PDA

View Full Version : Quake in Christchurch.

Cicero
04-09-2010, 09:04 AM
The best shake I have felt in 50 years.

Keep getting little shocks.

Wonder if we are going to get a biggy.

Barnabas
04-09-2010, 09:07 AM
Sounds like there are no deaths or major injuries yet which is good. Hope you guys are all ok down there.

Arnie
04-09-2010, 09:29 AM
The best shake I have felt in 50 years.

Keep getting little shocks.

Wonder if we are going to get a biggy.

You have had it already 7.4:help:

gary67
04-09-2010, 09:31 AM
Yes SWMBO's friends business has been flattened

Metla
04-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Maybe I was a little hasty getting out of the demolition industry......

:pf1mobmini:

xyz823
04-09-2010, 09:36 AM
Felt it down here it timaru, shook my room quite violently!

Marnie
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Sister in law phoned just after 7am. My niece's car was 3 feet underground. The main thing is there have been no reported fatalities.
Hearing of looters is just sickening.

Cicero
04-09-2010, 09:42 AM
Maybe I was a little hasty getting out of the demolition industry......

I was under the impression you were still in it in Wellybob?

somebody
04-09-2010, 09:45 AM
I jumped out of bed when it hit (I'm in Wellington).

prefect
04-09-2010, 09:52 AM
Ch Ch rocks.

Lurking
04-09-2010, 10:13 AM
Hearing of looters is just sickening.

Another reason to arm the Police and where is the Army, sorry Afghan. and elsewhere.

Lurking.

Ps. best I have felt in over 70 years.

bob_doe_nz
04-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Hope you guys are OK.

nofam
04-09-2010, 10:22 AM
Thoughts and best wishes to anyone in Christchurch, and anyone with family there - hope the damage isn't too extensive. . . :dogeye:

Nothing out of place here in Mosgiel, but it was still a good'un!

Trev
04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Here. (http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/3366241g.html)
:)

Lurking
04-09-2010, 10:52 AM
Hope you guys are OK.

Thanks for your concerns.

Radio Live have been good company.

Lived in Sthn. Hawkes Bay for 30 years and had plenty of small ones back then, but this one very frightening.

Hope it doesn't upset the two extinct volcanoes here, Lyttleton and Akaroa!

Lurks.

Strommer
04-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Watching it on TV now. Worse than I first thought.

State of emergency. Not good at all.

John H
04-09-2010, 11:30 AM
We used to get beauties in our years in Wgtn, but nothing like this one. This is the biggest, loudest, and longest I have ever experienced. Wgtn quakes are "bang" and they are over; Canterbury shakes seem to go on forever. I can recall experiencing a couple of after shocks with past quakes in Wgtn, but we have had an amazing number with this one.

When we bought this house, the LIM said it was in an earthquake liquefaction zone, and I thought yeah, yeah, whatever. I wasn't thinking like that at 4.30am... And the fact that the water heating cylinder is in the ceiling got more than a passing thought whilst the quake was happening.

Total damage - two crystal glasses, and one cut thumb (from me cleaning up the shards).

ManUFan
04-09-2010, 11:30 AM
Hope everyone is ok!

Woke us up over here on the sunny West Coast too.

rob_on_guitar
04-09-2010, 11:32 AM
2 of our sites lost windows on moorehouse ave and manchester st, doesnt seem to be structural damage though so far.

bob_doe_nz
04-09-2010, 11:35 AM
It's on the beeb.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11183685

stu161204
04-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Hope everyone in Christchurch is OK, and stay safe :)

stu161204
04-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Photos: http://www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/exclusive-photos-25-midcity-mayhem-following-74-quake

SurferJoe46
04-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Hopefully youse guys are all OK.

I just heard about - been playing bass all afternoon here.

We had a tiny one - 2.9 this 02:12 morning,

goodiesguy
04-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I felt it abit down here in Mosgiel, but nothing was damaged

Lurking
04-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Hopefully youse guys are all OK.

I just heard about - been playing bass all afternoon here.

We had a tiny one - 2.9 this 02:12 morning,

Hi SJ, ours downgraded to 7 to 7.1, getting plenty of after shocks right now 11.25am Pacific time.

