down first thing Saturday.

Has anyone come across any pictures of Lyttleton yet? Apparently it was a bit knackered but I haven't seen anything in news reports about it.

hueybot3000
07-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Thats an area I havent actually heard anything about. The boss is going to have a look at a job over there tomorrow so it must still be open at least, I know you can get thru the tunnel.

Im at the mrs tonight so have internet, such a luxory

ubergeek85
07-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I saw a snippet of Lyttelton on the news; the hotel looks bad.

ubergeek85
07-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Some security camera footage taken from noel leeming on moorhouse ave; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn5rlQRYztQ