PDA

View Full Version : Sound input and output

Mike
04-09-2010, 01:49 PM
I use a computer to record audio input (via line in) and also use the computer to output from a media player etc. However for some reason everything that goes in via line in is output as well, so I can't have any input while I'm outputting (even if I don't record the input).

Is there any way to stop whatever is being input from also being output at the same time??

Sound is on-board if that makes any difference?

Mike.

Mike
04-09-2010, 01:51 PM
Or is there a fault with the soundcard in the computer so that it's outputting whatever is input?

Mike.

feersumendjinn
04-09-2010, 02:23 PM
What operating system are you using?
You should be able to mute your output (separate from the input), if you right-click your speaker icon on the righthand end of your taskbar.

kahawai chaser
04-09-2010, 02:52 PM
Try clicking options on the volume control tab for windows, (in full mode - should display volume control, aux, microphone, etc) then properties - and see if the adjust volume radio button is high lighted. What software are you using for recording?

Mike
04-09-2010, 02:55 PM
What operating system are you using?
You should be able to mute your output (separate from the input), if you right-click your speaker icon on the righthand end of your taskbar.
Running Windows XP (Pro I think)

I don't want to mute my output, I just want to stop the input also being output (so anything else should still be output)... is that possible?

Mike.

Mike
04-09-2010, 02:56 PM
Try clicking options on the volume control tab for windows, (in full mode - should display volume control, aux, microphone, etc) then properties - and see if the adjust volume radio button is high lighted. What software are you using for recording?

Using Audacity for recording. The recording doesn't seem to be the issue - I have the same issue if I have nothing running... any sound input is also output.

Mike.

kahawai chaser
04-09-2010, 03:15 PM
That might mean an issue with Audacity's mixer. Have you checked it? Sometimes it's greyed out for the selections, depending on sound card driver/operating system (I recall a similar issue a while back). Try going to preferences in Audacity - Audio I/O tab to select input sources in the drop down menu. Then select input sources - to see if that prevents all sound inputs transferring to output.

Also what sort of unit are you recording from? Is it USB connected to the same PC? e.g. the TT 1100 turntable?)

SoniKalien
04-09-2010, 03:39 PM
I think you have to mute your line in / microphone in the system volume control output (not input) settings

Mike
04-09-2010, 03:44 PM
That might mean an issue with Audacity's mixer. Have you checked it? Sometimes it's greyed out for the selections, depending on sound card driver/operating system I'll have a look, but as I say, it happens with nothing open (including audacity)

Also what sort of unit are you recording from? Is it USB connected to the same PC? e.g. the TT 1100 turntable?)Line in and Line/Speaker out via sound plugs on the back of PC. It's connected to sound mixer desk.

Mike.

Mike
04-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I think you have to mute your line in / microphone in the system volume control output (not input) settingsHmmm... I'll have a look for that, I've been through most of those and don't recall seeing a line-in control in the output settings... but I'll look again.

Mike.

SoniKalien
04-09-2010, 03:56 PM
you may have to enable it in Volume Control > Options > Properties (adjust volume for playback) section thing

kahawai chaser
04-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Sounds (pun) in effect, two sound outputs might be required. Some have done this, by adding a sound card in addition to their on built in board sound. Might want to play music, and chat on skype simultaneously. But then you might need software (to turn of one of the outputs) or a sound mapper registry key (http://www.windows7taskforce.com/view/1068) or "stream switching" (noted in the url) for the card/or single sound device to control separately from the inbuilt sound. But could create issues/become tedious, unless if any simple muting option can be achieved from the input.

I think another way if you had a USB mixer, which is likely to have advanced software to control audio out put during inputs - which includes multi tracking (my mate has one for his DJ business) sounds, and likely to isolate from pc sounds (dependent on sound card) - but of course they cost.

Agent_24
05-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Windows contains two sets of volume controls "Recording" and "Playback"

'Recording' lets you select your record source (useful if your recording program can't do that itself), and change the volume level of each.

'Playback' lets you change the playback volume of all things, including any recording inputs.

What you want to do is mute your "Line-In" under 'Playback' so you can't hear it played back in real time, but it will still be recorded as long as it's selected in the other controls.

Mike
05-09-2010, 01:46 PM
I think you have to mute your line in / microphone in the system volume control output (not input) settingsThat did the trick :D thanks heaps!

Cheers,
Mike.

SoniKalien
05-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Sweet as :)