California gets far more than Canterbury, your fault line much longer and deeper.

Water is going to be tankered in and rationed.

Lurking.

QW.
04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Hope all of you that are in the Christchurch area are OK.

Paul.Cov
04-09-2010, 04:50 PM
It seems the more 'spectacular' damage is from entire brick walls toppling. Also of interest, is that studying the photos seems to show that in the majority of cases it is a double layered wall of bricks that has fallen.

Perhaps it's just the nature of bricks (high mass, zero flexibility) which makes them part ways during a side-to-side shake, or is this more an example of sloppy construction standards, and/or one layer of bricks put up on the cheap to hide an even dodgier layer of bricks?

On the other hand, maybe it is also a factor of the old historic buildings that make parts of ChCh so beautiful.

In hindsight, perhaps bricks are great for their low, low maintenance, but are not suited to areas succeptible to shakes.

The geonet website even shows the quake and aftershocks clearly registered up in Whangarei... not that we've felt anything up here in the North.

Metla
04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
How many modern buildings do you see using bricks as a structural member?

Bricks are good for dressing up houses and little else.

Back in the day the mortar would have been a mixture of sand and lime, and the rain washes away the lime, leaving a wall built out of thousands of little blocks with a layer of sand.

The only thing holding up those walls for the last 50 years has been gravity.

Metla
04-09-2010, 04:59 PM
But never fear, the wooden structures in those old crappers will be past their use-by date as well.

R.M.
04-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Well, it woke me up - in Invercargill...

John H
04-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Our house is three years old, and brick. When the shake was going, I couldn't believe that the bricks could be flexible enough to withstand the tensions, but there is nary a crack (well, none visible). A neighbour told me that it is the mortar that goes, not the bricks, and as our mortar is so new, it doesn't let go (compared with the older buildings as you say).

A friend from Halswell has said that their subdivision has had some problems - in one house, the foundation pad cracked, and liquefaction has occurred underneath, squirting silt into the house. Other outside problems - 200mm of silt layer erupted in the liquefaction process squirted from beneath house pads and paving. Yuck.

R2x1
04-09-2010, 05:17 PM
If it had happened a month or three earlier, Cicero may have had far fewer hassles getting his tank fixed.

jwil1
04-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Slept through it, didn't feel a thing

hostopia
04-09-2010, 08:15 PM
when was this quake?

jareemon
04-09-2010, 08:28 PM
4:30 ish this am apparantly

Jeff
04-09-2010, 09:06 PM
I am in Burwood (NE ChCh), it gave my house quit a shake. Inspected the house and as far as I can tell not a scratch. Went for a walk around the block and there does not appear to be much damage in my neighbourhood.
We have power but no water yet in my area.

It is the aftershocks that are annoying. You don't think they are ever going to stop.

Jeff.:annoyed:

PS. Anyone interested in T-Shirts that say "I survived the 2010 quake in Christchurch"

Off for a game of Quake.

The Error Guy
04-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Mates of mine there say that It was mainly the coastal areas and CBD affected. their house it one happy chappy. that and they have 4x 30,000 liter tanks full atm. another reason why NZ's should all get some nice rainwater. we only have 2x 1500l ones but it's better than nothing. mostly used as header tanks for when old faithful fails to pump up from the river fast enough

Cicero
05-09-2010, 10:24 AM
If it had happened a month or three earlier, Cicero may have had far fewer hassles getting his tank fixed.

I thoughts entirely.

martynz
05-09-2010, 11:07 AM
My Quad FM tuner is under repair in Chch.
If its kaput who makes a claim?
Perhaps the PC techs. on here have an answer.
Btw I'm not going to start phoning tomorrow.

Battleneter2
05-09-2010, 12:31 PM
I am in Burwood (NE ChCh), it gave my house quit a shake. Inspected the house and as far as I can tell not a scratch. Went for a walk around the block and there does not appear to be much damage in my neighbourhood.
We have power but no water yet in my area.

It is the aftershocks that are annoying. You don't think they are ever going to stop.

PS. Anyone interested in T-Shirts that say "I survived the 2010 quake in Christchurch"

Off for a game of Quake.

I am in Westhaven Burwood as well, beer fell out of my beer fridge and smashed on the ground in the garage, I dropped to my knees and screamed for hours!

But yea our house and others around here seem unscratched.

DeSade
05-09-2010, 01:57 PM
Aidenfield for me our in Halswell, doesn't seem to be any damage cept our favourite coffee plunger and a model car which fell off the shelves.

Lil'bit (4yr old) was fairly scared and has taken to hiding under a blanket at the aftershocks.

Jeff
05-09-2010, 02:27 PM
Battleneter2 - The beer at my place survived intact. Will drink one in memory of your fallen beer.

Anyway the water is back on but the hot water pressure is not good. I suspect sediment got stirred up in the old hot water cylinder and could be clogging things up. Time to get a plumber.
Have already lodged a claim with the EQC. Thank god for the internet.

Now if the bloody aftershocks would stop. They are not good for the nerves.

ubergeek85
05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Just got power here in Dunsandel.

Had landlines the whole time, got water roughly 16 hours after the quake.

Fk me, it turned my bed into a rollercoaster. Work was a bloody mess. Jars of chutney, bottles of wine, beer, cider, juice, jams, between 40-60% of stock on hand. The milk is probably a lost cause.

The floor is damn sticky, too.

Drove to Rolleston yesterday, the pub was open, so picked up some piss, came back home, had a bbq. Not too bad, really.

Only lost a few bowls. Been listening to the scanner, cops have been kept busy.

Dad was driving the taxi when it hit, he was by the hospital. By the time he got to Riccarton Rd (a 2-min drive), people were already looting.

We took our own.... precautions.... here.

hueybot3000
05-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Hey people. Things are a bit messy. I think it hit worst on my side of town. Quite a few neighbours will be needin new houses. Sucks havin no water or power. Especially on a weekend. Our house itself is ok, lost the chimney but it didnt go thru roof so easy to cover. **** everywhere thou. Glass everywhere and if something could fall over it has. I have a few cool pics of stuff taken with phone cam. Will upload them when we get power back. Still gettin plenty of shakes. Had a couple of good ones this mornin which rudely woke me up but nothin like the big one. At least everyones ok. Road's in my area are a bit unusable and plenty of floodin but the council are bein pretty good about it. Nothin to do except drink, play guitar and piss on the fence. I live opposite the avon river which people think doesn't help. Houses have moved around heaps and brick ones are sinkin. My old primary school is pretty stuffed and the church there snapped down the middle and is sinkin. All pretty exciting thou. Can a mod tidy this post. To much effort on a phone.

John H
05-09-2010, 03:42 PM
SWMBO went to two supermarkets in Rangiora this am. Both were only allowing a few people in at a time, and there was a big queue in both places. When she arrived, the rain and wind hit, and it would have been really unpleasant waiting outside so she came home. It must be really messy in there - presumably the staff have been cleaning up since early Sat.

There was a queue for the petrol pumps in Woodend, and apparently there was a huge queue there all day yesterday. Why does everyone want fuel?

SurferJoe46
05-09-2010, 04:33 PM
SWMBO went to two supermarkets in Rangiora this am. Both were only allowing a few people in at a time, and there was a big queue in both places. When she arrived, the rain and wind hit, and it would have been really unpleasant waiting outside so she came home. It must be really messy in there - presumably the staff have been cleaning up since early Sat.

Easy for me in the Northern Hemisphere to incorrectly think it's still Summer there too - but youse guys are still in the bad part of Winter - right?

That sux.

There was a queue for the petrol pumps in Woodend, and apparently there was a huge queue there all day yesterday. Why does everyone want fuel?

Perhaps if they fill their cars up they can drive to the US where our earthquakes are friendlier and less damaging.

Be sure to roll the windows up tight and hit the water at 185 MPH though in high gear.

Hopefully none of youse guys are homeless and sitting in a dark pub somewhere waiting it out drinking warm beer.

John H
05-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Easy for me in the Northern Hemisphere to incorrectly think it's still Summer there too - but youse guys are still in the bad part of Winter - right?

That sux. (snip

1st September is officially the first day of spring, but Mother Nature doesn't take much account of calendars. We have had forecast gale force winds for today in Canterbury, and it was windy, but hardly galeforce. However, there is a southerly storm yet to come, which is adding insult to injury.

The Mayor of the Waimakariri District (north of ChCh where I live) has just been quoted on National Radio as saying that the stopbanks of the Waimakariri River are cracked from the quakes, and with the rainfall we are expecting, there is the risk of a breach. A memory of my childhood is the huge floods we used to get before the stopbanks were built, so it looks like we may have swapped one risk for another.

SWMBO has just told me the news media are saying there are 1000's of homeless because of the damage to homes. Hard to believe it could be that bad. PS I must listen more carefully - she said up to 1000... I will listen more carefully to my wife, I will listen more carefully...

Metla
05-09-2010, 06:32 PM
I was under the impression you were still in it in Wellybob?

Nope, Civil construction/infrastructure, Namely the major upgrade of the Wellington CBD/Manners mall bus routes.

Roading/kerbing, ducting/services, drainage, paving, footpaths, citylink, power poles, etc etc etc.

Wonder if they will send me down to ChCh next? seems they have a few infrastructure issues....

FoxyMX
06-09-2010, 02:26 PM
It seems the more 'spectacular' damage is from entire brick walls toppling. Also of interest, is that studying the photos seems to show that in the majority of cases it is a double layered wall of bricks that has fallen.

Perhaps it's just the nature of bricks (high mass, zero flexibility) which makes them part ways during a side-to-side shake, or is this more an example of sloppy construction standards, and/or one layer of bricks put up on the cheap to hide an even dodgier layer of bricks?

On the other hand, maybe it is also a factor of the old historic buildings that make parts of ChCh so beautiful.

The buildings that have collapsed have mainly been old, double/triple brick walled. Combined with a lack of timber framing to fasten the bricks to as is done these days, and the poor condition of the mortar there was, as Metla said, nothing but gravity to hold them up.

As far as I am concerned we are better off without such buildings so good riddance to them.

The newer, more modern brick buildings have mostly been OK. Some have had such a good shaking that their foundations wobbled a good 6 inches, leaving a big gap between the foundations and the dirt surrounding them.

Queenspark Drive in Parklands and Mairehau Road have some impressive cracks and holes in it east of Burwood Hospital. The workmen are currently filling them in and straightening the power poles that have been leaning at almost 45 degrees since Saturday morning.

Gobe1
06-09-2010, 02:37 PM

Thats a blardy good question.....Plus having a bit of cash would come in handy by the looks

DeSade
06-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Thats a blardy good question.....Plus having a bit of cash would come in handy by the looks

People equate earthquake with Tsunami and want fuel to be able to flee just in case.

John H
06-09-2010, 04:00 PM
People equate earthquake with Tsunami and want fuel to be able to flee just in case.

That may be a key reason, sort of like panic buying at supermarkets. However, SWMBO has another theory - the buyers may have come out from ChCh because there was no power to many of the service stations in the city. 50km round trip to get a tank of gas?

SurferJoe46
06-09-2010, 04:08 PM

That may be a key reason, sort of like panic buying at supermarkets. However, SWMBO has another theory - the buyers may have come out from ChCh because there was no power to many of the service stations in the city. 50km round trip to get a tank of gas?

I think I can tell you why I thought of a Tsunami right away.

Youse guys live on an island nation and naturally (to me, maybe not youse guys) water and earthquakes are running hand-in-hand as somewhat primary creators of Tsunamis.

Just concerned if I should be making CARE packages with cases of Cherry Kool-Aid for shipping when you get your water back and can make ice cubes again. I can also send paper cups in case all youse guys glassware is destructo'd.

I await your request, as usual, your servant.

ubergeek85
06-09-2010, 04:11 PM
SJ, it turns out that your government was actually ahead of the ball there - they've already offered aid. For some reason, parliament turned it down.

Gobe1
06-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Fair enough Joe
Generally the tsunami will be going away from the quake.....People should have been filling up in Dunedin or Wellington, or Chatham Islands

John H
06-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I think I can tell you why I thought of a Tsunami right away.

Youse guys live on an island nation and naturally (to me, maybe not youse guys) water and earthquakes are running hand-in-hand as somewhat primary creators of Tsunamis.(snip)

Um, I think a tsunami is generated when the quake is under the sea, not under the land. This one was quite a few kilometres inland (that is 'quite a few gallons' in US measurement).

SurferJoe46
06-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Um, I think a tsunami is generated when the quake is under the sea, not under the land. This one was quite a few kilometres inland (that is 'quite a few gallons' in US measurement).

Yeah - but then again, in Upsidedown Land, physical laws and the Time/Space Continuum are all backwards and even Steven Hawking said youse guys was exempt of them.

SolMiester
06-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Yeah - but then again, in Upsidedown Land, physical laws and the Time/Space Continuum are all backwards and even Steven Hawking said youse guys was exempt of them.

Dont forget here in upside-down land, we are also in the future, so the space time continuum is out of wack.

SurferJoe46
06-09-2010, 06:06 PM
<sigh!> I guess so - that's why you drive on the L-side of the road too.

bob_doe_nz
06-09-2010, 08:07 PM
This one was quite a few kilometres inland (that is 'quite a few gallons' in US measurement).

Kilometres is a unit of distance. Gallons is a unit of volume.

gary67
06-09-2010, 09:06 PM
<sigh!> I guess so - that's why you drive on the Correct side of the road.

Fixed your typo for you Joe

John H
06-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Kilometres is a unit of distance. Gallons is a unit of volume.

Sigh... Had a humour bypass have we?

bob_doe_nz
07-09-2010, 12:13 AM
No. Just a roddy_boy moment. :devil:rolleyes::blush:

--Wolf--
07-09-2010, 12:46 AM
Just had 2 really bad aftershocks in the last 20 mins. First aftershocks to knock stuff off my shelves.

Also to add, there was a building that fully collapsed by itself earlier today down Cranford St.

EDIT: First one (11.25pm tonight was a 5.2, second one was much worse, and longer, but GeoNet hasn't updated with that one yet)

EDIT2: And another....

hueybot3000
07-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Cheers for that wolf. I was wondering cos that last one was pretty decent

--Wolf--
07-09-2010, 01:06 AM
http://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html

I'm thinking it was the 5.4 one (although it seemed worse imo, I almost considered going outside for the first time). Although I would've said that 4.0 was the one that came after it but maybe there's just so many now that they're blending together.

Interestingly from 4.30am Sunday morning I was up at at work but I did not feel a single quake until late afternoon/evening when I felt a couple, even though there were 4's and 5's constantly throughout the day. Been feeling them today however.

Trev
07-09-2010, 09:00 AM
All we are hearing by the media is the quake in Christchurch, what about surrounding areas like Ashburton, Lyttleton, Arturs Pass, Otira, were there any land slides in the Southern Alps etc.

Trev
07-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Did the quake do this to Christchurche's Airport.

Nomad
07-09-2010, 11:50 AM
for those buildings which are deemed unsafe are people allowed to take most important personal belongings out of their property?

John H
07-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Just had a visit from our Civil Defence co-ordinator. He is going around the neighbourhood saying we are supposed to be boiling water before drinking it. SWMBO and I have been drinking from the tap since the earthquake without apparent problems... They have never been specific about where the boiling water warnings applied - because all the concentration has been in ChCh (and latterly Kaiapoi) I assumed it didn't apply to us. Oh well.

John H
07-09-2010, 02:24 PM
All we are hearing by the media is the quake in Christchurch, what about surrounding areas like Ashburton, Lyttleton, Arturs Pass, Otira, were there any land slides in the Southern Alps etc.

Yes, the silence since you posted that indicates that we are all in the same fog of ignorance. Darfield has had some coverage because of the road and the Deans family homestead, but that has been it.

Trev
07-09-2010, 02:45 PM
I suppose one thing good that has come out of this is that it has probably slowed the boy racers down abit.

DeSade
07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
If anyone in Christchurch is watching this I just heard the army has been put on high alert in the city, they are expecting something.

ubergeek85
07-09-2010, 07:00 PM
goodie...

hueybot3000
07-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I wait in anticipation

bob_doe_nz
07-09-2010, 08:03 PM
I wonder if anyone has set up some basic solar stills for collecting water and such. Isn't that what Ray Mears and Bear Grylls showed us all to do?

hueybot3000
07-09-2010, 09:17 PM
If anyone in Christchurch is watching this I just heard the army has been put on high alert in the city, they are expecting something.

Where did you hear this? A couple other people have heard the same but not gettin anymore info

--Wolf--
07-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Heard we are expecting a 6.x within the next 36 or 48 hours.

I don't personally believe it. First there was going to be a 6 within the first 48 hours, there wasn't. Then they were expecting a bigger than 7 one within 36 hours - nope.

Good on them for being on high alert but we can't keep doing it forever.

DeSade
07-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Where did you hear this? A couple other people have heard the same but not gettin anymore info

I have a friend in the Civil Defense.

But your right, no further information is forthcoming.

hueybot3000
07-09-2010, 11:15 PM
Oh right, we had a bit of a sudden shock before but thats it

Edit: was only a 3.9, felt like more

ubergeek85
08-09-2010, 02:15 AM
Just had a big-ish one a while ago. I like 'em.

SurferJoe46
08-09-2010, 03:56 AM
Yeah - we get updates that tell us youse guys will get serious aftershocks for a while yet.

I personally like EQs, but I've never been in one that actually caused me any grief and destruction to any of my effects.

We had that big Landers/BigBear quake that was - what, a 7.6 or so? Just an 'E-Ticket Ride' for me as I watched building fall down around me.

Youse guy, OTOH, don't have too many places that would be exempt of destruction if this gets worse or even just keeps status quo.

My heart and prayers go out to you and yours and hope all come through this with a big grin and say: "Wasn't that neat" when it's all over.

I wish I could be there to help.

ubergeek85
08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
Hot off the press;

Canterbury Police are aware of a rumour circulating that there is a fire at the Lyttelton petrol tank facility. In conjunction with the New Zealand Fire Service we can confirm that this is untrue. The petrol storage facilities are secure.

--Wolf--
08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
It was a 4.1 this morning, just before 8am. And man was it bad. Different location (near Diamond Harbour)

That is the first quake to have me running for a doorway, esp being at work with crap falling everywhere.

Ended up evacuating for a while and they were just discovering a few cracks in the walls before I left.

DeSade
08-09-2010, 04:43 PM
Magnitude 3.1, Wednesday, September 8 2010 at 3:00 pm (NZST), Within 5 km of Christchurch.

This one was about 4 blocks away.......

Brucem
08-09-2010, 04:52 PM
The aftershocks just keep coming, we could do without them. Everytime it happens, our dogs think that they are being invaded. Here in Sydenham/Beckenham, beside the Heathcote River our 33 year old brick house has only lost a couple of handfulls of pointing from the wall/soffit joint. A few ornaments, a large potplant container, and a photo frame broken. Just a couple of hundred metres away some liquifaction in a street. A 21inch (CRT) TV has fallen off a dresser twice, the last time this am. It still lies there, as it cant fall any further. After the first fall it still worked!

ubergeek85
08-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Just came across this, seemed appropriate.

Brucem
08-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I have just had this link referred to to me. It is a time lapse picture of the Canterbury quakes since Saturday am.
http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz

wratterus
08-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Man someone has too much time on their hands, that is pretty cool.

SurferJoe46
08-09-2010, 06:26 PM
It was a 4.1 this morning, just before 8am. And man was it bad. Different location (near Diamond Harbour)

That is the first quake to have me running for a doorway, esp being at work with crap falling everywhere.

Ended up evacuating for a while and they were just discovering a few cracks in the walls before I left.

The Seismological unit here in the US says that many people are injured by standing under their doorways, since the house can 'rack' and crush them.

The newest and most logical place to stay in next to your bed or under a very substantial piece of heavy furniture or table - since it's pretty solid and can offer a good area to keep an air space.

SurferJoe46
08-09-2010, 06:31 PM
I have just had this link referred to to me. It is a time lapse picture of the Canterbury quakes since Saturday am.
http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz

Seems like they are located between those two rivers, mostly.

faith1806
08-09-2010, 06:45 PM
there are so many quakes in the world these years, and hope u recover your composure, best wishes

--Wolf--
08-09-2010, 07:52 PM
The Seismological unit here in the US says that many people are injured by standing under their doorways, since the house can 'rack' and crush them.

The newest and most logical place to stay in next to your bed or under a very substantial piece of heavy furniture or table - since it's pretty solid and can offer a good area to keep an air space.

I was at work...

The door was a massive double swingy door type thing, so probably pretty safe.

How can staying next to your bed prevent you from being hurt btw?

wainuitech
08-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Just looking at that Link that shows the location of the quakes.

I made a silly comment to a friend that the land may be sinking if Christchurch is not careful and you'll be under water soon if it all moves to much, he came back saying it used to be :confused:

So I looked up several old maps of NZ (http://www.nhc.net.nz/index/museum-new-zealand/cooks%20map.jpg) and this one (http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.captcook-ne.co.uk/ccne/exhibits/10308/10308.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.captcook-ne.co.uk/ccne/exhibits/10308/index.htm&usg=__X8NTi1RroLX3e0xcuuJsh7ML_64=&h=510&w=546&sz=53&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=ksAsvorOBpQzJM:&tbnh=166&tbnw=178&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCaptain%2Bcook%27s%2Bmap%2Bof%2Bnew%2 BZealand%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1399% 26bih%3D825%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=149&vpy=90&dur=570&hovh=175&hovw=188&tx=119&ty=82&ei=Kz-HTIuhO4WcsQOuxLSXCg&oei=5j2HTOH-HIf0tgOCkaSLCg&esq=12&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0)from Capt Cook - get your water wings out guys, the place may be going back to how it was many years ago :eek: look at the gap where ChCh is now.

WalOne
08-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Just looking at that Link that shows the location of the quakes.

I made a silly comment to a friend that the land may be sinking if Christchurch is not careful and you'll be under water soon if it all moves to much, he came back saying it used to be :confused:

So I looked up several old maps of NZ (http://www.nhc.net.nz/index/museum-new-zealand/cooks%20map.jpg) and this one (http://www.google.co.nz/imgres?imgurl=http://www.captcook-ne.co.uk/ccne/exhibits/10308/10308.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.captcook-ne.co.uk/ccne/exhibits/10308/index.htm&usg=__X8NTi1RroLX3e0xcuuJsh7ML_64=&h=510&w=546&sz=53&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=ksAsvorOBpQzJM:&tbnh=166&tbnw=178&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCaptain%2Bcook%27s%2Bmap%2Bof%2Bnew%2 BZealand%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1399% 26bih%3D825%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=149&vpy=90&dur=570&hovh=175&hovw=188&tx=119&ty=82&ei=Kz-HTIuhO4WcsQOuxLSXCg&oei=5j2HTOH-HIf0tgOCkaSLCg&esq=12&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0)from Capt Cook - get your water wings out guys, the place may be going back to how it was many years ago :eek: look at the gap where ChCh is now.

A logical assumption. Historically though, the view is Capt Cook made an error in assuming Banks Peninsula was an island, and that Stewart Island was a peninsula. Didn't early maps also show Cook Strait as a bay? But who knows what was going through the minds of Cook and his cartographer? Hopefully Cantabrians won't have to go through any more upsets.

SurferJoe46
09-09-2010, 03:42 AM
I was at work...

The door was a massive double swingy door type thing, so probably pretty safe.

How can staying next to your bed prevent you from being hurt btw?

The safest place to be in an earthquake is under a doorway. That's true only if you live in an unreinforced adobe home.

In a modern structure the doorway is no stronger than the rest of the building. Actually, you're more likely to be hurt (by the door swinging wildly) in a doorway. And in a public building, you could be in danger from people trying to hurry outside. If you're inside, get under a table or desk and hang on to it.

Quoted from the USGS

"In the early days of California, many homes were made of adobe bricks with wooden doorframes. After a powerful earthquake, doorframes were sometimes only parts of these houses still standing. From this came the myth that a doorway is the safest place to be during an earthquake. Today, few people in the Bay Area live in old, unreinforced adobe houses. In modern houses, doorways may be no stronger than any other part of the house and do little to protect you from falling debris. You are safer under a table, so “DROP, COVER, AND HOLD ON.”"

The bed - where most people are while they are asleep, is quite substantial and will create a zone of protection if you side up to it as close but not under the bed as you can get.

Thinking of a doorway as being safe and not even considering a bed or heavy piece of furniture as safer can create a lot of confusion for people just trying to ride-out a quake and they are actually in more jeopardy if they aren't in the safest place at the moment.

Getting up out of bed to stand in a doorway is not a good idea.

Seems that if you are in the house during an earthquake, then most likely the time period you are asleep is a larger percentage of your time spend in the home and the bed is a very safe and easily accessible place since you're already sleeping on it. Just roll off and hunker to the floor next to it.

If, however, you were drunk when you returned home and only made it to the front yard - stay there as long as there are no trees or powerlines within a 45º from-base drop-zone near you.

ubergeek85
09-09-2010, 03:51 AM
**** there was another one, not a smallie either...

Brucem
09-09-2010, 11:00 AM
A potential disaster averted: my wife said the screen on the computer is dead! Looked as if I would have to buy a new one, until I checked, and found that the monitor power lead had been shaken out of the monitor. Damned earthquakes!

Nomad
10-09-2010, 12:05 PM
The earthquake may make me get a 2.5" portable HDD.
They can be used much easier with USB, without a power lead.

Should it happen, I take the P-HD and I am out the door .... laptop and stuff can be left there.

DeSade
10-09-2010, 12:13 PM
The ones early last night were right on top of us, about 5k away, stuff that.....

bluezone
14-09-2010, 06:33 PM
I got one of the USB earthquake units installed today.

2 lovely hot chicks popped in and set it up. :drool

Some screenshots of the unit running.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/Markdeg2009/Other%20things%202/screenshot1.jpg

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/Markdeg2009/Other%20things%202/screenshot2.jpg

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/Markdeg2009/Other%20things%202/screenshot3.jpg

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/Markdeg2009/Other%20things%202/screenshot4.jpg

This one I found when I pressed a wrong key lol.
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/Markdeg2009/Other%20things%202/screenshot5.jpg

The Hitcher
14-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Pics of chics or gtfo ;)

bluezone
14-09-2010, 08:21 PM
lol sorry I didnt get photos of them. :( damit.

DeSade
15-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Pics of chics or gtfo ;)

+1 Epic Fail!!

Trev
15-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Heres (http://www.crashbang.co.nz/quake040910/index.html) some pictures of the quake.

zqwerty
15-09-2010, 04:12 PM
Best pictures I've seen so far, very good, thanks.

bluezone
15-09-2010, 11:57 PM
here we go.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/Markdeg2009/Other%20things%202/bigshake.jpg

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww134/Markdeg2009/Other%20things%202/bigshake2.jpg

Im watching the Xfiles and got headphones on and I just about crap my self. Was thinking someone was behind me and wiggled my chair.

Gobe1
16-09-2010, 09:14 AM
hahaha that pretty cool bluezone

Cicero
18-09-2010, 01:14 PM
You will like this....................not a lot.......

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

--Wolf--
18-09-2010, 02:05 PM
You will like this....................not a lot.......

http://www.christchurchquakemap.co.nz/

Very very old now....

Cicero
18-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Very very old now....

Indeed,for those that have seen it,I most certainly had not.

Snorkbox
18-09-2010, 07:25 PM
Indeed,for those that have seen it,I most certainly had not.

If you had clicked on the link in post #91 by SurferJoe46 in this thread you would have though. Or perhaps you have him blocked maybe in which case you would not have.

Trev
18-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Yes there have been 2 other links already posted to this site.

Cicero
19-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Such is life,I some times wonder how I make it through the day.

What with all this triplication.